Gransnet forums

Health

No longer testing for CV.

(90 Posts)
annep1 Fri 13-Mar-20 17:57:12

My son.and partner were sent home and are in isolation with symptoms. 111 tells them people are no longer being tested. They have to stay at home 7 days. Thats all the advice given (apart from handwashing etc ) Surely it's better to let people know if they have it or not. I don't understand this policy. And at what stage are you considered to be in need of hospitalisation, Seems a bit vague

maddyone Sat 14-Mar-20 13:55:03

And this is precisely why we should be testing, then flowers would know if she has Coronavirus or not.

flowersfromheaven Sat 14-Mar-20 13:30:06

I have kept my self indoors because Monday that's just gone I started with a funny cough an headache come Tuesday all my body ache and sweating up not thinking nowt bout it I phoned doctors she ask all the question bout have u been in contact with anyone who's got it my rely is how do I know as I was traveling on 4 Manchester trains from Piccadilly and 1 from stockport the week before and I work in a supermarket so I do not know, Any way I'm off work and from hearing that anyone with a cough an fever should self isolate for 7 days that is what I am doing weather it is or not I do not want any one to catch it, better to be safe than sorry. I know it's not flu because I have had my flu in November.

railman Sat 14-Mar-20 13:16:50

This is what the NHS web site stated on Wednesday:

PHE has developed a highly sensitive test to detect the virus, one of the first countries in the world to do so, which has been rapidly rolled out to their regional labs across the country.

What is the test ? What does it involve, what data does the Government have on the numbers known to have the infection, and in which areas/regions they are?

They could progressively restrict travel to and from those areas/regions, and 'mass gatherings', as has been done in other countries. But perhaps that would risk being more transparent about what information they have, how it has been interpreted, and whether just wheeling out some lowly Government minister on Breakfast telly (as happened today), with sweeping generalisations will satisfy our need to know.

Thankfully, community groups are springing up - a local pub near me has published an offer on social media / Facebook, offering help.

Good job we underfunded social care and the NHS and other public services for the last decade - at least we know we have to rely on our own actions. With any luck, Johnson and his tribe will not be with us for too long with the dithering and delays

The currently available PHE/NHS link is this one:
www.england.nhs.uk/2020/03/nhs-to-ramp-up-coronavirus-testing-labs/

knspol Sat 14-Mar-20 12:58:51

I think it's simply because we don't have the resources ( people/test kits/labs etc) to test so many people but probably the govt don't want to admit this. Doesn't seem to make sense otherwise.

Noanana Sat 14-Mar-20 12:49:00

ALANaV, same sick sense of humour! Same monty python words spoken in jest yesterday.
There are so many questions to ask and be answered. It’s good to read other people’s thought and concerns. A bug free community. Thankyou all for the discussion.
Driving 400miles tomorrow to visit 94 yr old FIL. Don’t really want to go but DH does. He doesn’t drive. I’m sure/hope M6 travelers will be responsible at service stations ??.
Oh and ALANaV...what restaurant staff? !

annep1 Sat 14-Mar-20 12:43:19

I didn't know that Chestnut. Why have we stopped??

Maremia Sat 14-Mar-20 12:39:22

Riggie
'Do this government know what they are doing?' What did Matt Hancock say about being in touch with suppliers, and that there will be no shortages? Suppliers say there was no discussion, and we have all seen the empty shelves. Think that evidentially answers the question posed.
Is anyone aware of efforts to recruit and re-train the retired NHS workers?

ALANaV Sat 14-Mar-20 12:30:23

Ha ...like many others...I feel it is government decision to get rid of a lot of old expensive people !!!! if we cannot go out and have no one to bring food etc to leave outside the door (should I paint a red cross on my door ?)….nothing in the budget for social care …..how long before horses and carts are roaming the streets crying Bring out YOur dead....except here is no one here o take my body out !! Not funny I know, but if we ddnt laugh we'd cry ! I have had a cruise cancelled (was going next week) and am waiting to see if another holiday to Russia in June will be going the same way ….I have bought a holiday lodge now so will just go there to self isolate and get the restaurant staff to leave meals outside the door ...so glad I decided to buy it ..on the coast overlooking the sea (unless the holiday park is also closed !!! grin ut hope you all stay safe !

okimherenow Sat 14-Mar-20 12:11:59

I read elsewhere that statistically it can be calculated how many people have or had the virus through death rates.
Sort of working backwards.
But we're not at that stage yet are we?
Of course this won't tell you and me whether we've had it or not.

Chestnut Sat 14-Mar-20 11:58:26

Farawaynanny What is the point of testing? There’s no cure, it’s a waste of time and resources.
Because we need to know who has had it and who hasn't! I don't want to isolate myself from my family for ever more because they may be carrying it, when they could have had it months before.

Sparklefizz Sat 14-Mar-20 11:54:44

Why are we being told to stay at home for 7 days if we have any symptoms when initially people were quarantined for 14 days and yet still developed symptoms after that?

Sparklefizz Sat 14-Mar-20 11:50:17

I imagine it's the cost plus lack of medical staff.

crazygranny Sat 14-Mar-20 11:42:37

In countries which successfully brought down numbers testing went as follows
1. When entering any organisation each person's temperature is taken
2. If they have a fever they have their details taken and are given a slip to report to a test centre.
3. Further questioning and testing then identifies whether they have a cold or flu and not Covid
4. Those with respiratory issues are then tested for other strains of pneumonia
5. Scanning (resources thrown in heavily here) confirms Covid
6. Isolation takes place in specific medically supervised centres where patients can be cared for if their condition worsens or merely observed.
7. Those who do not develop symptoms are housed until their quarantine is over and released
We've seen what works. Why are we not doing the same?

crazygranny Sat 14-Mar-20 11:29:57

China and South Korea have been successful in bringing down numbers of those affected due to their thorough testing and isolation procedures. Without testing information a nation is, 'blind' to use the description of Doctor David Ho - now leading a team to, hopefully, develop successful treatment. (David Ho identified the behaviour and thus was able to develop drugs to combat the AIDS virus epidemic of the 90s.) Testing is essential and it is disgraceful that our government has opted to ignore information provided by both medical professionals and the successful actions of other countries.

etheltbags1 Sat 14-Mar-20 11:23:48

Many people are scared. I am. As I said earlier I worked with a cold, hoping no one would notice but I would prefer to know. You are not supposed to ring 111 now with cold symptoms so how do we know, we are not medics. I've seen in some countries they do drive in testing. That would be a good idea for the UK.

Daisymae Sat 14-Mar-20 11:14:36

The WHO are questioning the science behind the herd immunity theory. This is a new virus, they can't know how things are going to play out. If they are concerned then shouldn't we question?

Riggie Sat 14-Mar-20 11:13:52

annie

"Do this government know what they're doing?"

When did we last have a pandemic on this scale? I doubt if anyone knows exactly what they are doing.

cathieb Sat 14-Mar-20 11:11:16

How are we going to know how many people are positive for Coronavirus and have symptoms/don’t have symptoms, and how many have recovered and therefore probably immune so ok to work. All this would surely help with planning. BJ has gone very quiet about his ‘fantastic’ NHS which is being left to struggle on as best it can. I have heard that the UK is running out of test kits so nit much we can do except cross fingers and eat garlic.

geekesse Sat 14-Mar-20 11:07:49

Each test costs about £30. Seems to me that now it’s pretty well out of control, that money is better spent treating those who are ill. There may be exceptions, of course.

rowanflower0 Sat 14-Mar-20 10:44:44

They have stopped testing as the 'experts' are saying that we are all likely to have it eventually - it;s a question of when and how severely! Hospitalization is only for those who struggle to breathe or develop pneumonia. Most people should only get a mild fever and cough. They are now relying on 'herd immunity', so need most of us to catch it, just not all at one time!

Daisymae Sat 14-Mar-20 10:35:15

The WHO have said that Johnson could be making a deadly mistake in cutting back the testing. They advise that people should be tested and treated. Why are we ignoring them?

Maremia Sat 14-Mar-20 10:33:04

I agree with Chestnut that it would be good to be able to identify everyone who has had the virus and has recovered. Why? These people, while still observing strict hygiene, could safely go back to work, and keep society ticking over. Yes, I know, we don't have the resources, but it would be a good thing to be able to do. Unless you can get it twice. We don't know that yet, do we?

Mumi Sat 14-Mar-20 10:28:18

What do other countries do when reporting numbers? Are their figures extrapolated? Are they only counting people who need treatment! What do the 200 new cases on 13th March mean - of those we had enough kits to test or were seriously ill?

Flakesdayout Sat 14-Mar-20 10:27:05

Chestnut I agree with you totally. I am not working at the moment due to illness and very low immunity. (started in October) I have only just started to go out shopping which I am about to limit due to the risk of this virus. I had my temperature tested at the Hospital whilst having blood tests earlier this week as I was feeling awful and had tickly cough) and told to go home and rest as my temp wasnt up. Im with you on the fact that people should be tested if they have symptoms as if they do not have the virus they can try to behave normally. With the virus it is best to self isolate.

Daisymae Sat 14-Mar-20 10:20:58

Seems to me that the government are losing credibility which is a very dangerous situation. Football has decided to mainly abandon matches, care homes are isolating themselves, people are staying away from work and taking children out of school canceling holidays etc. All against government advice.