Gransnet forums

Health

Is anyone else having problems with their finger nails?

(24 Posts)
deedeeP Sun 03-May-20 10:28:39

I normally have long very strong finger nails which I keep well manicured and looked after. They have for many years been conversation starters as people often admire them and the nail art I love to do on them. Now it is the total opposite, since being in lockdown my nails have turned into my worst nightmare, I have now stopped painting them as they were a mess. They ares plitting lengthwize, several nails are flaking on the top edges where the layers of nail are seperating. The only thing that has changed is I am washing my hands about 50 times a day more than I was normally and spending a lot more time indoors as am shielding. I am still using my nail envy as I have always done. If anyone knows of a miracle repair product please tell me what you use as I am desperate to return them to their former glory before I need to go back to work, whenever that may be. Thank you all in advance.

Outofstepwithhumanity Sun 03-May-20 10:47:20

Yes. I had never really bothered too much with my nails & never used nail varnish, but someone gave me some Pink gel coat, manufactured by Perfect formula. It was a miracle, I had long strong nails for the first time. I finished the bottle & didn’t bother to purchase further supplies, so now my nails have reverted to their former sad state. Hope this helps.

harrigran Sun 03-May-20 10:58:41

Yes, my nails are in poor condition despite not having varnish on for months.
If they grow even the tiniest bit they crack and flake. I use Clarins hand cream all the time and have nail oil to help the nails but all to no avail.

EllanVannin Sun 03-May-20 11:12:46

I always had long painted nails too and cut them before the lock-down. The ones on my right hand were like a dog's hind leg because of trying to use my left hand so have had to file them in shape. They're still growing alright though, if a little dry with all the washing and nail-brushing.

Much more convenient for baking being shorter and no nail varnish either----nobody to see them anyway
However they're not breaking or splitting and seem to remain as strong as they've always been, up to now.
I've been using Avon Care for hands and nails, oatmeal and chamomile extract.

tanith Sun 03-May-20 11:13:24

deedeeP all that hand washing isn’t helping. If you are shielding and staying home why are you needing to wash them so much? I wash them no more than normal unless I’ve been outside for my walk or had a food delivery there is no need to keep washing if you've been nowhere.

TrendyNannie6 Sun 03-May-20 11:16:33

My nails are actually in better condition, could be that I no longer paint them, I can’t think of any other reason no more using nail varnish,and remover letting the air get to them, and nails are much whiter than they were

May7 Sun 03-May-20 11:22:42

Being a nail picker with weak splitting nails most of my life I stopped about 3yrs ago when I retired (ha no more stress) I was recommended nailtiques formula 2 from a nail technician. Never looked back. I now have a good strong set of nails and my DH uses it too because his nails always split. You can buy it from eBay whilst Salons are closed

jaylucy Sun 03-May-20 11:22:58

It's the washing hands that is drying your nails out. I always follow up my hand washing with a good hand cream.
At night I use a cuticle oil and massage it into the rest of the nail .
Several years ago I had the same problem with splitting nails, so I also invested in a couple of crystal nail files (mine are from Leighton Denny but I think that OPI and Nails Inc have them too) and they are brilliant and worth every penny!
If I ever in emergency have to use the usual sandpaper nail file (never ever a metal one) I notice the difference straight away - the crystal file seems to bind the layers of the nail together and leaves a smooth edge. I even take one with me when I go to have a professional manicure!
Just make sure you get a proper crystal file - a lot of the ones sold in the shops are glass and don't work. They last for years ( just rinse them under a running tap after use) but have really been my nails saviour!

Calendargirl Sun 03-May-20 12:10:31

My nails have been better since lockdown, don’t know why. No swimming, maybe the chlorine is not good for them?
Agree about hand washing, no need to over do it unless you’ve been out and obviously before cooking or touching any food.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 03-May-20 12:14:34

I always keep my nails short and varnished mostly with a flesh coloured tone. Only use coloured varnish on high days and holidays.

They are not in such good condition as I’ve got older, but keeping them short definitely helps.

GagaJo Sun 03-May-20 13:34:10

My nails are in a mess. I'm not a fan of long or painted nails, but like a little bit of length beyond my nail bed.

I don't usually bite or pick my nails unless really stressed. I must be very stressed at the moment because I've unknowingly bitten quite a few of them. I'm trying not to, but I'm not aware when I'm doing it, so it's hard.

DanniRae Sun 03-May-20 14:18:10

My finger nails are fine - I wish my toe nails were the same!

phoenix Sun 03-May-20 14:23:46

My nails have always been awful, tried every product but with no joy sad

They tend to split quite low, which doesn't help.

PamelaJ1 Sun 03-May-20 14:34:51

I got back from holiday with beautiful nails.
A month later they are awful.

When I’m working my hands are always using creams and oils.
In lockdown they are using sand paper, wire wool, cleaning products, add to that the weeding and digging in the garden.
Cause and effect.

deedeeP , cream, cream and cream or oil very frequently. As you are using Nail Envy try avoplex oil, massage it in at the base of the nail to stimulate the growing area. I find that a lot of people find that Nail Magic gives good results.

Why are you washing your hands so much more often than usual? Are you going out and about, or getting a lot of deliveries?
Maybe I’m odd but unless I have been out or dealt with the post I’m not washing any more than usual. The virus isn’t in my house, my husband and I haven’t got it so I can’t see the need.

lemongrove Sun 03-May-20 16:51:14

With gardening and baking I prefer to keep short clean nails, but do use Rimmel Nail Nurse for strength and shine.

Tangerine Sun 03-May-20 18:37:37

I find lots of hand cream helps.

growstuff Sun 03-May-20 20:14:13

It's possible that you have a Vitamin D deficiency. Vitamin D helps with the absorption of calcium, which is essential for strong nails. My nails were awful for about a year, which I couldn't understand. It didn't matter what I put on them - they were still crumbly and weak. Then it was discovered that I was very seriously Vitamin D deficient. I was prescribed super strength Vitamin D and then a maintenance dose (which I still take) and my nails are back to normal after about six months.

MerylStreep Sun 03-May-20 20:21:41

You wash your hands 50 times a day and you wonder why your nails are breaking. ?

Helennonotion Sun 03-May-20 20:22:56

I'm another fan of crystal nail files. I had trouble with splitting, flaking nails and these type of files definitely help. So much kinder to nails than the sandpapery ones. Plus they hardly make a noise so I don't annoy Mr Nonotion when I'm filing! Apparently it sets his teeth on edge!

wildswan16 Mon 04-May-20 03:30:43

I'm not sure why you are washing your hands so much if you are staying at home and shielding.

Years of adding chemicals of one kind or another to your nails has probably weakened them. I would stop painting them with anything for a few months and use a good quality nail strengthener.

Newquay Mon 04-May-20 08:44:05

I don’t wash my hands more than usual-DH and I have been here on our own for ages now-stopped counting-so only do thorough wash after DD1 delivers shopping to step while she sits in garden drinking her own coffee, or after bin men, deliveries, post etc.
My nails have got weaker-blame my underactive thyroid-but Will try some products mentioned if ever we’re out and about again.

Franbern Mon 04-May-20 09:47:39

I have always had nails that would flake and break, when I was a teenager I so wanted to have lovely long nails. Tried everything go then, including eating a cube of jelly each day (UGH). Tried virtually everything on the market over the years and nothing ever worked.
Strangely through each of my four pregnancies - my nails grew beautifully - long and strong - within days of giving birth they would break, often painfully low down.
Stopped worrying - just gave up.
Now my nails are growing and are much stronger. Only thing that has changed in the last year is that I have been put onto Alendronic Acid following a spinal fracture.
So, have now come to the conclusion that it is Vit deficiency that has caused this over past years, even I always had strong bones.

growstuff Mon 04-May-20 13:49:33

My Mum took alendronic acid for osteoporosis. It increases the amount of calcium in your bones - and presumably in your nails. My Mum had amazing nails, even when she died.

May7 Mon 04-May-20 13:56:56

Oh growstuff my mum also. I never made the connection with alendronic acid though. Figures really doesn’t it ?