Gransnet forums

Health

Oximeter anyone?

(74 Posts)
Sparklefizz Tue 12-May-20 10:50:12

Has anyone with Asthma or COPD bought an oximeter. If so, which one and have you found it useful? Thanks.

JuliaM Tue 12-May-20 17:53:46

I have owned an oxymeter for many years, I aquired one as part of my basic kit when I worked for a national Nursing agency just before I retired. I found it very uesful, mine is an Oxywatch, they are quite expensive to buy, but can be relied upon for accuracy, and also give other digital readings such as mini ECG and pulserate. The original one cost around £95, but you can now buy similar for around half that price. Take a look on the medical supply websites rather that places like ebay or amazon, they are more lightly to stock better quality more acurate machines for proffesional use, rather than just a gadget for athletes and fitness fanatics to check there own levels where accuracy is not so important than when used in a medical emergency.
Its also useful to buy one that comes with a case and Yanyard, they are fiddly little things that can easily be droped and lost when solo!

Sparklefizz Tue 12-May-20 18:42:39

JuliaM I checked the medical supply sites but there is a delivery issue with the ones I looked at, with no hope of getting one before late June, so I went for Amazon instead and it is arriving tomorrow.

Sparklefizz Wed 13-May-20 11:45:19

Just had an email to say that my oximeter is arriving today, and such is my quiet life in isolation at the moment that I am ridiculously excited!! grin

JuliaM Wed 13-May-20 12:17:55

Im sure your exitement may show in your first reading levels Sparklefizz!

Everyone has their own 'normal for them' ranges, its not always the text book 70 beats per min and 98% oxygen saturation level, its amazing what can influence these, even being due for medication to be taken can alter the rate, as can fluid levels and the type of drinks you enjoy, blood sugar levels can also have an effect, especially on heart rate, just dont be too worried if things look a bit out of normal range at first, best check it a couple of times a day over about a week or so and at around the same time, and write the results down to compare at the end of the week, this should give you an idea of what is your own personal normal range, and can be shown to your Doctor or Nurse whenever the need arises for your next appointment or check up. Good Luck

Sparklefizz Wed 13-May-20 12:20:18

Thank you Julia, that's very helpful.

lemsip Wed 13-May-20 12:26:34

got one on the way, read an article that said it was a good idea to keep an eye on blood oxygen levels. they can be low if covid is about

JuliaM Wed 13-May-20 12:30:54

I strongly advise that you order a little case to keep it in Sparklefizz, they are around a fiver from Amazon and most include a yanyard so that you can tie it securely to your bag or comfy chair, it stops it falling out or down the side of the chair arm and getting lost easily, protects them from fine dust that may get inside them too.

You may be lucky and find that it already has one in the box when it arrives, but mine was a gift from a conferance I attended, and is bright Orange, so easy to find in a hurry from the bottom of my bag or in the dark!

JuliaM Wed 13-May-20 12:51:56

Lemsip, I have had my own Blood Oxygen levels as low as 89% a few years ago when I had very bad flu one winter. My tonsils were so swollen that my airway was being obstucted, and l got Blue lighted down to A&E, where l was admitted and taken to theatre to have them drained. A very scarey time indeed. Im Asthmatic myself, have been since I was a child, but thankfully very well controlled most of the time. My Mother was a Nurse, and I followed in her footseteps, and likewise 4 out of 5 of my Daughters followed Medical careers, the fifth one trained to be a Lawyer! We are yet to see if any of my Grandchildren follow on to become Medically minded themselves, although one of my Grandaughters whos 10, tells everyone that she wants to become a Vet!

EllanVannin Wed 13-May-20 12:55:53

Mine was last taken in December and it was 98%.

Nannaanon Wed 13-May-20 13:04:11

Hi, my first post as a new member.......smile I have just taken delivery of a Pulse Oximeter. I ordered it off Amazon, it was about £24 approx (my memory is awful). It works great, just put the batteries in, pop it on my finger & it gives both my pulse rate and measures my blood oxygen saturation levels. I purchased it after seeing on tv that low blood oxygen levels can be an early indicator of Covid etc. I'm happy with the purchase, I have mild asthma but not COPD.

Sparklefizz Wed 13-May-20 14:05:25

Hi Nannaanon and welcome. smile
I am waiting for mine to arrive today.... apparently it's on its way.

Doodle Wed 13-May-20 14:13:16

juliam thank you for that information. Good to know. DHs is fluctuating between 97 and 99 at the moment. He’s been doing his readings for about a week.

Doodle Wed 13-May-20 14:14:34

phoenix not up to us to say but I would think it could be useful. There has been a lot in the press about it recently. Try looking up an article and see what you think. It may be advisable for your COPD.

Grandmafrench Wed 13-May-20 14:56:13

We have a very nice digital thermometer , a good quality German blood pressure monitor and recently, because I saw a newspaper article by a Doctor, we decided that a Oxymeter would be a very good idea. At this rate, I shall be handing out appointments !! grin

It was very difficult to get what we wanted - all unavailable or with "iffy" delivery dates especially to France - so picked up one on Amazon, about £40. The Doctor's article did stress that once you know your own 'normal' blood oxygen levels, you should keep an eye on them with one of these little meters so that if you have any kind of infection or suspect the dreaded Covid, you would know to ask for urgent medical assistance if it was found that your levels started dropping substantially.

Nannaanon Wed 13-May-20 17:59:25

thank you Sparklefizz. I hope your delivery arrived & lived up your expectations smile

PamelaJ1 Wed 13-May-20 18:03:23

Is it for people who have health problems?

phoenix Wed 13-May-20 18:17:17

Thank you Doodle will have a look. My COPD is pretty well managed, 2 different inhalers daily, and ventolin to be used as necessary, thankfully I don't seem to need that too often.

Sparklefizz Wed 13-May-20 18:25:37

Nanaanon I am having a stressful day trying to get hold of my asthma inhalers which were supposed to be delivered this morning and haven't arrived. I have stayed at home for 10 weeks in isolation so can't go to the pharmacy. The pharmacist says it's too risky for me to wait until tomorrow as I am having a mild asthma attack, so now is not the time to test my new gadget.

Doodle Wed 13-May-20 19:38:08

sparklefizz calm down. That is the first and most important step. I have had panic attacks brought on by not having my inhaler with me and as soon as I started thinking about being without my inhaler I stated to think I had trouble breathing.
Have you run out completely? I would imagine the pharmacy is closed now so you can’t get them anyway. Take your peak flow once. Don’t overdo it or it may make you cough. Sit quietly and sip some water. Read a book and take your mind off it. If you really feel things are getting bad, phone 999 and get the paramedics in. In the mean time just be calm and still it will probably pass.

Sparklefizz Wed 13-May-20 20:19:26

flowers Doodle

welbeck Wed 13-May-20 20:27:39

i bought one in a market before all this, seems like another world, in january.
basic model, £10, seems ok. has little cover, lanyard and batteries included. i also got one for a bed-bound neighbour.

i'm surprised at the pp who says they had never heard of them. maybe you didn't know what they were called. unless you've never been checked medically in the last 20-30 yrs.

PamelaJ1 Tue 26-Jan-21 13:31:09

I was rather dismissive of these devices.
Well I was just being very ignorant and now , just today we have invested in one.
An old friend of my sister puts the fact that her husband is still alive down to theirs.
Dr. Mark Porter has also written an article in the Times this morning that convinced us that every home should have one.
So now we have.
welbeck I think that I was that poster. No I am extremely healthy and had never come across one before. Why would I?

Sarnia Tue 26-Jan-21 13:37:31

My GP recommended me getting both an oximeter and a Bp machine for use at home. I bought a Hylogy oximeter from Amazon. I was around £20 I think. Very easy to use. It also gives a heart rate reading.

silverlining48 Tue 26-Jan-21 13:42:42

I got ours from China via amazon for about £12 last year. It seems to be ok. but was very cheap so hope it’s accurate. Saw something on tv recently saying we should all have one just as we all have thermometers. It make sense.

Puzzler61 Tue 26-Jan-21 13:51:34

We have one from Amazon and it looks as if prices have doubled this winter. It’s a Ankovo brand (made in China), requires 2 AAA batteries and is small and very easy to use.