Gransnet forums

Health

I didn't know I had hay fever until ...

(28 Posts)
MamaCaz Tue 09-Jun-20 17:39:44

It's taken lockdown to make me realize that I do actually suffer from hay fever, albeit mildly.

In the past, I just put the stuffy/runny nose and eyes and other similar symptoms down to 'fighting off a cold', but this year, as we have been shielding so haven't been exposed to colds or anything else, it has become really obvious that the symptoms must be allergy-related.
One of my sons has come to exactly the same conclusion about his own health!

Has anyone else found the same thing?

Ramblingrose22 Mon 22-Jun-20 12:08:57

Liz46 - yes it's post-nasal drip but I've read that hayfever can cause it because of the reaction in the nose to certain pollens.

Maybe the post-nasal drip has another cause. If it continues after September I'll know it wasn't due to hayfever.

Purpledaffodil Mon 22-Jun-20 08:30:50

Thanks very much MissAdventure. Amazon here I come!

MissAdventure Sun 21-Jun-20 13:48:54

They're called Opticrom, daffodil.
It's strange, because I haven't got any of the usual symptoms.

Purpledaffodil Sun 21-Jun-20 13:38:19

MissAdventure what is the name of your drops please?

Purpledaffodil Sun 21-Jun-20 13:36:58

Interesting to hear hay fever worse this year. I’ve never had it before and seem to have developed for first time ever this year. Worst part is burning weeping eyes. Neither active antihistamine pill seems to do much except I feel washed out?

MissAdventure Sun 21-Jun-20 12:58:16

I've had random bouts of hayfever before, which took me years to work out.

This year I have been really struggling with watery eyes; it almost feels like acid running out of one, and it brings up spots where it touches my face.

I've spent a fortune on drops, washes, as well as tried artificial tears, tea bags.

I have just stated using allergy drops, and the improvement is vast, so, probably another hayfever related thing.

Nandalot Sun 21-Jun-20 12:48:31

Can high pollen give you headaches without the running nose and itchy eyes? I used to get hay fever in the past and have asthma but this year both DH and I seem to be getting the headache without the other symptoms.

dontmindstayinghome Sun 21-Jun-20 12:41:13

My husband has had a persistent cough for many years. Its like constantly clearing his throat. One morning he was so bad that I timed him - he coughed thirty times in one minute!

He's been to the doctor several times & they just tell him it must be viral as there's no infection.

A few years ago it dawned on me that it could be allergies - either allergic rhinitis or hayfever - but he simply wouldn't have it.

He has been particularly bad this year so finally agreed to try taking daily antihistimine. Complete success! And he has finally accepted that he has hayfever. What a result - its only taken about 25 years!!

Liz46 Sun 21-Jun-20 12:29:34

Ramblingrose22

Could I have hayfever?

I am asthmatic and always thought it was an either/or.

Eyes are fine and not sneezing any more than usual but my nose is running more than usual and I have to keep clearing my throat because the build-up in the nose ends up in my throat.

Any ideas?

Post nasal drip?

PinkCakes Sat 20-Jun-20 22:49:05

I was diagnosed with Asthma when I was 36 and developed Hay Fever shortly after that. (60 now)

Lucca Sat 20-Jun-20 22:47:53

I have mild hay fever which started when I was in my sixties.
This year a new weird development is tickly, tingly ears. Annoying but nothing more.

Ramblingrose22 Sat 20-Jun-20 22:45:05

Could I have hayfever?

I am asthmatic and always thought it was an either/or.

Eyes are fine and not sneezing any more than usual but my nose is running more than usual and I have to keep clearing my throat because the build-up in the nose ends up in my throat.

Any ideas?

Cabbie21 Sun 14-Jun-20 12:18:06

I had a lot of sneezing and sore eyes and thought it must be hay fever, which I used to get a lot when I was younger but only occasionally now. Then I realised I was sneezing with dust! I had just done a major clean of one of the rooms, disturbing a lot of dust.

Liz46 Sun 14-Jun-20 12:17:17

I am allergic to tree pollen. Due to lung problems I shouldn't take antihistamines so put a bit of vaseline round my nostrils. This helps a bit.

ninathenana Sun 14-Jun-20 12:13:28

Interesting. DS sufferers with H F he usually has a good half hour sneezing fit when he wakes up and symptoms throughout the day.
He has had nothing this year but then he has only left the house once or twice since March.

LesleyFi Sun 14-Jun-20 10:33:42

Definitely been MUCH worse this year!

Witzend Sun 14-Jun-20 10:29:45

I’ve only had (mild) hay fever in the past 10 years or so. Used to put it down to a sniffly cold, until it belatedly dawned on me.

Alishka Sun 14-Jun-20 10:26:18

The unexpected bonus of being in the Shielded group is that all my antihistamines have remained in the meds.drawer.
Seems that I'm allergic to The Great Outdoorsgrin
I live in a beautiful area, surrounded by trees and bushes btw.

GagaJo Tue 09-Jun-20 22:08:08

I was at work with what I thought was a heavy cold. One of my colleagues said, "I bet it's just hayfever." and gave me an antihistamine. Sure enough, within 20 minutes ALL of the symptoms had gone!

ladymuck Tue 09-Jun-20 20:38:49

I didn't know I was allergic to my birds until I went away on holiday and my constant runny nose dried up. As soon as I returned, it started again, along with the sneezing. However, I put up with it as my budgies are too important to me.

Rosalyn69 Tue 09-Jun-20 20:31:10

I started with hay fever after my cataracts were done.

Luckylegs Tue 09-Jun-20 20:10:06

I know I have asthma and I definitely feel short of breath and very uncomfortable with a mask on especially with the hay fever. My husband doesn’t half talk rubbish sometimes!

PamelaJ1 Tue 09-Jun-20 19:58:32

Luckylegs, can’t be psychological, I’m never psychological!

Apparently this year is really bad.

Luckylegs Tue 09-Jun-20 19:31:53

I just started with hay fever when I was 40 but now it’s assuming massive importance in my life! This is the worst ever I’ve ever been this year. I take Fexofenadine (meant to be the best), nasal spray and eye drops and still I’m in agony. My eyes itch so much, especially underneath and the skin gets so sore because I can’t leave it alone. Trying to use a mask is terrible as my eyes and nose never stop running so I have to keep touching my nose to stop it. My husband says it’s psychological but it’s really not, I can’t breathe and can’t bear my nose and eyes watering so much. There’s nothing to help me, I rang the doctors but I just have to put up with it.

MamaCaz Tue 09-Jun-20 18:28:53

PamelaJ1, at least I don't have that problem, as my OH suffered very bad hay fever as a child. That said, he is very competitive with any of his ailments, so mine can't possibly be as bad as his!