Gransnet forums

Health

AF - when do you seek advice?

(8 Posts)
Luckygirl Mon 10-Aug-20 11:15:07

I have known paroxysmal AF which only rarely gives trouble. I am on a blood thinner and beta blocker.

I know several people on here have the same problem and wondered what they do when it starts to happen. This is the first time I have been here on my own when it has happened. My OH died in February - he was a doctor and would tell me when further advice was needed.

I woke up breathless this morning and realised the AF was playing up. I have various bits of kit and am able to monitor the rate and rhythm - rate has veered between 46 and 168 - but is mostly stable at just over 100. SATS went down to 89, but bob around depending on how the rhythm is going.

I am pottering about and not flattened out by it. Last time it happened I was in A&E for a few hours while they monitored it and they sent me home still in AF. I don't really want to do that in the current coronavirus situation - I am better off here at home I think.

What do others do when it starts to play up?

loopyloo Mon 10-Aug-20 12:46:56

Do they still prescribe digoxin?

Luckygirl Mon 10-Aug-20 12:50:01

Th first time it happened about 6 years ago I was given digoxin in hospital and it worked very quickly; but it no longer seems to be prescribed in general practice - certainly no-one has suggested it to me.

It has finally settled down by itself but I spoke to GP on phone and she had some suggestions for me if it happens again.

Auntieflo Mon 10-Aug-20 14:22:24

Luckgirl, sorry to hear you are feeling unwell.

I have had this in the past, and unless it gets too bad, I find that taking a deep breath in, holding it, and at the same time pulling my shoulders down, still holding my breath, did help me.

Glad that you had some advice from the Dr, and wishing you better soonest.

ExD Mon 10-Aug-20 14:27:37

My SIL has it but doesn't seem to have been given any advice at all about how to cope (either that or man-like he's ignoring it). It seems to be a very neglected problem and as long as you make no fuss you're juet left to get on with it.

Luckygirl Mon 10-Aug-20 14:52:59

Thankfully the doctor I spoke to this morning gave me some very sound advice about what to do when it occurs as badly as it did today - this is the first time I have received that sort of advice so it was very welcome indeed. I now have something I can take to try and abort an attack, should it happen again.

I was working it out and it is nearly a year since it has happened as badly as this morning. But now I am forearmed for next year!

Phloembundle Fri 14-Aug-20 10:21:09

Hi. Mum has had AF for years. After several episodes of going into fast AF during infections she was px dioxin 125mcg. She did have a problem with toxicity whilst in hospital,but is stable now. I take her pulse every morning to make sure it's not too low, because many years ago, pulse was always taken before it was given and omitted if below 60bpm. I only give her half the dose because I read somewhere that elderly people should never have more than 62.5 mcg. Mum also takes Bisoprolol. Though true that digoxin is not px if another drug will work, due to higher mortality rates, it is still a very drug if used properly. It seems to work for. Theoretically, people on it should have regular blood tests in case of a build up in the system, but that doesn't happen unless requested. I do know that when this happens it causes nausea and loss of appetite.

Luckygirl Fri 14-Aug-20 10:29:10

I take propranalol and a blood thinner. I have bisoprolol here to take if an attack comes on. I don't like it as it makes me feel ill so I will just use it if things get as bad again.