Gransnet forums

Health

Problems with a bloated stomach

(8 Posts)
MerylStreep Wed 22-Jul-20 20:24:27

Some years ago I went on the Symprove plan. I never looked back. Wonderful product.
My daughter at one time looked 6 months pregnant ( not good when your size 8/10) she had a food intolerance test.
Everything they said was correct and she's now fine as long as she stays off the bad food

merlotgran Wed 22-Jul-20 20:19:31

I agree with giving up gluten.

It worked wonders for me five years ago and shortly afterwards DGS3 was diagnosed with Coeliacs so it probably runs in the family and I didn't realise what was making me ill.

Squiffy Wed 22-Jul-20 20:12:20

aonk Following on from my previous post, you may be gluten sensitive rather than being full-blown coeliac. Coeliac shows up positive in tests, but sensitive doesn't. The symptoms are very similar, I believe.

aonk Wed 22-Jul-20 19:42:00

Yes he is Madgran. He sent me to a consultant for scans and blood tests. I know bloating can be a sign of ovarian cancer but in my case that has been ruled out.
I’m going to do some research on the gluten free diet. Thank you for your advice.,

Madgran77 Wed 22-Jul-20 19:13:05

Is your DR 100% certain that the bloating is specifically caused by the IBS?

Squiffy Wed 22-Jul-20 18:22:51

aggie Same thought that I had!

Going gluten free transformed my 'tummy issues'! GF food has improved so much over the years and is so much more readily available, so it's not the ordeal that it once was!

It may well be worth trying going gluten free aonk. Good luck! smile

aggie Wed 22-Jul-20 17:56:58

I presume you avoid wheat in all guises ?

aonk Wed 22-Jul-20 17:44:18

I hope no one minds me starting this conversation. I’ve had IBS for ages and all but one of the symptoms are under control. Most of the time I have a truly pregnant looking stomach especially when away from home and in the evenings. I’m lucky to be slim but my narrow pelvis makes it much more obvious. I’m very self conscious about it but it’s not just about the appearance but also the discomfort. I’m very restricted as to the clothes I can wear which makes it hard to find suitable things especially trousers. I don’t see myself as a vain person but I do like to make an effort with my appearance. If I wear trousers I have to carry a ponytail band in my pocket in case I need to undo the button and zip. O course this means wearing long tops and never tucking anything in. My doctor isn’t interested as I have had 2 scans which, thank goodness, don’t show any problems. The medication he has prescribed help with pain but not with bloating. Does anyone else suffer with this problem and if so do you have any advice? Thank you.