Gransnet forums

Health

If you are over 70

(84 Posts)
craftyone Sat 14-Mar-20 20:55:36

www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1255370/coronavirus-uk-elderly-boris-johnson-robert-peston-covid-19-coronavirus-latest-news

I wonder if this will happen. 4 months, crikey

Motherofmany Mon 16-Mar-20 21:19:15

sodapop thankyou! Have just made the decision to isolate our lot. The 2 "ladies" with Down Syndrome are not impressed but I have told them to watch the 10 o'clock news to help them understand. Hope you are all coping.

Grandmama Mon 16-Mar-20 19:15:12

I like my own company (and DH's too!) but 4 months isolation worries me. I'm early 70s, no health issues at all, well within my weight range, not taking medication. I walk every day, do not always take the bus. Probably covered just over 5 miles one day last week. If I can't have my daily exercise it will cause stress and after 4 months of not walking distances as opposed to pottering in the garden, my walking ability may decline. I'm probably more healthy than many of the younger generation.

merlotgran Mon 16-Mar-20 18:58:00

How do you ignore the ban if you live in a retirement home, 12Michael?

Will they not put restrictions in place to safeguard other residents?

Tweedle24 Mon 16-Mar-20 18:04:03

This has motivated me to paint my porch walls and fit new skirting boards in there and add a shelf for plants. I started this morning by fitting a new cat flap. Anthony Cat has learned to open the old one while it was locked.

After the porch I plan to reorganise the craft room and sew up the fabrics that have been waiting impatiently. Then there is the garden..........oh, and the knitting and unread books.....

Franbern Mon 16-Mar-20 16:41:56

Well, I have also had a good day with so much sunshine. Went to supermarket this morning, waiting now for bathroom company man to come to finalise details with me about replacing mine in about four weeks time. Have arranged for rep to come to quote for pressure cleaning my balcony patio. Had phone call from dentist confirming my appointment (for tooth removal) will go ahead tomorrow.
I am being careful, but not paranoid.
Heigh, almost forgot, managed to get really good quote for next years car insurance

craftyone Mon 16-Mar-20 15:23:02

another very satisfying day and completely isolated. I put a note to leave parcels on the front door and the parcels were left for me. Tbh I am liking this, two benches oiled, one planter painted with hammerite and all garden prepped for the slug nematodes that I am expecting tomorrow. My meal is prepped, all veg and a bit of salmon. I am lucky in liking my own company

12Michael Mon 16-Mar-20 15:19:39

I live in a retirement home with myself 71, but others are older than myself as well.
I will ignore the ban , unless you experience the virus then you have to.
Also looking at the systems diagram it looks no dissimilar to mild heart attack , chest pains etc.
I am on prescribed medication like many ,and some of those medications may cover those areas as they show maybe one product like dispersible aspirin may help
Mick

kaycee Mon 16-Mar-20 15:07:01

I saw this on the internet. I have also posted it on another thread, there seems to be so many about the virus. Pass it on if you feel it helpful.
covidmutualaid.org/local-groups/
Might be useful for those who are isolating.

Anniebach Mon 16-Mar-20 10:41:13

Mapleleaf. Thank you, I have tried filing but can only use
thumb and forefinger, my other three fingers are bent into the
palm of my hands.

Willow10 Mon 16-Mar-20 10:37:44

On a lighter note - with all the sporting events being shut down,I wonder if there will be a baby boom on 9 months time? grin

Willow10 Mon 16-Mar-20 10:36:28

I think I'm usually a very level headed and sensible person, but have to admit that for the first time I had a real anxiety attack this morning. I blurted it all out to my son before he went to work and he told me I needed to calm down. Thinking about it over the last couple of hours, I believe it may be because I've listened and read far too many conflicting stories and theories from so many different sources over the weekend. Seeing pictures of empty shelves and queues outside supermarkets, I suddenly felt overwhelmed with it all and found myself close to tears. I have calmed down now and and decided to listen to a news bulletin once a day for the latest 'instructions' and that's it. I'm sure I'm not the only one to feel like this? sad

Mapleleaf Mon 16-Mar-20 10:25:41

Annie, I haven’t read all the posts since yours, so forgive me if someone has already suggested it, but would you be able to use a nail file to try to keep your nails from becoming too long? It may not be possible for you to do this, but if you can, it might help a little bit. ?

M0nica Mon 16-Mar-20 10:12:53

GGM3, I am among the most fortunate group, not only do neither of us have any underlying health problems, we have a big house and garden in a rural area.

Having also been for some years a home visiter for what was Age Concern, I am very aware that the majority of older people are not so fortunate and I also know just how cramped the living quarters of so many older people are -particulary if they live in accommodation built for the elderly.

The thought of even having to live in much of that accommodation would drive me to drink. The thought of being trapped in it for 3 plus months, especially if I was disabled, would bring on depression and early death.

I am not depressed about it for myself. We both have lots of hobbies and interests that we can pursue at home and I expect a bumper crop of vegetables, they will be so well nurtured!! In fact on another thread I have been accuse dof being shallow and vain because of my frivolous attitude.

It is just, as with everything, there are always unforeseen consequences from drastic actions like this and I do think we need to think them through and try to be prepared for them and I think the mental health of many older people is of real concern and I can see it ending with suicides.

trisher Mon 16-Mar-20 10:00:24

Willow10 I entirely agree with you. I wanted to know exactly what was involved and only discovered there is a difference when I Googled it. That's why I posted the link. We should all know what is involved.

Hetty58 Mon 16-Mar-20 09:24:27

Monica is spot on and being realistic. The NHS will be on it's knees, obviously. Still, statistically, the risk from the virus for individuals is minute.

There's no need to be depressed about it. My attitude is that I'm 'holidaying at home'. I'll wrap up warm and sit in the sun, reading my book - why not?

I'm planting extra veggies in all available space and I'll make best use of this opportunity to get the decorating and repairs finished off - along with all those abandoned craft projects that I didn't find time for.

Tweedle24 Mon 16-Mar-20 09:15:35

Willow10 There is a very good explanation on dictionary.com. I just looked up, ‘What is the difference between self isolation and self quarantine?’

GracesGranMK3 Mon 16-Mar-20 09:07:36

Sadly Monica I can't stop you thinking like that but perhaps you could hope. Don't let it get you down.

This morning Matt Hancock made it clear that we would not be expected to stay indoors. Walking a dog would be possible if you can avoid others while doing it which means a walk is okay if you keep your distance from others.

This will be what it will be but staying positive may help. I hope others help me to stay positive as we will all have our ups and downs.

sodapop Mon 16-Mar-20 08:22:37

Motherofmany You are in a difficult situation, is there anyone able to help you. You and your husband must have big hearts to take on such a challenging role.
I hope you and your family stay safe. thanks

Willow10 Mon 16-Mar-20 07:30:59

Maybe the media should be made aware of the difference between self isolate and self quarantine Trisher. The only term I have heard or read is self isolate.

craftyone Mon 16-Mar-20 06:57:06

A lot of us are going to have hippy hair, I don`t have any ribbons, might make myself a colourful hair band, a wide one. Good, it is important to have a few positive jobs to do each day, not today, it is going to be a lovely sunny day and a dry week. I have a wooden bench to oil today

If you have space, get seeds from ebay, they are good quality and cheap and get some lettuce, radish and spring onion either into the ground or into pots. Look around for pots any container will do, puch a few holes in the bottom of an old washing up bowl

Mamie Mon 16-Mar-20 06:46:22

I had a hair appointment for tomorrow. All hairdressers now closed. Dentist was meant to be next week but we are over 70 and only out for essential shopping.
We are lucky as we have a big house and garden and lots to plant.
As I said on another thread, I am so worried for my son and family confined to their flat.

craftyone Mon 16-Mar-20 06:25:57

The ventilators will come, my sonil at RR in management says it is full steam ahead. Big companies involved in aviation will be glad of the extra work, now that plane engines are going out of the picture. We are a nation of good engineers and 3D modellers with modern machines. We will get there, just sit tight, put up with isolation and be patient

Nana3 Sun 15-Mar-20 23:45:29

If we are staying at home and don't have the virus can we safely meet up with neighbours who are also staying at home and don't have the virus? In each others houses I mean, it would be a change of scene and good to have company for a bit.

M0nica Sun 15-Mar-20 22:50:54

But GGGM3*, by the time we get it the NHS will be in a state of total exhaustion and we will probably get worse care. I also think the infections of other population members may well send numbers above the previous peak.

Hetty58 Sun 15-Mar-20 21:30:26

Really GracesGran? There are only 5000 respirators/ventilators available in the country. Let's hope they really can make some more and put them into use before the over 70's need them. I really cant see it happening:

news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-spain-death-toll-doubles-in-a-day-as-288-victims-now-confirmed-11957987