Gransnet forums

Health

What to expect.

(12 Posts)
granbabies123 Wed 01-Apr-20 15:33:19

Has anyone had a relative taken in with suspected virus.
My son who lives 1 hour away has just been taken in an ambulance.
I know we can't go but does anyone know the routine? Do they contact next of kin with regular updates or do you have to ring them.
I'm so scared

Harris27 Wed 01-Apr-20 15:38:37

I don’t know enough about this but I’m sure someone will contact you. There may be a helpline have a look on online. I will be praying for your son.

Eglantine21 Wed 01-Apr-20 15:42:44

Who let you know that he had been admitted to hospital?
On admission a contact name will have been given and this is the person the hospital will contact. Not anybody else.
Will he have given your name?

Please don’t ring them.

kittylester Wed 01-Apr-20 15:46:00

You must be very scared.

I know someone who went in yesterday, was tested and then brought home with instructions to ring 999 if they felt the need.

Chestnut Wed 01-Apr-20 15:51:10

This is something I've been wondering about. There should be detailed information on the government website about hospital admissions so that's another failure there. People are left guessing which is not good enough. For instance, what do you take? Who informs the hospital of your identity? When or how will you get updates? That should all be on the website.
I know it's no good telling you not to worry, but the staff are all devoted to looking after their patients and will ensure he has the best treatment. I hope he will soon be out and back home, and when it's all over he will then be immune to the virus, which is an enviable position to be in.

jude2006 Wed 01-Apr-20 15:56:19

How awful for you granbabies123, its what we are all dreading to hear at the moment.
Like Eglantine21 said they do ask for next of kin or the contact details of the person closest to them.
This is so worrying for you, try to stay strong, all the best to you and your son.

SueDonim Wed 01-Apr-20 16:19:13

I’m so sorry, Granbabies123, that must be terrifying for you all. sad

Who is your son’s next of kin? Is it you or does he have a spouse/partner?

Hetty58 Wed 01-Apr-20 16:23:41

Anyone going to hospital with suspected CV is advised to take a mobile and charger with them. Visitors are not normally allowed, staff are very busy.

Katyj Wed 01-Apr-20 18:01:47

What an awful time for you granbabies, he’s in the best place. Thinking of you.

granbabies123 Thu 02-Apr-20 16:40:26

Thankyou so much for support.
Thank God son was sent home.
He wasn't ill enough to keep in even though paramedics thought he was.
He is in bed no worse taking paracetamol and hopefully will recover. Spoke to him today he managed to talk slowly without coughing, couldn't do that yesterday. Pain in chest still there but he can cope. His partner had heart work done less than a month ago so concerned she doesn't get it.
No testing so who knows if he has had it or not. Paramedics and 101 nurse said it sounded like it.
He was saying that ambulance crew told him that ventilators were being taken away from elderly and given to youngsters.
Such scary times. Pray none ofyou go through it.

Katyj Fri 03-Apr-20 06:07:28

Thank goodness, been checking back with bated breath. It really is your worst nightmare at the moment.Hope he goes from strength to strength now, and fingers firmly crossed for his partner. Hopefully now you can get some rest. Take care.

harrigran Fri 03-Apr-20 10:46:26

He was saying that ambulance crew told him that ventilators were being taken away from elderly and given to youngsters
That is very wrong even if it was true, to actually say the words to a patient.
Some of us oldies are actually financing DC and GC so to assume that we are less deserving of treatment is worrying. I am going to contact my solicitor and see what the legal position on this is.