Gransnet forums

Health

Depressed

(43 Posts)
Teetime Thu 18-Jun-20 10:28:02

I think Gransnet is seriously damaging my emotional health. I just read through all the posts and they are so depressing!!! For goodness sake lighten up.

Namsnanny Sun 12-Jul-20 12:26:36

I just find granny's ( or anyone really) telling other granny's how to feel a bit depressing in its self to be honest!

We're not robots all in tune with each other after all.

FarNorth Sun 12-Jul-20 12:23:43

I just noticed this thread was started quite a while ago.
How are you doing now, Teetime?

FarNorth Sun 12-Jul-20 12:19:11

AGAA4

I have just started a less serious thread. A gransnet story starring Boris and Dominic Raab. Maybe wont go down well with some

It sounds like it wouldn't interest me.
So I probably won't take part in it.
I definitely won't criticise it, tho, as no-one on GN is responsible for catering to my wishes, or to those of any other GN member.

Be the change you want to see.

Corryanna Sun 12-Jul-20 12:06:10

As a “Newbie” to GN, I was spoilt for choice as to where to read/post first. I think all moods ARE catered for and if the feeling is that there’s nowhere positive, why not start one?

Hetty58 Sun 05-Jul-20 17:12:13

Teetime, this is just a social forum, take it or leave it. There's not much to 'lighten up' about right now, being stuck in a pandemic.

The really interesting question is 'Why do you find it depressing?'

I'm quite objective and detached about it. I find some of the replies hilarious - even when they are meant to be serious - as there are some real (accidental) comedians on here!

Puzzled Sun 05-Jul-20 16:59:26

There is a difference between not liking something, and actually being depressed.
If someone on here IS depressed the kind thing is for others to offer sympathy and support, as many do.
If you are in deep water, you need someone helping to hold you up;. You do not need anyone standing on your shoulders.
Life is not always sweetness and light (If you have lost a child, you will know that already) but you have to make the best of any situation, or go under.
There must be something each day for which we can be grateful, even being 80 and walking without a stick!

thomasecoell Fri 26-Jun-20 14:18:08

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Lucca Fri 19-Jun-20 08:59:51

PinkCakes

Gransnet is too political for my liking - people slagging off the government all the time. I'd like something other than that, Covid-19, the re-opening (or not) of schools, the Black Lives Matter talk, etc. It's all miserable.

I’m going to say it again....there’s a variety of threads on GN, craft stuff, cooking stuff, relationship issues , jokey threads, and yes news and politics and Covid, It’s honestly easy to avoid what doesn’t appeal to you.

Franbern Fri 19-Jun-20 08:53:04

Well, I can only say that the thread on House and Home about house selling has been one of the high spots of my daily routine during lockdown.

I have met and made many virtual friends on this, shared their hopes (Sometimes disappointments), and joys of finding their new homes, Then discussed what is being done in those new homes and gardens.

It is very uplifting - in no way depressing - and hopefully, those of in UK may even find a way of meeting up together next year.

Having gone through my emails and facebook each morning, that thread is my next stop and has really helped me through this difficult period. It also helped me last year to be able to share my ups and downs of selling and buying property.

Not sure how I would have coped without that thread.

Kandinsky Thu 18-Jun-20 19:56:01

We’re living in very difficult & stressful times at the moment. Even more so for the average gransnetter who may well be in the over 65 vulnerable group. It’s a very scary world right now for older people.

PinkCakes Thu 18-Jun-20 19:43:07

Gransnet is too political for my liking - people slagging off the government all the time. I'd like something other than that, Covid-19, the re-opening (or not) of schools, the Black Lives Matter talk, etc. It's all miserable.

Urmstongran Thu 18-Jun-20 17:59:48

Misery does love misery though.

Scentia Thu 18-Jun-20 17:43:03

I do think sites like this and others similar are just a reflection of how the world is feeling at any one time. I think you will find that a lot more people, who normally cope very well are struggling and need an outlet. Due to our current situation. This is a perfect place for that. If you are looking for more lighthearted threads then just start one yourself and as my son always says “if you don’t like what you read, just scroll on mother!”
A thread will only make you feel depressed if you relate to it and it brings out feelings you are trying to suppress. Lots of threads make me feel sad for the OP and I wish I could help, but they don’t make me feel depressed. If your social media time is making you depressed then you should take a break from it.

Riverwalk Thu 18-Jun-20 17:10:20

Presumably we are all non-paid contributers to GN - therefore equally responsible for the general tone that is set.

GN ebs and flows - sometimes looking at the threads I wonder why I bother, then up pops something that interests me.

It's only an online, public forum - not a social service or charity.

MawB Thu 18-Jun-20 17:04:59

Judy54

"I just read through all the posts and they are so depressing"

There are plenty of lighthearted and fun threads on here so no need for anyone's emotional health to be damaged. Just look at what interests you and steer clear of those that you find upsetting. Reading all the posts must take up a lot of time so perhaps consider spending less time on GN and more on life outside of GN.

More than a little patronising!
so perhaps consider spending less time on GN and more on life outside of GN

Well, that’s you put in your place!

AGAA4 Thu 18-Jun-20 16:56:17

I have just started a less serious thread. A gransnet story starring Boris and Dominic Raab. Maybe wont go down well with some

merlotgran Thu 18-Jun-20 16:36:24

Riverwalk, Light hearted comments are often jumped on before the ink is dry as it were.

I hate the fact that some posters feel they have to add (light hearted thread) at the end of the OP presumably to avoid confrontation. That shouldn't be necessary.

Whilst I agree with your last paragraph, calling Teetime's OP 'a little outburst' just confirms my opinion.

It's bound to put some people off posting.

Riverwalk Thu 18-Jun-20 16:24:27

Teetime I'm surprised at your little outburst!

There are lots of different topics to post on - and as is always said, why not start some lighthearted threads of your own?

GN isn't a Mental Health forum - none of us here is responsible for anyone's emotional health.

AGAA4 Thu 18-Jun-20 16:15:53

Be good to have a balance. Some heavy as in political and some lighter ones and of course always those posters who need help.

Maybe the balance is wrong just now in these strange times.

Rowantree Thu 18-Jun-20 16:03:09

I hadn't seen any posts about embittered old crones. I'm a crone myself, and not ashamed of being one! Not keen on being told to 'lighten up' out of the blue and I don't think those who want to post something sad or depressing or who need some support, should feel put off from doing that.

Lucca Thu 18-Jun-20 14:26:22

I apologise in that case. I was just saying I thought some posters might take issue.

Harris27 Thu 18-Jun-20 14:08:40

I too haven’t spent as much time as usual on this site as I found if very deepressing. And I’m already that way furloughed with no friends and communication daily. Trying to keep up though.

Teetime Thu 18-Jun-20 14:04:36

Lucca I too suffer and have suffered clinical depression for many years.

Judy54 Thu 18-Jun-20 14:00:03

"I just read through all the posts and they are so depressing"

There are plenty of lighthearted and fun threads on here so no need for anyone's emotional health to be damaged. Just look at what interests you and steer clear of those that you find upsetting. Reading all the posts must take up a lot of time so perhaps consider spending less time on GN and more on life outside of GN.

MawB Thu 18-Jun-20 13:14:39

Ilovecheese
I don’t sew
Don’t watch Coronation Street - or any soaps.
Have given up on the Archers
(There is more to life than soaps)

Can’t stand the endless games threads -which go round and round repeating themselves ad nauseam

So much for friendly, lively discussion?

Thank goodness for Soops kitchen and the Argy