Gransnet forums

Health

Recovering from keyhole gallbladder removal.

(8 Posts)
Candelle Wed 18-Mar-20 17:30:18

Mine went in a key hole operation over twenty years ago.

Minimal scarring (barely visible) and a quick recovery.

You should feel your old self (was that good?!) or better, in no time.

I have just remembered... I left hospital and it was the day of the total eclipse (1999). My husband was desperate to 'see' it and drove to a very crowded hill top where there was nowhere left to park. Whacking the car into a not very good space, he sprinted off and left me trotted along behind him, wondering if my innards would soon be falling out. Getting down onto the ground was difficult but we made it with split seconds to spare. Am still unsure if it was worth all the drama but that's one operation aftermath I will remember.

You only have the C-17 virus to contend with!

Floradora9 Wed 18-Mar-20 15:46:52

Lost mine aged 32 you should see the size of the scar. I have never really missed it though we eat a pretty healthy diet anyway. I had my gall stones in a jar for many years . My daughter was discussing her gallbladder problems with her doctor and said in passing I still had them . GP could not understand why I had not had the op.
The old lady in the bed next to me ( probably about my age now ) asked the nurse when she should take her tablets she could see on her locker. Nurse quickly explained they were her gall stones.

threexnanny Tue 17-Mar-20 20:33:05

sorry - dairy I meant!

threexnanny Tue 17-Mar-20 20:32:05

Mine was about ten years ago too and also keyhole. It didn't take long to get over the op. but I still can't eat bacon or sausage, although diary is okay.

SalsaQueen Tue 17-Mar-20 20:16:21

I had mine out about 10 years ago (keyhole). I was told not to drive for 2 weeks, although I drove to the shops about a mile away, on day 8. It took me ages to do the shopping, and I felt slower and more tired for a couple of weeks.

Even now, I cannot tolerate a lot of cream or ice cream, so I have those things as a treat.

MiniMoon Tue 17-Mar-20 10:00:29

My sister had hers removed last summer. The first thing g the hospital offered her to eat was tea and toast with butter! She said it was heavenly, after so many months of no dietary fats.
She recovered quickly, rested for a couple of weeks, then began to get back to normal life by having a little walk, and gradually increasing the distance.
She eats anything she fancies now.

CassieJ Tue 17-Mar-20 09:13:18

I had mine out many years ago. It took me around two weeks to feel normal again. Be careful lifting and take lots of rest.

I was never given any diet advice and still eat anything I want and don't avoid anything.

kircubbin2000 Tue 17-Mar-20 08:24:03

Have you any advice on diet and things to avoid? How long does it take to feel normal again?