Gransnet forums

Health

Dry skin at crease on swollen ankle

(10 Posts)
Callistemon Mon 20-Jul-20 17:38:01

Firstly, check with your GP that it is not lingering cellulitis which can sit in the soft tissue according to a GP I saw. He gave me two weeks of antibiotics to clear it.
Secondly, are you on blood pressure medication which can cause swollen ankles? The GP could change the medication if so.

And yes, keep the skin well moisturised.

welbeck Mon 20-Jul-20 16:50:46

you can buy a skin cleansing foam, but it is expensive.
but it is good on delicate skin, also soothing for sore bottoms.
it's called clinisan.
www.gompels.co.uk/clinisan-emollient-skin-cleansing-foam-400ml.html

EllanVannin Mon 20-Jul-20 16:50:36

There is also Thovaline or Sudocrem

welbeck Mon 20-Jul-20 16:43:33

don't use steroid cream, can make the skin thinner.
try the moisturisers rec above.
and be v careful when washing/drying.
not to break the skin.
good luck.

Kupari45 Mon 20-Jul-20 16:36:20

I had similar foot problem to you - last year.
I used EPADERM morning and evening.
Took about a week to see big improvement.
Hope this helps.

PinkCakes Mon 20-Jul-20 13:12:08

There are a few creams you could try -
Double Base
Epiderm
Cerave
Cetraben
or even good old Vaseline.

Teetime Mon 20-Jul-20 10:08:03

I think you might be best with something the District Nurses use which would be a heavy moisturiser in my day it was Diprobase - you could check this with a call to your local pharmacy. I wouldnt put an antiseptic or steroid cream on it unless prescribed. It needs moisturising to stop it cracking and then the skin breaking down.

Coolgran65 Mon 20-Jul-20 10:00:07

I’d forgotten about bio oil.

Has anyone had this happen to them with swollen ankles?

Izabella Mon 20-Jul-20 08:05:46

Try Bio-oil

Coolgran65 Mon 20-Jul-20 04:51:59

I'm hope some of you wonderful grans will be able to help me.

Some months ago my ankles and calves became swollen and my right leg also developed a rash. Many tests were done to check the cause (heart/clot etc and all clear). rash was red, hot and lumpy. Hosp said there was no clot and rash definitely not cellulitis. Second hospital (I was being checked to see if swelling was caused by heart failure) said definitely cellulitis.
GP couldn't decide and gave me an antibiotic for a week.

Anyways, there became a crease at the front of my ankle where the swelling of the top of my foot met the swelling of the bottom of my shin. This crease got a bit red and I was really careful with it to stop the skin breaking.

The swelling has gone down a bit but the skin in the crease has become very dry and skin has built up a little. Think of the shape of a river bed. The centre (the water) is a bit red but not sore. The river banks are dry and a little built up, they feel almost crusty but they're not, it's just dry skin.

I've been using antiseptic Dermol lotion over not legs prescribed by Dr, to keep the skin supple. The rash area feels raised and uneven. But this crease with dry skin is not softening or clearing. The crease is about 3" long. I've also tried a steroid cream that I already had and also argan oil but neither for very long.

I have 3 issues ongoing at the moment and it's getting embarrassing ringing the Clinic about meds/new med not working/what next etc. Especially as on each (telephone) appointment they only deal with one issue.

Has anyone dealt with this, can you tell me how I might get this dry ridge sorted. I'm sorry this post is so long but I've tried to be comprehensive.
Thank you.