Gransnet forums

Health

Glaucoma

(4 Posts)
Hollyhock1 Fri 25-Sep-20 21:09:11

I took my mum to the local NHS hospital today as she's had a recent glaucoma diagnosis by her optician and now a consultant. She had many tests over a two hour appointment and has been given eye drops to reduce the eye pressure. She's also worryingly been referred for an MRI scan of the eye region, brain,etc. This has really worried her and she's not really sure what it's for (I wasn't allowed into the clinic room due to Covid restrictions). I just wonder if an MRI is standard protocol in glaucoma diagnosis? Many thanks for any advice of similar diagnoses.

B9exchange Sat 26-Sep-20 14:25:56

Not sure that it is standard, my DH has glaucoma, and Fuch's syndrome, but never has an MRI been suggested. Have they seen something at the back of the eye they think it is wise to check out? Try not to worry too much (useless advice, of course you will!) flowers

BlueSky Sat 26-Sep-20 14:40:29

Hi Hollyhock no direct experience but I didn’t want to read and go. If you google it it does say a MRI is often done to check for other eye conditions, so I don’t think it’s anything particularly worrying just in your mum’s case. You could also have a word with the hospital to reassure her.

Hollyhock1 Sat 26-Sep-20 21:18:15

Thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated. I didn't think it was the standard investigation for glaucoma, it's a worry. She's been poorly for a few months, obviously hasn't been able to see her GP as they're still limiting access. She's seemed to go down hill since July after what she thought was a bout of labyrinthitis which took 2 months to settle. She's very thin and frail, even though she's only 75. We shall just have to wait and see what, if anything, the MRI shows. Once again, many thanks for your replies.