Gransnet forums

Health

Hot tub for rheumatoid arthritis?

(24 Posts)
Marydoll Mon 24-Aug-20 19:01:04

QuickFire9, my post was tongue in cheek! grin.
I'm a Glesca grannie. You can't have been on GN very long, I'm infamous!

GrannyGravy13 Mon 24-Aug-20 15:49:34

We have a very large solid hot tub in garden under a wooden pagoda for 16 years, costs approximately £1 - £2 per week to run.

We have small steps against the side to get into it, Mum managed to get in and out and she was in her eighties.

(all GC have learnt to swim in it)

Teetime Mon 24-Aug-20 15:42:07

My daughter has one and she says it relives here psoriatic arthritis. There is a step outside and a little step inside and a shelf to sit on. I would love one for my OA but DH is not keen because of all the chemicals and bacteria e.g. pseudomonas, Klebsiella etc if you dont manage it properly. People use them everywhere for the relief of pain and for relaxation so its possible to manage it or have a company do it for you regularly. If you keep an eye on your facilities provider and the rates you should be fine.

Charleygirl5 Mon 24-Aug-20 14:31:19

Thanks JuliaM that is excellent information. I personally think they are only really for the fit. I am like Marydoll I could not get in or out- I have so much metal in my body and being marginally over the age of 29 so my balance is not good.

JuliaM Mon 24-Aug-20 13:01:49

My daughter has just got rid of her Laz-e-spa hot tub that she originally bought to treat a sports injury prior to finally having major hip surgery. They are quite expensive to run, thecost of the special Water treatment chemicals, test Kit supplies, electricity to heat the water and the filter system, plus the cost of the large volume of water itself via her Watermeter, made it more expensive than a good quality gym membership with a wider choice of treatments available.
The home tubs have to either be housed undercover indoors, or restricted to summer only use as they are prone to freezing over winter. They also take quite a lot of time and effort to keep clean and maintain, just like a swimming pool does. The Hot Tubs that are often installed at larger leisure centres also have built.in Disabled Access, either by shallow steps, a gentil slope, or even a hoist in some places, allwith very good grab handles and rails fitted, somethingthat the home tubs are mostly sadly lacking in.

shysal Mon 24-Aug-20 12:27:45

I have RA (well controlled with medication) and have at least an hour in the bath every morning, reading my book. I add a little squeeze of Dove creme bath and never get dry skin. I have to get under the water by going onto hands and knees then flipping over. Same in reverse for getting out, and I am lucky to have the basin next to the bath to hang onto whilst stepping over the rim. I follow the bath with a walk, and rarely suffer aches and pains.
I like the idea of a hot tub, but for all the reasons already given, I wouldn't want one.
I hope you find relief in some way. flowers

QuickFire9 Mon 24-Aug-20 11:16:20

Marydoll, the name is used here a lot for people called Mary. It’s taken from Rab C Nesbitt, a comedy in the late 80s.
I’m sure it’s not just the Scots that use it.

Callistemon Sun 23-Aug-20 23:10:43

Dead Sea salts or similar
Magnesium salts are supposed to be very good too.

Marydoll Sun 23-Aug-20 22:44:34

If only there was a cure Charleygirl ! ☹️

PS, I did what I have been told to do, rest! ?

Charleygirl5 Sun 23-Aug-20 22:22:04

Marydoll you need never have any worries because a hot tub is too deep for you to get in and even if a miracle happened, if you stood up I think you would fall because there is nothing to grab. If the impossible did happen you are correct you would never get out.

Seriously a soak in a bath or a shower. As some of us know there is no cure for RA an auto immune disease.

Iam64 Sun 23-Aug-20 22:01:10

QuickFire, get some Dead Sea salts or similar and soak in your own bath, inside. It does help with RA and you don't have either the risks that come with hot tubs, or the environmental negatives.

Marydoll Sun 23-Aug-20 22:01:05

unsure!!!!

Marydoll Sun 23-Aug-20 21:59:58

Quickfire, sure why you think I'm Scottish!! ??

Welcome, by the way

NotTooOld Sun 23-Aug-20 21:53:29

I should have said 'after a particularly bad rash'.

NotTooOld Sun 23-Aug-20 21:52:57

Don't mind at all, QuickFire. My DH has sensitive skin and after a particularly bad one he decided it was the fault of the hot tub. Tbh it could have been anything but the hot tub got the blame.

QuickFire9 Sun 23-Aug-20 21:49:15

Marydoll, I’m not sure I could either. I’m in Scotland. With the name Marydoll I have a feeling you maybe too. I’d need to try it first to be honest. My husbands mobility is worse than mine though.

Marydoll Sun 23-Aug-20 21:45:00

I have RA. However if I actually managed to get into a hot tub, I'm certain I would never get out of it again. ?

QuickFire9 Sun 23-Aug-20 21:41:25

NotTooOld, thank you. Do you mind me asking why you got rid of it?

NotTooOld Sun 23-Aug-20 21:21:37

We had one outside for a year and it was lovely. Admittedly DH looked after it, not me, so I can't tell you the ins and outs of maintaining it but we had some lovely late evenings sitting in it watching the shooting stars and even the space station going over once or twice. It can be a bit tricky getting in and out but you get used to it. It's very relaxing and, no, we never got Legionnaires disease!

QuickFire9 Sun 23-Aug-20 21:14:27

Midgey thank you. I didn’t know you could get Legionnaires disease from it!

midgey Sun 23-Aug-20 20:46:53

Apparently you need to keep the chemicals balanced so you don’t get legionnaires disease! Keep to the bath inside!

QuickFire9 Sun 23-Aug-20 20:36:39

Esspee that’s a point! We have a lovely offset corner bath that stays hot for a long time as it’s Carronite. We are happy using it but the RA site says the water should be 33 degrees minimum. It sounds good but is expensive and as you say has lots of chemicals. It’s also outside! Talking me out of it already... thank you.

Esspee Sun 23-Aug-20 20:26:32

Would getting in and out pose problems?
My choice would be a hot bath. No nasty chemicals and always fresh clean water.

QuickFire9 Sun 23-Aug-20 20:21:51

Does anyone have a hot tub in the garden and would you recommend one please? I have rheumatoid arthritis and my husband has ankylosing spondylitis. We won’t go back to a swimming pool now. I just wondered if it’s something we would keep using as they are expensive.