Gransnet forums

Health

Dentist needed

(85 Posts)
Elizabeth1 Thu 07-May-20 11:46:03

Can anyone point me in the direction of accessing a dentist all dentists at the moment appear to be closed. I had dental implants with crowns over a year ago and due to my recent Event Ive become a teeth grinder and broken the cement between the crowns and the implants this has resulted in food getting under the implants and tender gums

kkkkks Tue 17-Aug-21 23:04:59

Because of the pandemic, it was difficult to watch my diet and health. I didn't leave the house for a few months, and I had to be patient with my sensitive teeth. It was pretty hard because I had dental implants that had to be replaced. I had to wait until the restrictions were lifted.
What can I say, I've never been so happy in my life to meet my dentist, haha. And going out. And buying food.
I began to appreciate a lot after this global situation. And I hope that I won't have to go through this again.

clementine Sun 05-Jul-20 19:48:16

Could you not all help out with the cost?? between you it shouldn't be too bad and help your daughter be free of pain ?

jenpax Sun 05-Jul-20 09:52:30

My daughter (a type 1 Diabetic) still can’t get a dentist to treat her broken tooth and swollen gum! She has been prescribed antibiotics twice, and is living on pain killers. Her pain means she can’t eat much which is causing her blood sugars to plummet and she is a lone parent to three small children.
I am not sure what is considered an emergency around here but we have been told by 111 that she can’t see a dentist but only get more antibiotics!
Unfortunately she is not in a position to pay for her dental work, so although I know some private dentists are now seeing patients (eldest daughter’s children have been) she can’t even go down this route due to the cost!

annodomini Sat 04-Jul-20 11:16:32

The most excitement I've had for three months is the re-instatement (on Monday) of a dentist's appointment postponed at the start of lock-down!

NotSpaghetti Sat 04-Jul-20 10:14:26

Oh I’m sorry to hear that Woodmouse. My dentist has done all her emergencies and is back to normal - but with a one person in one out policy. This is obviously adding time as she uses a gadget and wipes any of the surfaces between patients and they re-kit with PPE between patients.

She is working longer days and no longer having a day off on a Monday which she used to. I expect what with all the sanitising and UVing (or whatever) and temperature taking she will be working much longer hours for the foreseeable...

I hope yours is operating “normally” soon.

WOODMOUSE49 Fri 03-Jul-20 20:32:47

NotSpaghetti
I'm still waiting for my 6 month check+hygienist I should have seen on 5th May. Apparently they are still working through emergencies and those who need to catch up on treatment.

NotSpaghetti Fri 03-Jul-20 20:21:41

I have already been to my dentist for my 6 month check up. It was after they had re-opened obviously and they only did emergency work for the first so-many (10?) days.
It was very straightforward and I felt totally safe. There was A LOT of PPE.

BlueSky Fri 03-Jul-20 20:15:28

I've finally managed to get an appointment with my dentist having lost a large filling back in March at the beginning of lockdown. As it didn't actually hurt when I called before they said to get a temp kit from chemist, but people told me it's a waste of time and money. Now I will finally have a filling done at the dentist but for the time being it will be a temporary one. Still anything that's going to help will be welcome!

Jabberwok Fri 29-May-20 19:03:56

Corsydal is very good for all things to do with troublesome teeth and infected bleeding gums. I even use it for my dog!

Dollydinkum Fri 29-May-20 06:25:41

Oops that should be 8th June

Dollydinkum Fri 29-May-20 06:24:58

9th June:

Date for dentists to reopen if safe to do so:

apple.news/AsCcETEqyTxaPNuBjF6uIlA

watermeadow Tue 12-May-20 20:41:15

Even when dentists resume work there will be a massive backlog of people needing appointments.
I had a chunk of filling break off, resulting in a large deep new filling just before lockdown. This has been hurting ever since, getting worse lately.
I know that I will only be offered extraction, not treatment. I can’t afford to lose this tooth because I have 2 gaps on the other side and won’t be able to eat
I wonder if American dentists are still working, as they get paid by health insurance? A blanket ban on all treatment in the UK seems ludicrous.

MissAdventure Tue 12-May-20 17:54:07

smile
Pleased to hear that.

I've been giving my tooth a lot to cope with, food wise, but it seems ok for now, too.

Better not say too much..

Elizabeth1 Tue 12-May-20 11:23:15

Happy days my gums appear to be okay now with the mouthwash and salt water very pleased with myselfsmile

Elizabeth1 Mon 11-May-20 10:51:22

I’m pleased to say Rinsing my mouth with salt water has reduced inflammation in my gums I’ve now got a mouthwash which I’ll use regularly here’s hoping the problem will settle. I may even continue with the salt water rinse while waiting patiently on a call back from the number left on my dentists phone however I won’t hold my breath. I’ll just go back to tenerife when the time’s right say next January/February and go to the dentist who put the implants in along with the bridges. I’m positive I’ll get a good outcome. Better than waiting here for a return call.

BelindaB Mon 11-May-20 10:45:38

I have a small plate (lower center 2 teeth) that is becoming very loose and uncomfortable but I have decided that the answer is yashmaks.

If my mouth gets too sore, I'm going to switch to wearing a yashmak outdoors until life is back to normal.

Yashmaks, ladies! and leave the teeth in the bathroom.

Sparkling Mon 11-May-20 07:06:58

How awful if you have had expensive inplants or a crown to have the only option of removal if antbiotics don't work. To all of you with toothache I feel for you and hope as lockdown subsides dentists will be back, a dreadful situation.

MissAdventure Sat 09-May-20 17:53:54

Let's hope that calms things down.
Will you try to get antibiotics, if not?

My tooth has been good for a few days now, thankfully.

Elizabeth1 Sat 09-May-20 17:36:36

When I phoned my dentist yet again there was another number for me to phone as the dentist was closed I left my phone number for them to call back that was over an hr ago and my gums are causing my right cheek to become inflamed. My next course of actiofn has been to rinse with salt water and the gums feel better already fingers crossed ?

Seakay Fri 08-May-20 22:55:01

7th May

Public Health Minister Jo Churchill’s response to questions on supplies.

She told Parliament: “We are aware that there have been delays for a number of urgent care dental hubs in getting all the PPE now required and that this is still an issue for some hubs. The Department and NHS England and NHS Improvement are working urgently to resolve this.

“As an immediate measure emergency dentistry has been placed on the list of priorities areas to receive supplies from Local Resilience Forums.”

NHS England had previously claimed every centre had the relevant PPE - in stark contrast to evidence we provided from 1000 dentists working on the front line.

Shortages are continuing to limit patient access to urgent dental services across the country.

bda.org/advice/Coronavirus/Pages/latest-updates.aspx

misty34 Fri 08-May-20 22:09:44

When I was in pain with a toothache and couldn't get an appt for a few days my dentist recommended rubbing Sensodyne toothpaste on the painful area. It did work for a few days until my appt but is probably a short term fix and would not help when we don't know how long before things are anywhere back to normal. Hope you get it sorted

MayBee70 Fri 08-May-20 19:59:26

Elizabeth; I had a problem with a tooth during a bank holiday when miles from home and I bought some xylotene that is used as a mouthwash and is [I think] antibacterial and slightly antibiotic. I am paranoid about using it, though, as it's deadly poisonous to dogs and I'm terrible for leaving things lying around.

GreenGran78 Fri 08-May-20 19:32:16

I was due for a checkup, which was cancelled because of the virus situation. I received a phone call from them a couple of weeks ago, asking if I had any problems. Luckily, I haven't. They said to ring them if any develop, but I'm not sure what would happen if I did.

4allweknow Fri 08-May-20 16:13:06

Those temporary fillings should be used with caution. Bacteria could be trapped unless the area is scrupulously cleaned before inserting. Flossing, electric tooth brushing if possible, antiseptic mouthwash may help with the trapped food problem. Toothache is just awful.

Elizabeth1 Fri 08-May-20 15:33:51

Haven’t heard a thing from the dental side of things however I’m pleased I’ve managed to get a mouthwash which should help my swollen gums. I do brush my teeth at least twice a day. I’m just biding my time like everyone else hoping in the meantime that my dental needs don’t get any worse