Gransnet forums

Health

Worried about trains and tubes

(45 Posts)
Gingster Sun 23-Aug-20 20:53:34

My GD aged 4 has to go to Great Ormond St Hospital in 2 weeks time. My DD will obviously take her but it is about an hour and a half away by train and tube. DD isn’t used to travelling through London and I have offered to go with them as a bit of support. She has no one else! She accepted my offer gladly and now I’m thinking about the risk Covidwise. I’m 70 and should I really go. ? What would you do?

Maremia Tue 25-Aug-20 17:32:51

MawB2, the posters are simply concurring that a taxi is the best choice. So nice to see such a kind, helpful thread.

Gingster Mon 24-Aug-20 19:29:41

Many thanks for taking the time and interest to reply with great ideas and thoughts. You’re all wonderful grans. ?

silverlining48 Mon 24-Aug-20 18:23:10

It’s only. 20 minute walk to the hospital if arriving at Euston/ Kings Cross/St Pancras. Probably the best option. Or else...a black cab? Only joking. grin

MawB2 Mon 24-Aug-20 17:26:00

Do people actually read the preceding posts?
How many people have already flagged up the possibility of Gingster not being allowed in, and just about everybody has “suggested” a taxi!

Wibblywobbly Mon 24-Aug-20 17:21:17

There is a good chance that you won’t be allowed in so research somewhere to go and wait beforehand and definitely take a black cab.

4allweknow Mon 24-Aug-20 15:35:10

Cab definitely given a young child and buggy. Please check you will be allowed to accompany your DD and GC. I have been to 3 appointments with DH who has cancer and not allowed to accompany him in to Oncologist even though he is hearing impaired.

Bluecat Mon 24-Aug-20 14:49:23

Taxis are perhaps the best form of transport - no jostling from other passengers - but only if they stick to the guidelines. My brother-in-law owns a taxi firm and I know that he insists on very strict sanitising of seats, door handles, etc, for each passenger, and passengers must sit in the back with windows open, and so on... However, we were in a car park recently and my DH, who used to drive for his brother's company, was watching a driver from another company. He pointed out that one lot of passengers got out, the driver handled their bags, and another lot got in. The driver didn't sanitise anything, not even a door handle, and didn't clean his own hands.

If you are going to use a taxi, you need to know it's clean. My DD used an Uber recently and said that the driver was careful to sanitise everything before allowing her to get in.

Is it the journey that worries your daughter or the appointment? If the latter, you are unfortunately unlikely to be allowed in. I understand that you want to go - so would I - but maybe it would be safer for someone younger to go with her. It just reduces the risk.

westendgirl Mon 24-Aug-20 14:17:46

Have just had updated message from Foundling Museum to say that they are only opening weekends from 29th August.
Sorry about that , but as other posters have said there are squares and cafes round the area.
All the very best.

Pippa22 Mon 24-Aug-20 14:06:35

Sorry, got your name wrong, wasn’t me but iPad!

Pippa22 Mon 24-Aug-20 14:05:27

I too am 70 and an appointment at Guys in London last week. I have been almost isolating since March, not been in any shops or on public transport.
I took a train which felt really safe, not very busy and everyone I saw wearing masks. At the hospital strictly patients only unless blind or disabled, we had to take off our own masks and take a hospital one. A4 questionnaire about health then had temperature taken. Felt fine and because it was patients only it was quiet.
Ginsberg, based on my recent experience I think it is highly unlikely that you would be able to attend the appointment at GOCH. This is all part of the new normal I think.

maddyone Mon 24-Aug-20 13:29:06

Go to support your daughter. Take all safety precautions, masks, gel, social distancing. Use a black cab, not the tube. You can buy virus killing wipes from Amazon, get some and wipe down the arm rests on your train seats. When going in or out through any door, train, taxi, hospital, use the hand gel. Ensure your gel is anti viral, not just anti bacterial. Wash all your clothes after you get home.
Good luck.

silverlining48 Mon 24-Aug-20 13:00:06

I woukd go, take precautions of course and if you can’t go into the hospital there are lots of nice cafes with outside seating, along the road from GOSH, as well as the open spaces.

Aprilgran Mon 24-Aug-20 12:36:48

I second what others have said. Either take a black cab (they have screens between passengers and the driver, perfectly safe) or walk. Another place you could go to while you wait for your daughter and granddaughter would be Russell Square, a 5-minute walk. It has a lovely cafe with both inside and outside tables. Just walk through the gardens to get to the British Museum, but you have to book online for admission in the present circumstances.
Good luck with the consultation

Cas70 Mon 24-Aug-20 12:34:43

TAXI !

Abuelana Mon 24-Aug-20 12:21:50

I think if you take all precautions you will be ok. Train will be ok if you need to do underground I’d jump in a cab or Uber.
Your instincts as a mum and GM are spot on. If your normally healthy go and give support. Good luck

westendgirl Mon 24-Aug-20 12:19:17

As others have said I think you will be ok with your mask, sanitiser etc and if you can in a black cab .
I don't know if they are open but the Foundling Museum is delightful , and they have a cafe in case you are not allowed in .All the best.

Caro57 Mon 24-Aug-20 12:05:04

I was in an Uber last week that had separation. Cab of some sort or another, it will be no more expensive than 3 of you on Tube

vegansrock Mon 24-Aug-20 11:59:52

Coram Fields rules aren’t a “sign of the times” I think those rules have been around for well over a century. It’s a park for children. I think it’s nice that adults aren’t allowed in unless accompanied by a child.

GillT57 Mon 24-Aug-20 11:53:59

My son is back commuting into London now, the trains, even in rush hour are very sparsely occupied, and even the tube is quiet, so please do not worry. Vast majority wearing masks and being sensible too. But, if I was doing the journey, I would take a taxi from mainline station. Hope all goes well.

Annanan Mon 24-Aug-20 11:18:53

My vote is for a black cab. Ubers and minicabs will not have the separation of the driver from the passenger and are not as likely to be COVID-19 safe. I can endorse the recommendation of Queen‘S Square, as I used to be a patient at the neurology hospital and spent many hours in the square relaxing. Very very best of luck.

Madwoman11 Mon 24-Aug-20 11:01:18

You won't be allowed in the hospital due to covid, however you could drive them there which is a safer option to cabs or public transport.
You should be ok as long as guidelines are adhered to.

NotSpaghetti Mon 24-Aug-20 10:47:15

I would support your daughter and go. It’s about 25 mins walk from Euston or St Pancras and we have done it many times as it’s straightforward.

There is a small park on the corner (with benches) nearby if they won’t let two adults in. It’s called Queen’s Square gardens. At lunchtime the benches were often busy though. Also, in the same square, there’s a community cafe at “The Mary Ward Centre”. It can sometimes be a bit slow getting served if they are busy but is friendly and used to people sitting for a long time (as I have done).

Obviously there are plenty of other cafes nearby too. I have not been since Covid-19 arrived so don’t know how they are all operating.

Good luck. I’m sorry your little granddaughter is having to go to the hospital but hope you have a straightforward trip and that she is as well as possible as soon as possible.

StephLP Mon 24-Aug-20 10:46:36

@Gingster - do check whether you will be allowed in before you make this journey. My baby grandchild has recently had 2 outpatients appointments and only 1 parent was allowed in with her.

aonk Mon 24-Aug-20 10:45:58

I agree with all the previous posts and think you should go. I would mention that when my GD was seen at GOSH twice recently only one adult was allowed to accompany her. If this is still the case you will need to find somewhere nearby to wait.

MawB2 Mon 24-Aug-20 10:20:48

@Gingster if you should decide to go too for moral support and practical help, you might be able to visit the Foundling Hospital while your daughter and GD are at GOSH- if you are not allowed in. Or a wander round the British Museum - assuming both are open.
Glad you are happy at the thought of a black cab. I am sure it will be fine.