Gransnet forums

Health

Help with exercise suggestions, please?

(8 Posts)
batpat1 Mon 13-Apr-20 21:54:49

Thank you everyone. No luck with a physio appointment but I have had a quick look at the Michelle Kenway site and it looks very relevant to my situation. The replies she gives in the comments sections are also extremely detailed and useful. I think I should be able to find something helpful there which is comfortable and doesnt make things worse. Thanks for your suggestions, growstuff, yes, I've got lots of tins, so will look for some gentle upper body exercises with "weights". It's very nice to get these positive suggestions. Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply to my post.

growstuff Sun 12-Apr-20 23:02:19

You can do upper body exercises with tins if you don't have proper weights. If you can get hold of elastic bands (exercising sort) there's also a variety of exercises you can do which don't put too much stress on the core. Avoid legs, bums and tums exercises like the plague. If it's not uncomfortable, you can even do "step" exercises on your stairs.

I do online yoga. I used to go to classes and the teacher has set up sessions on Zoom. I like them because I'm with familiar faces. There are loads of yoga and pilates exercises online. Be selective about the ones which feel comfortable.

I'm a bit reluctant to advise anything because I'm not qualified and I don't know anything about your medical history. That's why I suggested professional advice.

Tea3 Sun 12-Apr-20 22:22:15

Have a look at stressnomore.com lots of useful gadgets and information here including dvds and books by the aforementioned Michelle Kenway. I didn't know she has a website and exercises on YouTube, thanks thisisnotme.

thisisnotme Sun 12-Apr-20 21:51:52

Google Michelle Kenway.
She’s an Australian physio who has a variety of suitable exercises on her website and YouTube. I found them very helpful whilst waiting for my op.

batpat1 Sun 12-Apr-20 21:42:10

If there are any ideas for 'self starter' exercises from anyone who might have been in a similar situation (apart from lockdown of course) I'd be very interested to to hear about them. Thanks.

batpat1 Sun 12-Apr-20 21:39:38

Thanks, growstuff, that's helpful, I'll see if there is one I can contact.

growstuff Sun 12-Apr-20 08:14:56

Does your GP have a physio attached? If so, you might be able to get a telephone appointment.

batpat1 Sat 11-Apr-20 23:21:08

I'm 71, and have a prolapse, needing a hysterectomy. In normal times I would probably by now have had a conversation with my doctor agreeing finally that yes, OK, you're right, it does need to be done... At the moment my uterus is kept more or less in place just about by a silicone ring pessary, and at times it's not too comfortable, but I think/hope I can continue to manage it until there's something of a return to 'normal' times. But - being in lockdown I really need some exercises I can do to keep generally healthy without making the prolapse situation worse or more uncomfortable. Does anyone have any suggestions for suitable exercises I could try? Thanks!