Gransnet forums

Health

Coronavirus sadness [sad]

(11 Posts)
lilypollen Mon 18-May-20 00:09:17

Teddy5005 uplifting post from you. Keep doing what you are doing.

SueDonim Sun 17-May-20 23:45:19

Thank you for what you do for others, Teddy. flowers Our good friend is slowly sinking into the depths of dementia. He’s in a long-stay hospital and is just emerging on the other side of Coronavirus. He has been looked after so well by the wonderful staff, who never seem to think of themselves but only their patients.

Take care of yourself! Xxx

Hetty58 Sun 17-May-20 23:37:21

Teddy5005, yes, some of us are at our best in a crisis. I can just switch off emotion and be cool, calm, logical, practical and efficient. Only later will I get the shakes and a migraine.

Hetty58 Sun 17-May-20 23:32:21

All the rule breakers should be made to watch it (with their eyes taped open) don't you think?

Teddy5005 Sun 17-May-20 23:29:38

I hope this does not offend anyone . I have suffered with anxiety and depression all my life . In spite of this I am a nurse ! Since this covid 19 I have been less anxious less depressed with more energy ! When at work with dementia patients I forget my self and worries and concentrate on who appears unwell , who has a sudden temperature. These people cannot tell me when they are feeling unwell I have to feel it for them . I act as their visitor, relative etc . Strange how when some of us are under pressure become stronger. Bless all of you and what you have gone or going through.

MawB Sun 17-May-20 21:43:58

Very moving programmes indeed Sheena and especially for me as I know that hospital so well - from Paws first diagnosis in 1997, his transplant and further surgery in 1998 through all the years of monthly then six monthly check ups, the times we so nearly lost him, clinics, colonoscopies, then Lymphoma and chemo, an aortic aneurysm and heart surgery not to mention regular admissions for biliary sepsis - it was a “home from home” for us from A&E in the basement to the Liver ward on 10N, almost every shot was somewhere I had got to know so well over 20: years.
Yes it brought the gravity of Covid 19 home to me too and put all the moans and whinges about personal liberty or the boredom of lockdown into perspective.

paddyanne Sun 17-May-20 20:58:20

my friend lost her 34 year old son to CV ,it doesn't just affect older people it would have been his birthday this week ,her heart is broken .People need to take heed of the "guidance" or the guidance should become rules that must be obeyed.Edging towards 40,000 deaths in the UK ,thats appallng 40000 Families grieving people needlessy lost ,Boris' wee chrystal ball worked then..or was it his plan ?Whatever it was he should be charged with the murder by dereliction of his duties to work FOR the people not against them

SusieB50 Sun 17-May-20 20:47:10

Yes I watched them too , I was in floods of tears . The compassion of the staff and the brave patients and their families was humbling .

grannysyb Sun 17-May-20 20:40:49

All those idiots demonstrating and saying that "it's a hoax " should have watched this, and listened to Radio 4 "File on four " this afternoon.

SueDonim Sun 17-May-20 20:35:49

We saw them the other night. Incredibly moving.

The good news is, I heard via a medic-friend, that the Royal Free have not had any coronavirus patients in the past 24 hours. Long may that last. ???

Sheena Sun 17-May-20 20:30:21

... I have just watched the two episodes of "Hospital" (Monday and Tuesday BBC2 11th and 12th May) The Coronavirus Special from the Royal Free hospital .. I would urge anyone who has any doubt of the seriousness of this dreadful illness to watch these programmes. I feel humbled to watch these brave patients ... (mostly of my own age group but also much younger ) and the care they have received from the staff.. all working under enormous pressure. I have shed tears. I feel I am in a surreal "bubble" .. and fretted at not being able to go out or see my friends and my beloved family.... but watching these two programmes has brought it home to me just how devastating this illness is . Feel very emotional right now. ❤️