Gransnet forums

Health

Hip op cancelled at last minute due to coronavirus

(12 Posts)
Humbertbear Wed 25-Mar-20 09:13:13

My sympathies. I know just how much pain your husband might be in. However we had to take my mother to an urgent appointment in our local hospital. The doctors didn’t have gloves or masks and when we got home we stripped off all our clothes and had hot showers. If he went in now you wouldn’t be able to visit.

timetogo2016 Wed 25-Mar-20 09:07:25

TBH i think the more hospital cancellations the better.
I read this morning an 80yo died from the virus as she caught it in hospital.
How very sad.

Alexa Wed 25-Mar-20 09:07:00

I am really sorry about you husband's hip operation being deferred. This would make such a difference to his life. after this emergency is all over the NHS should be much improved after this experience and increasing of resources and funds.

annsixty Wed 25-Mar-20 09:03:40

I have also had my much needed hip replacement cancelled, it should have been this Friday.
I have been put on stronger painkillers but when the cartilage has gone, nothing makes much difference.
I have been told that those of us in this situation will get priority when this is all over, not much comfort really when we can’t do much at all.
I can’t even walk across a room without being in pain.
At least it makes staying in easier.
Best wishes to all, but it isn’t life threatening, thank goodness.
We are in a better situation than some.

Deedaa Tue 24-Mar-20 23:19:21

SiL has had his heart ablation cancelled. They did the pre op over the phone in case they could go ahead but he's now heard that they can't. GS3 is waiting for his tonsils and adenoids operation but no idea when that will happen.

gillybob Mon 23-Mar-20 22:33:48

My DH has had so many operations cancelled over the last few months I have almost lost count notjustaorettyface . No Coronavirus to blame either. He‘s on the list for a prostate op sometime in the coming weeks but it will almost certainly be cancelled.

annep1 Mon 23-Mar-20 22:01:15

So very distressing for you Notjustaprettyface. A friend is in a similar situation and now has to have pins in her legs for longer with more morphine. I'm afraid its goung to impact so much I just pray that it is not for too long.

Pantglas2 Mon 23-Mar-20 21:54:03

So sorry Notjustaprettyface my own DH had his long awaited 2nd hip op beginning of February and we now realise how fortunate he’s been. He’d been in serious pain (not relieved by painkillers in the last few months) my heart goes out to you.

I understand your sheer helplessness in this situation and hope you find the wherewithal to cope for hopefully only a few more months while this awful situation gets sorted. flowers

Smileless2012 Mon 23-Mar-20 21:43:22

I'm sorry to hear about your DH's cancelled op Notjustaprettyface and for your DD Oopsadaisy.

Mr. S. had his long awaited surgery 3.5 weeks ago and we know how lucky we are that he got in just in time.

flowersfor you and your loved ones,

GrannyLaine Mon 23-Mar-20 21:43:14

Oopsadaisy3 I thought the same. Does anyone really want to be in hospital at the moment? All elective surgery was cancelled a few days ago I believe.

Oopsadaisy3 Mon 23-Mar-20 21:37:28

DD2 was scheduled for a knee op, but I think she is better off at home, now we are locked down anyway, the last place she wants to be is in hospital.

Plenty of painkillers, but it breaks my heart to see her struggle to walk.

Notjustaprettyface Mon 23-Mar-20 21:35:24

My husband‘s desperately needed hip replacement operation was cancelled at the very last minute because the private hospital he was going to ( as an nhs patient ) has been requisitioned by the nhs for possible coronavirus cases
Although we understand the situation fully , this has come as a blow to him and now we just have no idea as to when it will be rescheduled
I also worry that he will get worse in the meantime and I just don’t know what to think /do
Has any of you grans had a similar experience in the last week or so ? Any tips to get through this hurdle ?