Gransnet forums

Health

Endometriosis

(9 Posts)
Gingster Sun 20-Sep-20 19:58:55

Yes it certainly is a horrid thing to have, especially so young. Hopefully she will get some help and meds to ease the pain. Thanks for your messages and advice. Always good to hear of others experiences. ?

MadeInYorkshire Sun 20-Sep-20 19:48:32

My daughter was diagnosed with 'severe and extensive' endo at the age of 17 - her Gynaecologist used her photos to show other doctors that it can happen in the younger female, although 14 is very, very young poor lass sad

Amazingly, despite her notes saying that she had severe disease, trying to get any analgesia when she was admitted to hospital was an enormous fight when she was admitted to other Consultants via A&E!! Twice she discharged herself so she could come home and have some of mine!

She was advised to have her children before the age of 25 if she wanted them and this she has done. The next battle will be getting a hysterectomy at such a young age, but I do think if she can see her Consultant, he will do it .....

I have Adenomyosis, which is the same but is retained in the uterus - I had an ablation and a Mirena fitted and went through the Menopause without incident fortunately! My Mum has Endo with no symptoms, it was found incidentally and we think my other daughter may also have it as well - nasty disease angry

Missfoodlove Fri 18-Sep-20 12:32:41

Acupuncture can help enormously, the daughter of a close friend was told she was infertile at 34 due to endometriosis.

Before embarking on IVF she started a six week course of acupuncture, the results were amazing, a huge reduction in symptoms followed by a little girl conceived naturally.

NotSpaghetti Fri 18-Sep-20 11:50:56

Gingster I think it depends on your GP. My daughter at about 18 or 19 started with this problem and had immediate treatment with the NHS.
I don’t honestly think you need to see someone privately if your GP is switched on.

Auntieflo Fri 18-Sep-20 11:43:10

Oh Ginster I do sympathise with your GD.
I had endometriosis as a young mum, and was sometimes reduced to a weeping heap on the floor, with my back up against a radiator. It was finally diagnosed by a locum Dr, who prescribed something that I can only refer to as a miracle for me.
I used to say that having a baby sorted me out for months, then it built up again. But the tablets saved my sanity.

Best of luck to her and hope she gates the help she needs.

Ilovecheese Fri 18-Sep-20 11:14:11

Same for one of my daughters, diagnosed mid thirties, operation to separate internal organs, still no pregnancy. IVF on the NHS. Little girl started school last week.
The good thing for your granddaughter is that she has been diagnosed early, treatment can prevent the condition from doing too much internal damage before she wants children.

Gingster Fri 18-Sep-20 10:43:42

Ah that’s such a lovely outcome MawB2. It’s great to hear good news and their little boy is all the more precious ♥️

MawB2 Thu 17-Sep-20 21:08:55

D3 was diagnosed with this just 4 years ago in her mid 30’s , looking back she always had cripplingly painful periods but years on the pill seemed to help. About 5 years ago she came off a drug trial for Psoriatic Arthritis as she and SIL wanted to try for a baby( pregnancy had to be ruled out during the drug trial.) 4 month wash-out period followed but then sadly no pregnancy. Endometriosis was diagnosed and she had a procedure at UCLH. Their gynae care is fantastic.
It didn’t solve the problem immediately and they were on the point of a referral for IVF when she found she was pregnant! And their little boy is now 18 months old, so don’t give up hope. BTW it was all on the NHS.

Gingster Thu 17-Sep-20 18:47:43

Today my Gd aged 14 has been diagnosed with endometriosis. She has had extremely painful periods for the last year and was once taken to hospital by ambulance. Painkillers were given but no diagnosis. Today she attended a private hospital and they diagnosed the probability of endometriosis. Next Friday she will have a scan in Harley Street with a top gynocologist. What happens if you dont have private medical care or the money to pay. ? Fobbed off with paracetamol. This condition can lead to infertility and the painful periods causes so much time off school.