Gransnet forums

Health

Chocolate sensitivity cough

(6 Posts)
mrsHom Fri 10-Apr-20 10:34:50

If you have acid reflux it could be a possible hiatus hernia, where the diaphragm sphincter doesn't close properly and allows acid to escape into the oesophagus. Chocolate relaxes the sphincter even more and allows more acid to escape. A cough is one of the side effects of hiatus hernia.

Barmeyoldbat Fri 10-Apr-20 10:34:11

I have the same problem which happens more at this time of the year. Put it down to hay fever making my throat sensitive and take hayfever tablets which help no end. I cleared Waitrose yesterday when I suddenly had a fitting cough near the flowers, luckily jjI had my mask on.

EllanVannin Fri 10-Apr-20 10:04:59

Probably the sugar content that catches the back of the throat.

MiniMoon Fri 10-Apr-20 09:51:09

I have a cough. I think mine is linked to acid reflux. I dont always have heartburn, but I have noticed that I cough some time after eating. It's a nuisance more than anything else.
You've made me wonder about chocolate now. I think I might start a cough diary and see if there is a correlation.

travelsafar Fri 10-Apr-20 09:24:59

I too have this problem. Have to have a cup of tea or bottle of water close to hand. Good thing is I don't eat much chocolate due to this issue.

overthehill Fri 10-Apr-20 09:21:45

I love chocolate but after eating it all my life and chronic coughing for as long as I can remember, I've come to the conclusion chocolate is one of the main culprits.

I tried carob bars but they are no better and looking at the ingredients they contain cocoa butter which I assume is the culprit there.

Of course there are other ingredients such as sugar and milk but I don't think they are the cause as I can consume them in other foods with no problem.

I'd love to find something else to replace my love of chocolate