Gransnet forums

Health

Curb TV time for health

(7 Posts)
Jane10 Thu 23-Jul-20 09:50:44

I actually read about this study. According to it 'almost 8% of cardiovascular disease could be prevented or delayed by this and 6% of all deaths.
So almost 92% of Cardiovascular disease and 94% of all deaths are not due to watching more than 2 hours TV a day.
I think I'll stick to my current regime of a walk a day, leg exercises etc until I can get back to my Aquafit and yoga classes

Riverwalk Thu 23-Jul-20 08:25:56

I can't remember the last time I switched the TV on, so I must be extremely healthy! hmm

I think the problem with TV, as opposed to other sedentary activities, is that many people particularly older ones, sit for hours and hours on end watching one programme after another. And have it on all day and evening.

So the day revolves around the TV, only interrupted by having to make a meal/drink,

travelsafar Thu 23-Jul-20 08:22:07

I have often wondered about this too. If you average a day say from 7am till 11 pm how can you as you get older stay on your feet for nearly all of it with only a couple of hours sitting down????

sodapop Thu 23-Jul-20 08:20:58

Funny that Jane10. I potter about quite a bit, working round the house and dog walking until 1 pm then a rest for lunch. One of our dogs is older now so needs to go out quite regularly, I'm up and down letting him in and out, JRs are very bossy,
I'm the opposite Whitewave when the weather is colder I'm much more energetic and work harder. The heat makes me sluggish and tired.

Jane10 Thu 23-Jul-20 08:12:41

Even sitting watching TV I keep fidgeting about. I do leg and hip exercises eg drawing numbers from 1-10 in the air with each foot. Also I get up and down at least every hour if not more.
While I'm at my desk working I'm sitting but that's somehow OK. It's just the TV that's bad. Hmmmm.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 23-Jul-20 08:05:01

I find that as I age, sitting for periods of time is not good for me. I stiffen up. So I am deliberately now limiting my sitting to an hour at lunch time. An hour with a cup of tea (now) in the mornings and only watching the maximum of say a films worth if time in the evenings. The rest of the time is taken up with housework, cooking, gardening, walking the dog. I am active - on my feet from about 8am to about 1pm without any sit down. I post on GN stood up!!?Then lunch and a bit more activity. Then tea and perhaps a read of my book then dinner preparation, then fiddling about tidying etc. Dinner then relax for evening which could be tv, or at stuff etc. But I do try to get up and move every half hour or so.

Winter is undoubtedly the worse time for me and I seem to naturally want to semi hibernate and getting motivated to do anything is a real struggle.

tanith Thu 23-Jul-20 07:11:06

Reading the advice that keeping TV viewing to 2 hrs a day has great health benefits I really don’t get it. Obviously the more we move the better but whether I’m watching TV, knitting, reading, sewing etc I’m still sitting, which is the same is it not?

I do walk and garden which keeps me moving but I’m wondering what else I could do to not sit? Of course not everyone is able to be on their feet for long periods.

How about you? What activities keep you on your feet?