Gransnet forums

Health

Covid protection

(91 Posts)
ExD Wed 01-Jul-20 13:12:39

We are continually told a face mask only shields other people but not the wearer.
As a selfish person, I would like to protect myself from other people who do not wear masks. Is a face shield more likely to give this protection? I notice nurses in a covid ward wear both.

ExD Fri 03-Jul-20 10:39:36

Oh wow Patsy, you will need all the protection you can get to make sure you stay fit. I hope you get a swift appointment and that all goes well.
Lol, that puts things in perspective doesn't it?

oodles Fri 03-Jul-20 10:49:53

If you wash eggs you remove the protective coating so need to keep them in the fridge, American eggs are washed before sale so have to be refrigerated, ours aren't so are safe stored outside the fridge

Sparklefizz Fri 03-Jul-20 10:51:12

infoman ^I know who you are referring too,he has been being the same thing for the south west local news(spotlight).
As I watch both at the same time,and his garden looks wonderful.^

Yes, they often comment on his lovely garden! I think he lives near Bath.

GrannyfromWilmslow Fri 03-Jul-20 10:52:06

I wear a mask mainly to convey that I’m still taking the situation seriously

Brigidsdaughter Fri 03-Jul-20 10:55:58

I bought a couple of visors from Amazon. Very easy and comfortable to wear.
DH bought us rewearables and I couldn't breathe with them. The white single use are fine, no breathing problems but I like the visor best

Annaram1 Fri 03-Jul-20 10:59:53

I live near the sea. It is strange to see people walking along the promenade wearing a mask. Sometimes a couple come along, hand in hand, one wearing a mask, but not the other one. You should not need a mask in the fresh sea air.

Patticake123 Fri 03-Jul-20 11:06:07

My son sent me a rather crude cartoon that was shown in USA to explain to people the purpose of wearing a mask. I have to say, looking at their infection rates it obviously didn’t work but I will endeavour to clean it up and explain.
Two people stark naked one does a wee and the other person is covered in urine.
Two people , one naked one clothed, the naked chap does a wee and the clothed person’s trousers, soak up a lot of the urine.
Two people fully clothed and one person does a wee. The urine is contained within the trousers of the incontinent chap and the other person remains dry.
Hope this doesn’t offend anyone.

Macgran43 Fri 03-Jul-20 11:08:09

This is a good website for masks. www.fxg_masks.co.ukGood selection and explanations

Gwenisgreat1 Fri 03-Jul-20 11:12:34

On the rare occasions I have been in another premises I wear a mask. Out walking the dog, no.

Bijou Fri 03-Jul-20 11:16:13

My only contact has been my daily help who does the chores I am unable to do and she keeps her distance. My supermarket and other deliveries I wear gloves and wipe everything with a cloth wrung out with water and bleach. A teaspoon of bleach to a litre of water. It doesn’t take much more time. Better safe than sorry.

Sparklefizz Fri 03-Jul-20 11:21:08

Macgran43 That web address doesn't work. Is it correct? Thanks.

Dustyhen2010 Fri 03-Jul-20 11:36:57

From July 10th face coverings to be made mandatory in shops in Scotland. I am so pleased about this.

Grannyjacq1 Fri 03-Jul-20 12:25:26

I think face masks should be made compulsory outside. Any tips for avoiding getting the inner bit covered in makeup? Other than not wear make up! I suppose the good thing is that I end up washing them after each use, but end up with no foundation on the area under the mask. I think there's something you can buy to spray on to fix it? Any advice?

Buttonjugs Fri 03-Jul-20 13:02:20

I think a mask is risky. I have got used to not touching my face unless I have clean hands, and I socially distance. I can’t even stand my hair touching my face so I just know that if I was wearing one I would almost certainly unknowingly touch my face. If someone coughs or sneezes nearby there would be limited efficacy because the virus can enter through the eyes.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 03-Jul-20 13:13:09

A lot of people no longer cover their mouth and nose when they sneeze, cough or yawn in public.

Others who do so, touch things like banisters, door handles, goods in shops or handle money afterwards.

These are just two reasons why any virus or bacterial infection can spread quickly.

It only makes sense to follow precautions. Sadly some people don't see it that way, but that doesn't need to stop us from doing so, or asking others politely to comply with the guide lines.

Purplepixie Fri 03-Jul-20 13:16:50

I’ve never wore a face mask but I do wear gloves and wash regularly.

Marieeliz Fri 03-Jul-20 13:24:21

Never seen so many people touching their face fiddling with masks. Usually not covering their noses either. They are strewn everywhere just thrown away.

HootyMcOwlface Fri 03-Jul-20 13:32:51

I’ve seen so many badly fitting/worn masks - just covering the mouth, dangling off one ear, too loose so hanging down with nose and mouth visible. What’s the point of wearing one if you aren’t going to do it properly. Then there’s the glove wearers who get to the till and can’t get their cash or cards out so pull their gloves off, scrunch them up and put them in their pocket (touching the outsides of them). Bonkers.

NannyC1 Fri 03-Jul-20 13:49:43

It does not have to be a Surgical Face Mask. As long as your nose and mouth are covered. There are patterns on the internet. If you do make a mask from cotton can I suggest you out a,pipe cleaner inside across the top it helps been it over your nose and can prevent specs from fogging up.Or just use a scarf.

Tweedle24 Fri 03-Jul-20 14:46:56

Provided that masks are worn properly, they probably do provide a little protection for the wearer. However, if not worn properly (I am sure we have all seen the mask under the nose, under the chin and constant fiddling) they are less than useless as protection for either the wearer or others.

Even if worn properly, their use is negated if the other rules, such as hand washing/gelling, minimal handling, social distancing etc are not followed.

MayBee70 Fri 03-Jul-20 15:07:29

Buttonjugs; but if the person that coughs or sneezes near to you is wearing a mandatory face mask then you will be protected. We wear a mask to protect ourselves and protect others. Which is why everyone should wear one. Wearing one outside does [hopefully] remind people walking towards you to respect your space. I wear a neckerchief and pull it up round my mouth if someone approaches. Even so it's always me that moves away or crosses the road.

Greciangirl Fri 03-Jul-20 15:11:17

Have a hair appointment next week and have to wear a mask.
I don’t mind, but it might get in the way a bit when it comes to cutting and washing hair.
I will nevertheless, comply with my hairdressers wishes.

halfpint1 Fri 03-Jul-20 15:22:31

Bearing in mind that quite a few porkies have been spouted
in the beginning of all this , which was basically because
there were no masks for everyone including the hospitals,
we are now being told that wearing one doesn't prevent
you from getting the bacteria only prevents you giving it
- errrr really? Doesn't add up to logic in my mind.

ExD Fri 03-Jul-20 15:25:05

The original question was
As a selfish person, I would like to protect myself from other people who do not wear masks. Is a face shield more likely to give this protection? I notice nurses in a covid ward wear both.

Substituting the word shield for the the word visor which is the correct name for the face covering I was thinking about - all these answers about when and where people wear a 'mask' are irrelevant.

The question I should have asked was is a face visor more likely to give protection....... it was quite a simple question question and I apologise for using the 'wrong' word for visor.

Lulubelle500 Fri 03-Jul-20 15:37:36

My local supermarket assistants wore face shields a couple of weeks into lockdown, then all but one woman just stopped. Apparently the masks make you sweat, but I have to say I felt much more secure it I had to ask for help (we have an automated checkout, so it's not often) when these were in place. But I suppose it's a personal choice for them. The shop is very small, and only a few customers are allowed in at a time, but, as I say, I felt really well protected when there was a sheet of plastic between me and them!