Gransnet forums

Health

Co amoxiclav 500mg

(21 Posts)
farview Sat 08-Aug-20 19:52:07

Has anyone taken these? Any side effects? Because the list of them on the leaflet is endless...

SueDonim Sat 08-Aug-20 19:58:11

I’ve had them in the past, I think for a tooth abscess. No side effects that I recall. It’s a fairly commonly used drug.

Hetty58 Sat 08-Aug-20 20:01:49

Most medicines have an alarming list of possible side effects (often rare).

Some, I simply can't tolerate, others seem to work fine or have no effect. I think it varies with the individual.

Usually, they're worth a try, at least. Just make a note of anything unusual for you (useful feedback for the doctor).

nanaK54 Sat 08-Aug-20 20:06:06

My Dh has been prescribed this for a severe chest infection, no side effects and he was soon much better

farview Sat 08-Aug-20 20:30:41

Thank you all...x

crazyH Sat 08-Aug-20 20:44:54

I have Bronchiectasis and take a course of these once every six or nine months.....touch wood , didn't need them since last November (I think). I also have a course of 21 tablets ready in my medicine box.
And, to answer your question, no side effects whatsoever. I tend not to read the list of side effects always provided with the tablets. You then tend to imagine things.
I hope you get a few more opinions. All the best !

farview Sat 08-Aug-20 21:45:30

Thank you...had an accident with a strimmer yesterday.it was noisier and throwing out bits of strimming wire....strimming wire hit my leg...bled profusely....today realised that something wasn't right..reluctantly went to A&E...theres an inch long piece of wire in my shin...so hence the antibiotics...they tried to get it out but couldn't...being seen again on Tuesday...ouch!!

crazyH Sat 08-Aug-20 21:53:08

Oh dear - that's ?
Hope you get sorted soon ....

Chewbacca Sat 08-Aug-20 21:55:25

Ooo farview that sounds nasty. I hope your leg heals well.

welbeck Sat 08-Aug-20 22:56:53

have you had a tetanus jab recently.
keep an eye on it. is it covered with a dressing.
watch out for any hotness around the wound, swelling, and esp tracking up the leg.
any of those go straight back to A&E.
i have seen severe soft tissue infection close up. before that i would not have been so alert to it. it can gallop. v seriously.

welbeck Sat 08-Aug-20 22:59:45

and you must of course take the antibx.
that one is a good broad spectrum.
are you re-dressing the wound til tuesday.
i'm sure you'll be careful to keep it clean. try to elevate if poss.
do not do too much. rest up.

Callistemon Sat 08-Aug-20 23:19:22

I had to have a course of antibiotics recently and the list of side effects was alarming.

Don't be too alarmed, farview, about the side effects, and I hope it clears up.
At least you are being seen again and they will probably remove the wire and your leg will then heal.

Yes, a tetanus jab is a good idea, when was your last one?

farview Sun 09-Aug-20 13:00:34

Had a tetanus 4 yrs ago.so covered for a while yet...being a wuss when it comes to taking medication...have really hesitated...BUT taking first one now...

welbeck Sun 09-Aug-20 23:30:27

the remote risks from taking antbx are far less thn the risks of infection, both in terms of probability and severity.
is there any partic reason why you resisted taking them.

welbeck Sun 09-Aug-20 23:31:33

how does the leg look feel now?

farview Mon 10-Aug-20 06:36:54

wellbeck they always give me a really upset tummy
Haven't removed the dressing, have a follow up app early a.m Tuesday..
But I can tell that it's not quite as sore,hardly hurting

Motherofmany Mon 10-Aug-20 22:02:12

My DD who has Down Syndrome a complex heart problem and bronchectasis takes co amaxiclav x3/day from October until March for the last 3 years they have been a lifesaver,!
She has had no side effects but despite all her health problems she is very stoical and rarely complains.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 10-Aug-20 22:34:42

Yes I have taken them, many times for teeth infections and the only side effect I get is tiredness.

Phloembundle Mon 17-Aug-20 12:21:26

Mum has them regularly for UTI. I always buy her Actimel drinks to ward off loose stools and upset tum, and keep immodium melts handy.

GrandmasueUK Tue 18-Aug-20 17:55:04

I've just started taking these today. I have an abscess at the base of my spine. After filling in an online form and sending off two photos to my GP blush I received an email message (which I requested, rather than face to face). She prescribed the antibiotics, my partner went to pick them up - all within 40 minutes. The abscess always makes me tired, but now the tablets are as well!

BlueSky Tue 18-Aug-20 18:12:53

Do they still do the tetanus every 10 years? When I had one a couple of years ago I was told I won't need any further boosts. As I was only 65 at the time I wouldn't have thought I was too old to have further boosts.