Gransnet forums

Health

Painful hip replacement - 6 years old

(6 Posts)
NotSpaghetti Sun 23-Aug-20 19:01:43

I would ask forcefully to see a consultant who does corrective work.
I would not go back to the one who did the surgery.

Charleygirl5 Sun 23-Aug-20 18:44:23

I have PMed you. Good luck.

GrannyLaine Sun 23-Aug-20 17:07:15

Luckygirl this sounds dreadful. I would advise ringing the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) at the hospital, telling them what you've told us. They will act on your behalf and they do carry quite a bit of clout. I do hope you can get some resolution.

Charleygirl5 Sun 23-Aug-20 16:37:31

I remember when you had the hip replaced and from what you are saying now, you need to have that hip revised and another inserted. I hope you are not going remotely near the fellow who inserted your last hip. I also remember it was done privately.

I would ring the consultant's secretary explaining what has happened and you can barely cope especially living on your own. Do not be fobbed off.

the # at the lower end of your femur is worrying me and that should be investigated.

Do you trust the consultant you saw?

silverlining48 Sun 23-Aug-20 16:30:58

Sorry to hear that lucky girl, I can’t help but am sure others can. It sounds as if you need further checks to clarify what might be going on. It’s dreadful to be in such pain.
I would try ringing ‘ ortho guys’ Secretary plus GP. That should do the trick.

Luckygirl Sun 23-Aug-20 14:03:41

My hip replacement has been painful since Day One and the only gain was that my hip stopped locking in place.

Now, 6 years latter, I am still in pain, and this has got steadily worse in the last two weeks.

I saw an ortho guy last October/November and he did a series of scans and x-rays (also of my broken foot and knees, as I had had a spontaneous fracture of my femur at the knee) and organised an appointment for early this year to follow up on it all. This was cancelled because of the virus.

In the last couple of weeks the pain has worsened considerably and it hurts at rest as well as on movement. Getting dressed is quite a challenge.

I have rung the department twice and both times was promised a phone appointment to feed back the results and talk about possible treatment options. Nothing happens.

If I ring my GP it will take weeks to get even a phone appointment. I am now living on my own and struggling with this - the pain is debilitating, and there are difficulties over pain relief options for various reasons and paracetamol is my only option - it does not hit the spot at all. I cannot even use anti-inflammatory gels as I am on an anti-coagulant.

Has anyone else had problems with a hip replacement long term?