Gransnet forums

Health

Hypoglycemia- info please.

(9 Posts)
kittylester Tue 01-Sep-20 07:18:59

Who knows biba!!

He lives 2 hours away but, as I said, he has his own children so we can't interfere too much. I'm looking for pointers really as our niece talks to me.

biba70 Mon 31-Aug-20 20:54:36

Something is definitely not right - does he live far from you? Sounds more like onset dementia or Alzheimer's than hypoglycemia?

One of my brothers was in denial over his diabetes- because he wanted to continue to drink beer and eat all the wrong things. He was happy that he was losing weight (one of the symptoms of diabetes)- he was admitted to hospital recently with a blood sugar count of 38 - off the scale.

kittylester Mon 31-Aug-20 20:27:10

He also passes out - we think - but he says he trips over things.

kittylester Mon 31-Aug-20 20:25:57

Thanks Izabella. He says he has been diagnosed with hypoglycemia without diabetes.

But, he is a cantankerous old whatsit and we think he isn't quite truthful.

Their son in law's parents went for lunch on Saturday and he was dressed only in his underwear, swearing at his wife and convinced he was properly dressed.

He has appalling RA and is often in pain, won't have a referral to a pain clinic as they couldn't help and is quite intimidating to his wife.

His daughter is very worried, as we assume is his son, but they dont talk to each other. So guess who gets the panicky messages?

Izabella Mon 31-Aug-20 20:09:00

Most diabetics are initially aware they are going hypo. If ignored many also exhibit behavioural change - confusion, irritability, socially inappropriate behaviour, risk taking behaviour, violence and so on. Some have been arrested for being 'intoxicated.' Is that what you are asking kitty?

Untreated - fitting, coma and death.

mary51 Mon 31-Aug-20 10:49:31

You do know it is going to happen if like me you take insulin to treat diabetes. You may feel confused and not quite right as mentioned above and need something to eat straight away, sit down if you can and test your blood sugar again in 20 minutes to see it rising.

I've been told I can be a bit irritable if I don't have something to eat at once.

Hypoglycemia, when not on insulin, is a different condition. The brain does need a certain amount of glucose every hour, (Google very helpful) and he may feel better and calm down after eating something sweet and sugary, such as cake, cereal with sugar, jam etc.

kittylester Mon 31-Aug-20 09:22:30

Thanks teetime. Not me, thankfully! DH's very stubborn and bolshy brother! And that is before he becomes hypoglycemia.

Do you know it is about to happen?

Teetime Mon 31-Aug-20 09:19:02

This does affect me especially if taking any exercise so I have to be sure to have something small on me and I soon 'come round'. I don't collapse entirely juts very week start feeling a bit 'queer' - medial term.
I hope you are not feeling poorly Kitty.

kittylester Mon 31-Aug-20 09:13:00

Just that really. And experiences too please.

Thank you.