Gransnet forums

Health

conjungtavirus

(22 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Wed 18-Mar-20 22:34:20

Conjunctivitis

Callistemon Tue 17-Mar-20 20:15:27

Sorry, I tried to amend that, hope you feel better soon is what I meant!

Callistemon Tue 17-Mar-20 20:14:37

It's possible to get it on the eye too.
It sounds dreadful.

travelsafar I hope your medication works and you feel quickly and you feel better soon

SalsaQueen Tue 17-Mar-20 20:10:50

travelsafar I didn't know it was possible to get Shingles around the eyes. shock Glad you've been seen, hope the medication sorts it out soon.

wildswan16 Tue 17-Mar-20 18:39:04

Thank goodness you managed to be seen by the nurse. Shingles can be very unpleasant especially around your eyes.

Hope the treatment works successfully for you and it becomes less painful. flowers.

curvygran Tue 17-Mar-20 18:05:01

I’m very glad you have seen a professional and now have treatment .Hopefully it will clear up soon , best wishes .

travelsafar Tue 17-Mar-20 17:26:35

Forgot to say she asked if i was stressed about anything, i just said yes, Corona Virus, panic buying and fear for my DH who has COPD, apparently this can bring on Shingles.

travelsafar Tue 17-Mar-20 17:24:04

I have been seen by the nurse at my GP practise after a telephone call. I actually have Shingles around my eyes which was why it was so irritated. Constant rubbing yesterday caused it to be sticky overnight but now it is just very painful with a very sore area just under eyebrow on my forhead and on the top of my head. Highly sensitive at the moment. But i have medication to take so hopefully it will sort it all out. Thanks for all the tips and suggestions.

SalsaQueen Tue 17-Mar-20 17:03:22

It's Conjunctivitis - inflammation/infection of the Conjunctiva. Your chemist should be able to sell you something over the counter. (without a prescription)

Callistemon Tue 17-Mar-20 13:34:15

NHS recommends bicarbonate of soda, so if the salt and tea don't work, I would recommend that.

travelsafar Tue 17-Mar-20 12:40:57

Many thanks i will try the salt or the tea tip. Always use salt water for mouth ulcers and it certainly helps. smile

midgey Tue 17-Mar-20 11:12:35

I seem to remember a spoon wrapped in cotton wool and dipped in cooled boiled water was the cure to bring a style to a head, either that or a good rub with a finger with a wedding ring on?! I think the gentle advice from other posters is much better!

wildswan16 Tue 17-Mar-20 10:47:44

All good suggestions. Mine is a teaspoon of salt in a mug of boiled water. Allow to cool. Swab eye with clean tissue from inner corner out - once. Repeat a couple of times with clean swab. Do it every couple of hours.

Callistemon Tue 17-Mar-20 09:54:05

A teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda dissolved in a pint of hot water works well too.

Let it cool, pour some into another container. Cover the rest for use later.
Swab each eye from inner to outer, using a separate piece for each of course.

Elegran Tue 17-Mar-20 09:44:16

I had good results from a bottle of simple eyewash, but not poured into an eye bath and then wastefully pouring all down my face (and my neck!)
Instead I bought a pack of cotton buds (with cardboard sticks, plastic ones are banned here) A few drops of eyewash on each cottonwool tip is enough to clean each eye as described above. I did this morning and night.

Marydoll Tue 17-Mar-20 09:13:01

Teaspoon of salt in a pint of cooled boiled water. As said before, bathe the eyes from nose to ear, using fresh cotton wool each time.

B9exchange Tue 17-Mar-20 09:08:58

Cold strong tea (without milk!!) wiped across the eye nose to ear direction is also good, it's what the vets recommend when animals get it!

Luckygirl Tue 17-Mar-20 09:08:02

Bathe them in cold tea - OH (who was a GP) used to swear by it.

lemongrove Tue 17-Mar-20 09:05:31

X posts curvy ?

lemongrove Tue 17-Mar-20 09:04:35

Conjunctivitis travels, I get this a lot and the pharmacist told me to put something like a heated gelpack on eyes.It clears up really well.Clean each eye with a fresh damp cotton wool pad using boiled water ( let it cool down first!) then sit back with the warm gel pack over the eyes.You can buy them online, it’s like a small eye mask, or the optician sells them.
Or...you can use the warm lavender things that you heat in the microwave.

curvygran Tue 17-Mar-20 09:02:34

Travelsafar, try looking up ‘nhs conjunctivitis’ on google .
Bathe infected eye with warm boiled water and cotton pad ,wiping gently from nose outwards along the lids . Fresh pad for each eye . Hope this helps !

travelsafar Tue 17-Mar-20 08:51:58

Not sure if i spelt that correctly. Anyone have a home treatment for the above. One of my eyes very itchy, sore and this morning when i woke stuck together and very crusty. When i went to the pharmacy yesterday they would not give me eyedrops with antibiotics they just said use drops for dry eyes. Really dont want to go to gp surgery if it can be avoided. Any ideas anyone???