Gransnet forums

Health

Alternative treatments for Alzheimer's Disease

(19 Posts)
Izabella Sat 23-May-20 16:36:23

kittylester will pm you.

kittylester Sat 23-May-20 12:57:59

How are you finding your onlune course izabella.

We are starting the Carer's courses on line next week.

kittylester Sat 23-May-20 11:36:56

I think my bil is on a memantine type thing.

Izabella thank you!!

GrannySomerset Sat 23-May-20 11:34:58

DH has Parkinson’s and the associated dementia and takes Memantine which does seem to have stabilised his decline. Some days are better than others and we are learning to accept that sometimes even the simplest task - putting on his trousers, adding milk to his coffee - is beyond him, and other days he can hold a reasonably coherent conversation about something which interests him.

Life is difficult but I can cope at this level. I worry about what the future might hold though.

Izabella Sat 23-May-20 11:27:57

kitty i personally find a low carb diet helps to 'de-fog' my brain - if that makes sense?

Izabella Sat 23-May-20 11:26:54

www.iol.co.za/lifestyle/health/online-dementia-support-group-launched-16682452

specific to South Africa.

I take aricept for my Alzheimers. Sadly most people do not seek help/diagnosis until well into their journey when drugs have little/no/unwelcome effects.

There is no evidence that coconut oil helps. in fact it leads to raised levels of acetylchloinesterase which is already raised in Alzheimers - so this could be detrimental as current treatment is aimed at reducing this particular enzyme.

Melatonin - I have no idea how this could help apart from perhaps helping sleep patterns.

kittylester Sat 23-May-20 10:40:02

I think Talking Point is brilliant to and I know she does go on there but there is little actual support in SA and she is floundering a bit.

I do what I can but I try to support and not be negative.

Witzend Sat 23-May-20 10:14:09

I think Aricept can be helpful - at least in slowing it down - if given early enough. I don’t think it’s guaranteed to work for everybody though.

My mother was prescribed Aricept but maybe not early enough. It brought back some of the upsetting ‘nasty behaviour’ symptoms she’d left behind, so she was taken off it.
That was probably when she was mid 80s. Her decline was still very gradual - she went on to 97.

Like a pp I really do recommend the Alzheimer’s Society Talking Point forum. For several years it was something of a lifeline for me. Whatever you’re going through, someone else will have been there. There aren’t often any easy answers but at least you can let off steam to others who know exactly what it’s like.
People who haven’t lived with dementia so rarely do - though all too often they seem to think they do! ?

TrendyNannie6 Sat 23-May-20 10:03:38

My dad was on aricept for several years, it helped him quite a bit,

geekesse Sat 23-May-20 09:59:04

Beware all kinds of snake oil...

kittylester Sat 23-May-20 09:46:27

Esspee, I totally agree but feel so sorry for her in lockdown with a newly diagnosed husband and not able to see her family.

I thought it worth seeing if anyone had any good reports of anything.

Lots of people are willing to try anything that may help especially at the start of their journey.

Esspee Sat 23-May-20 09:19:16

Melatonin would help with sleep.
I cannot imagine what people think coconut oil might do. (When I lived in the Caribbean the government spent millions educating the population on the dangers to health from using coconut oil in cooking.)
CBD is the current trending snake oil touted to work miracles on everything from terminal diseases to shampoo.

I feel for your sister in law but prescribed treatment is the only logical option.

Liz46 Sat 23-May-20 09:08:20

My mother was prescribed Aricept but she said that it gave her nightmares.

Esspee Sat 23-May-20 09:05:57

With prescribed medication it is important to start taking it early. You want the condition to plateau before major changes happen as it doesn’t reverse the harm that has already been done.

BlueBelle Fri 22-May-20 19:41:33

My friend is on one of the Main drugs not sure which one and yes it keeps you at a stage but she’s nothing any more she’s almost like a robot she’s lost all her personality If there was anything different I d want to try it

Grannyjay Fri 22-May-20 19:17:46

Hi my mother had dementia for eight years and during that time I found the Alzheimer’s website, Talking Point great support where others share their experiences with what they found helpful.

kittylester Fri 22-May-20 17:32:50

Its not for me but my desperate sister in law.

My mum had aricept and it eventually loses it effectiveness.

Mementine (sp) or the like are used much more nowadays.

Esspee Fri 22-May-20 16:29:43

There is tried and tested medicine which halts or slows the deterioration. Please don’t be sucked into quack medicine.

When my mother showed signs of dementia I fought long and hard for her to be treated. Eventually she was given Aricept.
From then, until the end of her life she showed no further deterioration as her dementia plateaued.

That was 14 years ago. There must be even better medication nowadays.

kittylester Fri 22-May-20 14:55:31

Dh's brother, who lives in South Africa, is living with Dementia.

His wife is struggling and has asked what I have heard about Melatonin, coconut oil and cbd as alternative treatments.

Has anyone any experience of any of them?