Gransnet forums

Health

exercise bikes and knees

(5 Posts)
Nonogran Fri 13-Mar-20 13:44:34

Exercise bikes are great but if the seat is too low it causes the knee to bend too much which is painful. At my physio classes the physio lady lifted the seat and hey presto, it was less painful. Result! Charliegirl is right. Try before you buy!

Charleygirl5 Fri 13-Mar-20 13:34:54

A few years ago, before my knee replacements, I bought an exercise bike for the same reason but it and I did not get on. I found it was an expensive mistake so I was pleased to sell it. I would say try before you buy.

Nonogran Fri 13-Mar-20 13:28:20

I've had a knee replacement ten years ago and apart from the odd twinge it's still going strong and pain free. Meanwhile the other knee is a killer but if I take Naproxin (NSAID) I get gut issues. I've done/am doing everything to strengthen the muscles supporting the knees including four weeks of physio classes, which helped. However, I recently started on Turmeric capsules and lo and behold, walked 3500 steps with my dog this morning, reasonably pain free! Got myself a Fit Bit so I know exactly how far I walk each day. Turmeric might be the way to go but you need to take it regularly. Physio advised me "little and often" to build muscle strength. Take short walks and build them up. Make it part of your routine. Housework and walking around the house isn't quite the same. Mind over matter helps too! I will not give in. I dread the prospect of being a shuffling old woman!

FlexibleFriend Fri 13-Mar-20 10:41:39

No knee pain is usually caused by loss of cartilage in the joints and the more you use those joints the more you destroy cartilage. Try something that doesn't put so much strain on your joints, stretching and yoga etc.

blueskies Fri 13-Mar-20 10:33:37

I have started to get aches in my joints mainly my knees--sometimes it is painful to walk. I am wondering if it is worth buying an exercise bike. Would it help to keep my knees flexible? especially if I am self isolating.