Gransnet forums

Health

COPD diagnosis

(8 Posts)
nanaK54 Tue 24-Mar-20 20:25:41

flowers lots of good info on British lung Foundation site

Rowantree Tue 24-Mar-20 20:21:12

Thank you. I'm in a state ATM, keep crying and thinking I'm going to die. Sorry if that sounds overdramatic but I suffer from anxiety too. The rehab course sounds awesome and I will definitely seek that out and look at Breathe Easy. :-)

rosenoir Tue 24-Mar-20 20:00:45

Have you looked at the Breathe easy website, lots of useful advice and when you can go out there are many local groups you can attend.

The websites are local so I cannot give a link, go to the NHS site and put breathe easy into the search and your locality.

NanKate Tue 24-Mar-20 19:47:37

Rowantree you would be very welcome to join us on our slimming thread called ‘I’m a pear the sequel’. There are a number of us all using different methods of weight loss and helping each other along. On the whole we are not into drastic diets, we are into healthy eating plans for life. Hope to see you there. ?

Liz46 Tue 24-Mar-20 19:44:15

I was offered a pulmonary rehabilitation course at the local hospital, although I dare say they are not running any at the moment. It may be worth asking when things finally settle down again.

It was a mixture of exercise and talks by experts (over a cup of tea and a biscuit).

Ilovecheese Tue 24-Mar-20 19:15:47

Ah I see you are already following an exercise regime, I am sorry, I must not have read your post carefully enough. Seems you are doing the best you can.

Ilovecheese Tue 24-Mar-20 19:13:41

When my husband was first diagnosed with copd he was offered fitness classes free at our local leisure centre which he found very helpful. I wonder if you could find a fitness video on utube which you could do at home. We are currently doing a ten minute low impact video every day which is helping my husband keep up his fitness level which helps, although cannot reverse his copd.
Some of your breathlessness may well be due to your weight issues, and losing weight will improve your general fitness.
I do sympathise, I watch my much loved husband struggling with this condition.

Rowantree Tue 24-Mar-20 19:02:40

Hi people,

I'm really struggling at present because I've had a diagnosis of Grade 2 lung danage/ COPD. It was on a phone consultation with my GP. I'd had an isometric test and chest x-ray. I feel do scared and vulnerable, particularly now, and though the GP said the asthma nurse would ring me in a couple of weeks and advised me to lose weight (I'm very overweight) and get regular exercise, I don't know what I can do to prevent myself dying prematurely. Is there anyone else in this situation? Should I seek a referral for further tests ( if I survive this pandemic)? Of course I am not leaving the house; I'm staying home, starting Joe Wicks' exercise programme and doing some gardening. I've been getting more breathless for some time and thought it was my extra weight causing it!