Gransnet forums


Campylobacter... and mice??!

(13 Posts)
MellowYellow Fri 24-Jul-20 07:18:30

My 2 and 4 year old grandchildren have had very bad diarrhoea recently, both for over a week but each bout separated by two weeks. Last night the 2 year ended up in hospital and they found out he has campylobacter, so we're assuming the 4 year old had that. It's what is commonly called food poisoning. We're tryng to work out how they've caught it. The parents are careful about food hygiene and cooking and they don't have pets. But they do have mice living in their tiny back garden, where their play tents are and where vegetables grow. I've read thar mice dribble urine and am wondering whether there's a connection. Clutching at straws, I know. Does anyone have experience of this and any suggestions to help the parents know where it came from?

MellowYellow Fri 24-Jul-20 07:20:01

that not thar hmm

Whitewavemark2 Fri 24-Jul-20 07:36:31

Mice are known to carry a strain of the disease, and of course it is possible that the children picked it up in the garden, but tbh it is far more likely that they ate something that was carrying it. That is by far the highest risk factor in contracting campylobacter.

MellowYellow Fri 24-Jul-20 07:41:33

Thank you, that's what I thought too... The mum and dad feel awful that the kids have had this, and they've been so poorly.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 24-Jul-20 07:48:58

Mellowyellow. hope they are better soon.

MellowYellow Fri 24-Jul-20 07:52:41

Aw thank you GG13. I know it passes (in more ways than one!) eventually with no after effects. My adult son had it once - chicken undercooked by him!

SueDonim Fri 24-Jul-20 09:54:40

My Dh once had campylobacter and was v poorly, which is totally unlike him. We never found out where he got it as we had all been eating the same things. Our main suspicion was that we’d had a catered party but no one else was ill so it remained a mystery.

I think you have to put it down to it being ‘one of those things’ and not worry about it too much. I hope your GC are both feeling much better soon. flowers

MellowYellow Fri 24-Jul-20 20:06:44

Thanks SueDonim, a mystery it certainly is in my grandchildren's case. But I hear that both have bounced back, which is lovely news as it is the little one's 3rd birthday tomorrow.

Jane10 Fri 24-Jul-20 20:48:40

I'm glad they're better. I had Campylobacter and it was awful. I felt so ill. Public health traced it to an Indian restaurant. I was an adult. It must have been extra bad for such wee ones. Poor parents. What a worry.

MellowYellow Fri 24-Jul-20 21:02:11

Thank you Jane.

MellowYellow Mon 27-Jul-20 06:48:49

I spoke to my daughter in law yesterday and she said that the doctor at the hospital thinks the most likely source for the children was raw mushrooms! My son loves eating them (just the ordinary supermarket ones) and has begun to pop them into the children's pre-school lunch boxes, and the kids love them apparently. Thought you would be interested to know...

Jane10 Mon 27-Jul-20 07:03:32

Interesting. Your poor son though. He must feel so guilty!

MellowYellow Mon 27-Jul-20 07:20:42

He doesn't seem to Jane, probably because he had no idea about the possibility of it. I started him on eating raw mushrooms when he was a child without knowing there could be a problem. It's a rare occurrence though, probably only from one tub of mushrooms which they both ate from. Hey ho, we live and learn!