Gransnet forums


Funny turn

(13 Posts)
Nannielynn Fri 26-Jun-20 10:32:20


Hi everyone I’m new to this post, but I have a question to all you ladies. I am 62 years old and very active, for the past few months I have been having funny turns I can only describe it as feeling like I’m walking I’m marshmallows, I don’t feel dizzy but kind of drunk feeling. This is starting to worry me does anyone else have this problem. Many thanks for reading this.
Regards Lynn

Marydoll Fri 26-Jun-20 10:59:41

Hi Lynn, welcome. For you to post on here, it must be worrying you.

If this has gone on for months, I really think you need to see your GP. Most of us on here are not doctors and know nothing about any pre-existing conditions or medication you are taking.
It would be irresponsible to try and give a diagnosis.
The only person who can help is your GP. Is there a reason for not contacting him/her? Lockdown isn't an excuse, GPs are still urging people to contact them is necessary.

I hope you get sorted soon.

crazyH Fri 26-Jun-20 11:04:28

Nannielyn, you must see your GP - all the best !

Charleygirl5 Fri 26-Jun-20 11:42:47

I agree- it would be irresponsible as Marydoll said to attempt to give a diagnosis. If you are worried you should be seen. I have welcomed you already but I will again!

Nannielynn Fri 26-Jun-20 11:44:31

Hi I have tried to see my doctor but because if corona virus I am unable to see him, I do get a callback from him but all he says is it could be sinus or ear infection and gives me antibiotics. I am worried but he does not seem interested. Many thanks for your replies.

BlueBelle Fri 26-Jun-20 11:58:05

Is there more than one doctor at your surgery because I would speak to a different one or ask for a second opinion Doctors don’t normally nowadays give antibiotics unless really really necessary and you haven’t mentioned earache or aches and pains or enlarged glands ...things that would point to an infection
People are going to the surgery it isn’t completely out of bounds ask for an appointment and some tests

Nannielynn Fri 26-Jun-20 12:03:18

Thank you bluebelle I will try again to get to see him.


EllanVannin Fri 26-Jun-20 12:35:34

GP first stop. I'm no expert but as you get older all kinds of " funny turns " do happen and anything to do with dizziness needs to be looked into just to be on the safe side to rule out anything that could be more serious.

sparklingsilver28 Fri 26-Jun-20 12:45:02

Nannielynn - You need to ask for a second opinion and to see a doctor. If this proves to be a problem ring NHS 111 and asked for help. Please do this sooner rather than later. These episodes are not normal and need to be investigated.

travelsafar Fri 26-Jun-20 12:49:21

So scarey when things start going wrong. Make sure you get checked out and if you can't get to GP surgery ring 111 they may advise a hospital trip to A and E to get check out. Good luck.

BlueSky Fri 26-Jun-20 13:12:58

Blood pressure going up and down? If you have a monitor you could check it yourself. Have you actually taken a course of antibiotics? If you have and you still have the same problem report back to your doctor asap and say that you are worried. You should be able to get an appointment now that rules are being relaxed.

PinkCakes Fri 26-Jun-20 15:14:25

Could it be high blood pressure? One thing is certain - you need to be seen by a doctor, I think

Luckylegs Mon 29-Jun-20 15:53:05

I was suddenly a bit like this (pre virus) and was sent to A and E, the whole caboodle and it was ‘just’ vertigo, actually Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo after antibiotics and nasal spray and eventually, having the Epley Manouvre done, it went. Nothing to be scared of but you do need seeing properly. Insist!