Gransnet forums

Health

'Flu vac at pharmacy

(152 Posts)
Teetime Tue 15-Sep-20 11:50:37

We had our 'Flu vaccinations yesterday at Lloyds pharmacy - so easy and quick. They rang us to make an appointment as we had it with them last year and its nice to know that's done and dusted. Our GP surgery has even got stocks of the vaccination in yet. By the way its still NHS at the pharmacy so you dont pay although I think you can at some places.

Patsy70 Thu 15-Oct-20 16:25:31

We had our'flu jabs at the GP's surgery this morning, following their phone call to make an appointment for us. in addition, we had the pneumonia jab. The nurse did warn that we were likely to have a fever. My upper arm is quite painful at the site of the injections, and I feel very tired. However, I did do a couple of hours in the garden, so maybe I should have rested today. hmm

FannyCornforth Thu 08-Oct-20 09:48:32

Kato20

I went to a local football stadium to get mine. 65s and over have to go there whilst YOUNGER patients get them from their GP. Scottish logic? Seems crazy to me !

I imagine that it's because the stadium set up is far more covid safe than the GP surgery.

Blinko Thu 08-Oct-20 09:35:21

If there's room for discussion about a vaccine that's a) annual and b) been around for years, I do wonder how they're going to roll out the Covid vaccine if/when we get it. Bet that'll be some discussion thread!

Jane10 Thu 08-Oct-20 07:59:21

Our drive through vac clinic was cancelled due to bad weather. We went instead to a walk in clinic at a local GP practice. Had to check in outside with a lady who filled out our forms, queue in the rain for a bit until we could enter the building then very efficiently processed. About 8 vac desks throughout the building along the route to the fire exit. In one door, jab, keep walking and out the exit. We hardly had time to roll our sleeves back down! Very efficient.

Musicgirl Wed 07-Oct-20 21:25:12

I had mine yesterday at a pharmacy yesterday and my husband had his today. We both qualify due to having asthma and he is over sixty. Strangely enough l felt the vaccine going in, whereas l don't normally feel anything apart from the slightest tingle. Others have said the same so it may be a stronger dose this year. As others have said, a slightly sore arm for a day or two.

Purpledaffodil Tue 06-Oct-20 19:33:22

We had ours done at local medical centre. Didn’t really want to put NHS money into private enterprise.
Very difficult to get an appointment (as always?) but organisation on the day was very efficient. All rooms in the centre were occupied by health professionals doing injections, socially distanced one way system and temperature was taken before we were let in.
No particular side effects apart from expected sore arm. ?

Maggiemaybe Tue 06-Oct-20 19:23:13

Of course nobody should be put off having the jab by worries about side-effects, as they’re mild, but there have been very common and common ones connected to this year’s adjuvanted (over 65’s) vaccine.

DH and I were told of this when we were vaccinated, and were advised to take it easy for a couple of days. We weren’t expecting any problems but as it happens we both had headache and fatigue (affects 1 or more in 10, according to the official leaflet) and upset stomachs (affects 1 to 10 in 100).

Those of you who were lucky (the vast majority, obviously) shouldn’t dismiss the experiences of other posters such as nanna8 just because you had no side-effects. Neither did we in previous years.

Calendargirl Tue 06-Oct-20 18:01:11

Why don’t GP surgeries also have a supply or return for flu vaccine, the same as Boots etc?
Why do they have to waste them if not used? If pharmacies are running out, the surgeries could sell their surplus.

A lot of this ‘waste’ could be avoided surely.

And why do Boots and others have first ‘dibs’?

Our GP surgery and Boots pharmacy are on the same site. A bit more working together would help.

GagaJo Tue 06-Oct-20 17:12:43

But this year there will be no problem. People are queueing up to have the vac at the GP and chemists. There will be none wasted.

Candelle Tue 06-Oct-20 17:10:24

Vaccines have to be bought by GP surgeries, stored and are non-returnable.

Your GP surgery will buy in stock for patients known to need the vaccine. If the patient goes elsewhere, c£8.00 (and I cannot remember the exact amount but I believe it to be around this figure. Please forgive me if I am a little out) will be completely wasted.

Multiply this up by the number of patients going to a chemist (no doctor on hand if there should be a problem and possibly no good record-keeping etc.) and the income of a surgery is much reduced. This will ultimately impact on patients.

Large commercial organisations such as Boots have a contract of supply or return. They do not have to take the 'hit' if a vaccine is not used. They also got 'first dibs' on vaccines this year.

The above will affect all of us in the future.

Katek Tue 06-Oct-20 10:24:05

Our NHS trust has, in its infinite wisdom, contracted this out to a healthcare partnership. Apparently we are all to be notified to attend our local high school during the October half term where we will be seen in the games hall. Well, this ain’t going to work! It’s 10 miles away, lots of people don’t drive, the bus is every 2 hours, the bus terminus is a half hour walk from the school, a return taxi is well over £20 and if you’re lucky enough to make it to the school car park it’s a 10 minute trail round/through the building to the games hall. User friendly? I think not. Perhaps they should have consulted with their ‘client base’. Me? I’m off to Lloyd’s on Friday with Dh.

grannyrebel7 Tue 06-Oct-20 07:56:16

I have to go to a Drive- Through centre at our sports village to get mine. I can't take anyone with me, can't get out of the car, must wear short sleeves and must have the letter they sent with me with the form completed. No letter no jab! It's ok for me as I can drive and I've got a car, but what about all those people who haven't? My sister doesn't drive so she's getting her son to take her but I'm sure not everyone has someone willing to take them in these dangerous times. My DH goes to a different surgery so he just has to turn up there like normal. Another example of the world gone mad!

Calendargirl Tue 06-Oct-20 07:38:03

it was still free on the NHS (60+)

Thought it was 65 to get it free?

BlueBelle Tue 06-Oct-20 06:30:45

nanna8 the jabs at the pharmacies are the same strength as the jabs at the doctors

You can’t get flu from the jab as it’s a not live one

I go to the pharmacy as it is so much easier to pop in whilst shopping My doctor surgery requires 2 buses that only run every half hour

Suki70 Tue 06-Oct-20 05:43:40

We must have a very efficient GP surgery as DH and I had a phone call in August inviting us for flu jabs on Saturday Sept 12th. It was highly organised, appointments at 10 min intervals and patients only allowed in at alloted time, chairs outside the front door, a man directing procedings, nurse inside front door with hand sanitiser and one doctor on duty. One way system through the building so we saw parts we'd never seen before and were in and out in a few minutes so can't complain.

nanna8 Tue 06-Oct-20 04:42:33

My one this year gave me side effects. First time ever, usually I don’t get anything at all. I was told it was a strong one this time and I got a fever and aches and pains for 24 hours. Still, better than the flu I guess!

BlueBelle Mon 05-Oct-20 22:08:25

Had mine done at Boots Saturday after calling in and making an appointmenf about three weeks ago never felt the needle go in, no soreness, no after effects in fact until I saw this thread I d totally forgotten I d had it
I ve never had any after effects for any jab I ve had past or present

Kato20 Mon 05-Oct-20 21:45:37

I went to a local football stadium to get mine. 65s and over have to go there whilst YOUNGER patients get them from their GP. Scottish logic? Seems crazy to me !

tidyskatemum Sun 04-Oct-20 19:55:58

We had ours at the GP's surgery a couple of weeks ago. Got a text reminding us to book, they fitted us both into one appointment on the day we called to book. All very efficient - ring intercom on arrival, not let until until practice nurse ready for us, went in one at a time, one way system going out the back door. No probs whatsoever!

Lovetopaint037 Sun 04-Oct-20 19:34:57

Have had the flu jab every year for years. No ill effects at all.
Over the New Year of 2000 my dh and myself both got flu so thought we were in for the long haul of previous times. Not at all, we recovered within a fortnight and that we put down to the flu vaccine. Don’t be put off by scare stories.

mrswoo Sun 04-Oct-20 12:24:58

I had mine on tuesday in the pharmacy at Asda. I could have had it at my GPs but Asda contacted me first and it was still free on the NHS (60+). It was incredibly thorough- the doctor checked my medical records, forwarded by my GP, discussed my current meds and allergies. I was really impressed and will definitely use them again.

MayBee70 Sun 04-Oct-20 12:15:19

I was very tired for a couple of days after mine.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 04-Oct-20 10:27:03

Had mine yesterday, feeling jaded today, will take it easy - good excuse☺️

MayBee70 Sun 04-Oct-20 10:22:03

watermeadow

Our surgery is doing everyone in one weekend from a marquee in a car park.
No thanks. I don’t drive and it’s much further away than I can walk. I imagine standing in a queue of thousands, much like a frozen pea on a conveyor belt at Bird’s Eye.
I’ll have the jab at our pharmacy and rejoice that the fee isn’t going to our maximum-unhelpful surgery.

To be fair to your surgery doing the flu vaccine in a marquee is much safer for everyone than than it would have been to have everyone at the surgery in an enclosed space. It would have taken ages to vaccinate everyone inside the surgery especially as everyone is advised to sit down for several minutes afterwards. It would make for a very dangerous situation.

Kate1949 Sun 04-Oct-20 10:15:51

I'm 71 and have never had flu jab. I listened to daft tales about side effects etc. This year, I told myself not to be silly and booked one for next Friday at the pharmacy. They confirmed it by email.
Last night I received an email saying 'Thank you for letting us know that you wish to cancel your appointment. It is now cancelled'. I didn't cancel it!!
They are closed today and their website states that they have now run out of vaccine. I'm not a happy bunny.