Gransnet forums

Health

If you are offended by lavatorial don't open

(105 Posts)
Alexa Mon 29-Jun-20 10:28:13

Frequent and numerous complaints about councils not spending public money on providing toilets in public places such as beaches, parks, and high streets. Some people are incontinent or have IBS, or have to change the baby's nappy etc..

The ancient Romans we are told did it all in public, sitting in sociable rows. If we got rid of our inhibitions public toilets like those of the ancient Romans would cost comparatively little, would be sociable places to have a chat, and would not be vandalised or used for drug taking.

MissAdventure Tue 14-Jul-20 18:41:54

It doesn't bear thinking about.
What if you're experiencing some turbulence 'down there'?

phoenix Tue 14-Jul-20 18:47:48

The Romans also ate until they vomited, (had a special room for that) then went back to eating.

They did build good roads though.......................

KaEllen Tue 14-Jul-20 18:53:23

B9exchange Mon 29-Jun-20 15:02:56
Anyone remember this one?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6boxoksi3U

Luis Bunuel - I should have known! grin

timetogo2016 Thu 16-Jul-20 10:07:58

OOOOOOOH not for me.
I would be the first to get bitten on the bum by the damn midges.

Luckygirl Thu 16-Jul-20 10:16:43

I once popped into a ditch with a hedge by a main road in France. All was well - I could not be seen.......that is until a high coach went by and the passengers all gave me a cheery wave!

Witzend Thu 16-Jul-20 10:27:00

In my sister’s former garden (house was early 1800s) there was a small outbuilding with 2 loo ‘seats’ companionably side by side, cut from a large piece of wood. (With no splinters I trust!)
When they bought the house there was still a nail with squares of newspaper hanging off it.

In a museum somewhere in the N of England - I forget the name - (Beamish?) I’ve seen similar with 3 seats, and 3 Japanese tourists sitting on them in hysterics while having their picture taken!

JenniferEccles Fri 17-Jul-20 15:17:11

I remember seeing those and learning about them when we had a tour of Herculaneum !

I can’t see them catching on now!

hicaz46 Sat 18-Jul-20 09:43:16

Never mind strangers. I can have a wee with my partner in the same bathroom, but not a poo. What about everyone else?

Hilarybee Sat 18-Jul-20 09:46:46

Any one else remember Derek Jacobi in ‘I Claudius’ sitting on the loo in a communal toilet?

Nannan2 Sat 18-Jul-20 09:55:46

Not for me either! Cant go with an audience.Welshwife- whats the reason for rolling up trousers above your knees?folk would still see youre there- is it in case youve to 'leg it' after thieves like someone else asked?

Nannan2 Sat 18-Jul-20 10:01:16

Oh yes i watched the comedy 'plebs' and the guys bought an old lavatory building to use as a bar - and it showed the loos i think all togetherhmm

Daddima Sat 18-Jul-20 10:01:28

Meanwhile in Ireland......

Phloembundle Sat 18-Jul-20 10:06:49

I once used a long drop toilet right in the middle of the African bush. Once I had negotiated 10,000 discarded termite wings, it was fine and surprisingly unsmelly, probably due to no- one being able to find it.

Theoddbird Sat 18-Jul-20 10:07:17

I could not do that but I do have to dispose of my waste once a week in a public place. There are often people about when I empty the toilet cassette from my boat...

sandwichgeneration Sat 18-Jul-20 10:07:28

blush

olliebeak Sat 18-Jul-20 10:08:34

@B9exchange - thank you so much for posting that link. I remembered seeing it on TV back in the 70's, but everybody else has told me that I must have imagined it .................... I was beginning to think they were right. I had forgotten that it was subtitled ;-).

Gill61 Sat 18-Jul-20 10:11:48

Then you would have more than Covid 19 to contend with

4allweknow Sat 18-Jul-20 10:15:51

Think the population has increased quite a bit once Roman times, their drainage system would be hard pressed to cope. At least communal and in the open it would be easy to spot those who leave public toilets in an absolute disgrace. Used to changed baby's nappy on ny knee. No fancy changing mat and no disposable nappy either!

kathyd Sat 18-Jul-20 10:15:56

Nannan2

Not for me either! Cant go with an audience.Welshwife- whats the reason for rolling up trousers above your knees?folk would still see youre there- is it in case youve to 'leg it' after thieves like someone else asked?

Because they arre invariably mucky and wet and one has to crouch to use them. I was shocked going into a toilet in a big supermarket and finding one there. They are often in the services too although usually with ordinary ones as well. They are known as Turkish' toilets.

After that I alwways use the disabled. I can't crouch anymore antway.

Aepgirl Sat 18-Jul-20 10:17:32

And we’d all get cholera.

Janetashbolt Sat 18-Jul-20 10:20:16

I always laugh at the songs saying male and female attendants, who cares, i'm in a cubicle

KarenDerna Sat 18-Jul-20 10:29:57

This has made me laugh. I never use those hole in the ground toilets in France. Can't go to the loo outside. Have to be alone with the door shut. I remember when the children were little, they would bang on the door, Muumy Mummy, no peace even when having a wee !!
Always use toilet paper to line the seat in public, before sitting on it

olliebeak Sat 18-Jul-20 10:30:05

The worst toilet experience that I ever had was at a Festival in 1972.

It consisted of a huge round marquee above an open pit in the ground. There was a giant, round contraption of scaffolding poles constructed like a wheel with a centre pole attached to the centre of the tent. The idea was that you rested your backside on the 'outer wheel edge' while doing your business. There were some kind of canvas divisions between the 'open-backed cubicles' with canvas doors that slid to one side to 'cover your dignity' .................. no dignity about your rear view shock!

I only used it ONCE all the time that I was there sad.

Bella51 Sat 18-Jul-20 10:32:09

I agree with MissTree, I did a tour through China too. Local toilets not for the faint hearted, and makes you see how easy it is to spread infections etc.

Jaycee5 Sat 18-Jul-20 10:32:11

There are toilets at Hampton Court that are in a row. They were built for lower courtiers and called the Great House of Easement. 14 people could use it at the same time. That was in the 1600s so we don't quite have to go back to Roman times.