Gransnet forums

Health

Denplan Refund/Credit anyone?

(16 Posts)
Sparklefizz Wed 05-Aug-20 11:43:51

Has anyone asked about a refund or credit for Denplan payments made during lockdown when no dentists were available? I pay nearly £30 a month so it's not a small sum.

SueDonim Wed 05-Aug-20 12:32:43

I was thinking about this yesterday when I saw the payment going out of my bank account. I pay £70+ a month because there’s two of us and my daughter. Maybe we need to ask them!

grannysue05 Wed 05-Aug-20 12:44:13

We are on Denplan too and apparantly Denplan is a contract between you and your dentist.
If you decide to ask for a refund, you are, of course, breaking the contract.
In this case you may be refunded but if you decide to return to that dentist, he/she is entitled to ask for a payment to reinstate you.
That payment would, of course, be equal to what you had been refunded.
We decided to retain our Plan as we love our dental practice, and would not consider going elsewhere.

Bridgeit Wed 05-Aug-20 12:55:53

How often would you normally see the Dentist? did you have a problem during lockdown ?
If it is value for money normally, I wouldn’t think it would be worth the bother to ask for a refund.

craftyone Wed 05-Aug-20 12:58:47

definitely not, it is value for money and is an insurance. I agree 100 with grannysue

kittylester Wed 05-Aug-20 13:08:20

I think we were offered a reduced payment at the start of lockdown.

Iam64 Wed 05-Aug-20 13:13:27

I'm with DenPlan, covid meant I missed my check up and hygienist clean scale and polish. I'm sure they will be in touch as soon as its safe to return to work. My husband had an emergency appointment this week.
I don't expect a reduction in my monthly payment. It's value for money and I see it as a form of insurance. It even works in Spain (usually)

Greeneyedgirl Wed 05-Aug-20 13:19:45

My dentist years ago told me not to bother with Denplan, and he is private. He said it didn’t cover crowns and certain other treatments and to save the equivalent amount in an account to pay for treatment when necessary. This has proved good advice over the years as I would have paid out thousands to Denplan and haven’t paid the equivalent on private treatments.

Jane10 Wed 05-Aug-20 14:25:29

I only pay £11 a month for Denplan. It's been extremely good value for me. I feel very sorry for our dental practice. It was recently bought and expensively re equipped by a nice young family man. I hate to think of the precarious position he's in financially. I think the govt completely forgot dental practices that cover NHS as well as private patients.

Jane10 Wed 05-Aug-20 14:26:34

I wouldn't dream of asking for a refund under the circumstances.

Greeneyedgirl Wed 05-Aug-20 17:08:12

That is veeery cheap Jane10 you must have good “risk free teeth” smile

Jane10 Wed 05-Aug-20 17:26:11

I know. I'm lucky. Chose my genes well!

Chrisks Sat 08-Aug-20 11:36:35

I feel I’m still ok with paying out the monthly fee but I did object when I had a letter saying that I would have to pay extra for their PPE! Has anyone else had this?

monk08 Sat 08-Aug-20 12:05:10

Chrisks

I feel I’m still ok with paying out the monthly fee but I did object when I had a letter saying that I would have to pay extra for their PPE! Has anyone else had this?

No letter but went to my dentist wed sign in waiting room saying there would be a charge for PPE but I came away with no charge.

FoghornLeghorn Wed 12-Aug-20 20:30:08

My dentist was really good. They e-mailed me at the start of lockdown to tell me they were suspending my payments and would restart them when they were working again. I didn’t even have to ask.

Oopsminty Wed 12-Aug-20 20:43:19

FoghornLeghorn

My dentist was really good. They e-mailed me at the start of lockdown to tell me they were suspending my payments and would restart them when they were working again. I didn’t even have to ask.

Same here.