Gransnet forums

Health

Can my Immune System Get Better?

(25 Posts)
GranOf4Monkeys Tue 09-Jun-20 10:05:22

I'm full of cold so feeling sorry for myself but wondered if I can build up my immune system or are there any reasons why I am always the one who gets colds?

timetogo2016 Tue 09-Jun-20 10:16:17

Sorry to read your`e poorly GO4M.
I rarely get colds but when i do
i avoid all fatty foods and eat loads of fruit and veg and drink fresh orange juice.
I also do that if i feel i have one coming on.
I haven`t had a cold for at least 10 years.
Get well soon.

GranOf4Monkeys Tue 09-Jun-20 10:22:59

Thanks Timetogo2016, I'm a sucker for the 'feed the cold, starve the fever' myth so eating junk food around the time of a cold is common. I'm normally a really healthy eater so I should try to incorporate this into when I feel my worse.

timetogo2016 Tue 09-Jun-20 10:26:48

Fingers crossed for you GO4M.
If possible let me know how it goes.

joannapiano Tue 09-Jun-20 13:02:09

Try taking VitaminD tablets, 1,000 IU strength.

BlueBelle Tue 09-Jun-20 13:27:15

‘joannapiano” the equivalents to 1000IU is 25 mg but 10mg is the top amount you should use per day
My friends daughter bought her some VitD thinking the stronger the better she talked to the makers online and thought she was doing the best for her mum they were quite expensive
Four months on my friend was called into the doctors urgently after a blood test for something totally unrelated she was told her vitamin D levels were so high they were on the verge of poisoning her and to stop using the tablets immediately and have another blood test in a few weeks time
I m not saying this to scare you but please do check it out with your GP

Jane10 Tue 09-Jun-20 13:27:22

Soluble Echinacea tablets really help me.

polyester57 Tue 09-Jun-20 13:28:16

You certainly can boost your immune system, but it´s not an overnight thing, it takes time, months if not years. Some cultures (I´m thinking of Russia, where I spent some time, but others also) believe that all well-being all comes from the gut. If your gut works well all else will follow. You have to eat (reasonably) healthy food all the time, plenty of fruit and vegetables, cut down on wheat and sugar, leave out all the convenience foodstuffs. The Russians are great believers in drinking kefir and eating fermented vegetables (kimchi). Also lots of garlic. All medicines, over-the-counter pain relief tablets and antibiotics play havoc with your immune system. Plenty of exercise and a positive outlook add to a sense of well-being. Hope you feel better soon.

PamelaJ1 Tue 09-Jun-20 13:33:20

Getting your gut bacteria into a healthy state can help to boost your immune system.

It’s not a quick fix but the links are proven. It’s too big a subject to go into on this forum. Try reading Tim Spector’s book, the diet myth.

Teetime Tue 09-Jun-20 15:07:24

A consultation with your GP might help inform your decision before you invest in any supplements that may be expensive and of questionable benefit.

PamelaJ1 Tue 09-Jun-20 15:26:59

Polyester57, I must have been typing my response when you posted.

overthehill Tue 09-Jun-20 15:47:38

Polyester you are right. I was always getting colds and I also have IBS. Couple of things helped me. I tackled the IBS initially and realised more or less constant diarrhoea was stopping my body absorbing the needed nutrients from my food. I used to eat loads of fruit, it's good for you right? In my case no, I researched the fodmap diet and now I only eat strawberries and a few grapes. The IBS was then around 80% better. Added to this I take a probiotic which is recommended for IBS sufferers. The upshot of all this my gut is in a much better place. I never say my IBS is cured as I still have to avoid certain foods but I haven't had a cold for 18 months and this is unprecedented.

EllanVannin Tue 09-Jun-20 16:58:12

BlueBell I knew someone who had kidney failure with taking multi-vits and vit-D. It was too much for the kidneys to assimilate and not a good practice at all.
All the vitamins that are needed to keep the body balanced should be in the food you eat, naturally. No supplements should be necessary.

Vitamins shouldn't be taken with regular medication either.

joannapiano Tue 09-Jun-20 18:01:38

BlueBelle, the dosage of Vit D was suggested by our GP, and bought from Holland and Barratt.

Daisymae Tue 09-Jun-20 18:37:35

Low levels of Vitamin D can weaken the immune system. People who live in the northern hemisphere are more likely to be deficient for obvious reasons. As we get Vitamin D from the sun some people would be more likely to be deficient in the winter. I would think that the best course of action would be to talk to your GP or nurse at your surgery.

BlueBelle Tue 09-Jun-20 19:18:23

I do understand joannapiano I m just simply telling you what happened to my friend she was also advice to take Vit D By her doctor hence the reason her daughter bought the hi strength ones thinking the higher the better and that’s what happened to her She was very close to be in her Gp s words poisoned by them She is one of my closest friends so it’s not a rumour, or anything I heard, like Chinese whispers
The frightening thing was if she hadn’t had the blood test for something completely different she would never have known

BlueBelle Tue 09-Jun-20 19:21:24

Whoops pressed too soon
The fact was you were advising other posters to take the high strength ones you post didn’t say go and talk it over with your GP you said
try taking vitamin D tablets 1000 IU strength

Davidhs Tue 09-Jun-20 19:47:30

Nobody has mentioned sunshine, quite a small amount will give you as much vitamin D as you need, tablets are very poorly absorbed and can cause side effects, take them with caution.
A good diet, reasonable exercise, keep warm, that will give your immune system the best chance.

craftyone Tue 09-Jun-20 19:55:26

joannapiano 1000 iu vit D3 is fine. I actually take 5000iu per day after taking part in the d`action testing programme centred in america. For immune system, eat less meat, plenty of fresh fruit and veg, suck a zinc tablet if you get that prickly feeling in your throat. Get out and about when possible, walking, cycling etc

wrong Davidhs, no, even lying fully naked in the summer sun will not give enough vitamin D.

Personally I eat 7-12 a day, not 5 and I have a zest for life which also helps the immune system

I am never ill and am energetic and cheerful all the time, not on any medications at the grand age of 72 and I cycle

craftyone Tue 09-Jun-20 19:58:01

I also agree with Pamelaj1 re the gut microbiome

craftyone Tue 09-Jun-20 20:00:33

polyester, me an my 6 younger siblings grew up on `sour` milk ie naturally fermented unpasteurised milk, we had that almost every day and we had sauerkraut very regularly. None of us are ever ill

Pantglas2 Tue 09-Jun-20 20:46:12

Another thing which is hugely beneficial to your immune system is a good night’s sleep which is when the body repairs itself. Anyone not getting 6-8 hours restorative sleep each night should try and tackle that first for most gain and of course it costs nothing!

Diet, exercise have their part to play as does avoiding touching anything in public and washing hands frequently. More germs are passed by touch than by air.

Tangerine Tue 09-Jun-20 20:58:27

Halve a lemon and soften half in the microwave for a couple of minutes. Pour the juice into a cup and pour mostly hot water into it topped up with some cold water.

I drink this the majority of mornings. Maybe it's psychological but I rarely get a cold. It is a bit sour but you get used to it. I suppose you could put honey in it to sweeten it but I never bother.

Gingergirl Wed 10-Jun-20 10:28:14

Not to dispute any of the other suggestions but no one has mentioned emotional well-being. Stress, eg worry, anxiety, grief, depression....can deplete the immune system just about more than anything else, for a lot of people. Look after yourself.

overthehill Wed 10-Jun-20 15:45:33

Gingergirl I agree with you here. When I was plagued with colds at least three a year maybe more, I developed a victim mentality towards being sick. Why me, and living in dread of catching a cold as they made me so ill. I sort of managed to talk myself round from this and calmed down and this in itself made things better.