Gransnet forums

Health

breast pain

(15 Posts)
Gandtee Thu 24-Sep-20 09:38:42

I would like to get an appointment at the Clinic as quickly as possible as the waiting is awful.You must be feeling exactly the same travelsafar. Anxiety level is very high anyway.Im trying to to worry too much but with little success. Fingers crossed for everyone waiting for tests or results.

travelsafar Thu 24-Sep-20 08:54:19

Gandtee i rang yesterday to try and get at least a telephone consultation with my gp only to be told that won't happen till the 30th. Even when i told the receptionist what the issue was, it didn't make any difference. I must admit the pain is subsiding now but i do want it checked out for my own piece of mind...just incase. Glad you are being looked after by your surgery.

Gandtee Wed 23-Sep-20 14:39:43

I've just come back from an appointment with my GP after putting up with breast pain for a while. Thought it was muscular initially but as it hasn't improved thought it was time to get checked out. Have been referred to Breast Clinic at local hospital and now just have to wait ! Lots of positive comments by previous posters so Fingers crossed you and I Travelsafar.

travelsafar Sat 19-Sep-20 08:47:18

Still trying to get a telephone consultation with my GP. I have to ring Weds morning when she will be there to see if i am lucky enough to get one. If i don't then i will have to explain to receptionist why i need to see her urgently. Fingers crossed.

silverlining48 Wed 09-Sep-20 13:00:52

Know your lemons is a very clear explanation of breast problems. Sorry I can’t put it here but please google and share.
I also had discomfort in one breast which went on for a period so was referred last year. All was well thank goodness.
Get checked out and good luck.

BlueSky Wed 09-Sep-20 11:37:08

Paddyanne and anybody else, if something is unusual for you call the surgery straight away, even a word with the GP over the phone will help. I know by experience, if they think you need to be examined they'll see you quickly. Worth for your peace of mind at least.

paddyanne Wed 09-Sep-20 11:20:43

Sorry I didn't see this and posted a new thresad about the same problem.Maybe it can be taken down .

Luckygirl Wed 09-Sep-20 10:02:27

I have pain in both breasts - in the same place - along the sides and armpits. I have not seen anyone about it as it is probably mastalgia - ?cause. The fact that it is in both breasts makes me less concerned.

The two week system is very good and efficient, so worth getting yours checked OP.

NotSpaghetti Wed 09-Sep-20 09:40:45

MamaCaz newly inverted nipples is a known sign of a possible cancer. I agree, go at once if you have cancer symptoms!
I wasn’t implying you should ignore known cancer indicators.

MamaCaz Wed 09-Sep-20 09:36:02

I noticed a problem three weeks ago very similar to what Oops has just described (but no pain).
After keeping an eye on it for a few days, I decided it would be stupid to do nothing, and rang my surgery, fully expecting a phone consultation. Instead, I was given a face-to-face appointment that very afternoon (my first time out of our safe bubble since lockdown). The doctor doubted it was serious, but said they routinely refer people with any changes in their breasts to the hospital.
Exactly a week later, I had the hospital appt., and after an examination and mammogram i was given the all clear.

If I hadn't gone, even though I had suspected it would be just another side-effect of aging, I know that I would have always had some doubts and fear in the back of my mind, haunting me in the early hours as these things so often do,

Go as soon as you can. Either it will out to be nothing and you can stop worrying, or if, Heaven forbid, it is something more sinister, you will have the best possible chance of a successful outcome. Do it, and good luck flowers

NotSpaghetti Wed 09-Sep-20 09:23:21

I had no nipple issues btw...

NotSpaghetti Wed 09-Sep-20 09:22:38

I had this and it’s apparently often linked to back/neck problems. I found this out after lots of googling but did find it on reputable sites including the NHS. If no lumps/bumps/abnormalities then the consensus was to see if it went within 2 weeks. If not, see a GP. Mine did. Interestingly I’d had some backache ahead of the stabbing pain so it made a sort-of sense.

I’d personally do what your instinct tells you, make an appointment with the GP if it hasn’t gone after the weekend.
I do realise that others would say go immediately.

Oopsadaisy4 Wed 09-Sep-20 09:17:28

You need to see your GP, last year I had a similar problem except that on some days I noticed that my nipple was inverting, then some days it was ok.
Anyway, we had a ‘two week wait’ system in place and within 10 days I had a Mammogram and various examinations (all on the same morning at our main hospital) with a Consultant, all was fine and seems to be a natural stage of ageing.
Dr Google says that some Calcification can take place as we age.
But you need to speak to someone, 111 would be a good place to start, unless you can speak to a GP today.

Humbertbear Wed 09-Sep-20 08:59:08

Book an appointment now or ring 111.

travelsafar Wed 09-Sep-20 08:50:44

For the last week i have been having a piercing pain in one of my breasts just behind the nipple. It strikes intermittently and makes me gasps it is so sharp. I cant think of anything i have done physcially that would cause this. Obviously the first thing that comes to mind is something sinister but i thought i would ask if anyone else has had this kind of thing. I am going to book with the GP next week if it is still happening after the weekend.