Gransnet forums


Present climate of covid

(12 Posts)
Fuchsiarose Mon 28-Sep-20 14:37:27

Would you go ahead with an operation. If the hospital sent all sorts of doom in a letter to you. Risk of blood clots, covid, mrsa, and even death afterwards. It's an amputation. Should I wait till next year?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 28-Sep-20 14:52:37

I think that that is something none if us could or should answer tbh.

This has to be between you and your doctors.

Teetime Mon 28-Sep-20 14:55:03

I would get it done and over with. Hospitals are being extra careful most of the other risks are always present when having surgery. Get it over with I would.

SueDonim Mon 28-Sep-20 15:01:52

Three of those four issues would still be there next year and indeed the fourth may well be, too. I’d get it done now, if that were me. Hospitals are being very cautious.

Grandma70s Mon 28-Sep-20 15:07:41

I think hospitals have to list all possible complications, however unlikely. It may be a legal necessity. Speak to your doctor and see what he/she says about it.

paddyanne Mon 28-Sep-20 15:08:07

My neighbour had an amputation recently,during lockdown.I see he's upright and walking again with a stick ,he's not a young man.Speak to your consultant and find out all the pros and cons in your case and then make an informed decision.Good luck with it ,sometimes a difficult choice isn't as difficult when you know all the answers you've been worrying about .

Grannynannywanny Mon 28-Sep-20 15:11:28

Fuchsiarose even if you’d had your surgery last year all of those very unlikely but possible risks, apart from covid, would have been mentioned to you. A bit like reading the leaflet inside a packet of tablets, every possible side effect is mentioned no matter how rare. Only you can decide but if it was me I wouldn’t postpone.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

nanaK54 Mon 28-Sep-20 15:54:59

Fuchsiarose sorry to read that you need an operation.
My DH had lung surgery last week, he was so grateful to get this opportunity as we are both fairly certain that 'shielding' will be re-introduced before long
I wish you well flowers

EllanVannin Mon 28-Sep-20 16:08:17

All operations carry a risk at the best of times which is why you have to sign on the dotted line. No matter how big or small.

Saying that, if it has to be done asap then I'd go ahead at this stage rather than live with discomfort. Best wishes.

BlueSky Mon 28-Sep-20 16:16:36

As Grandma70 says hospitals must disclosed all possible complications however unlikely, similar to listing the possible side effects on medication leaflets.
As others have said even without Covid, most would still be there. If they are offering I would say they feel it’s a good time as ever. All best to you flowers

NotTooOld Mon 28-Sep-20 16:27:07

As others have said, hospitals must tell you everything that could possibly happen. This doesn't mean that it will, of course, and in the vast majority of cases it won't. Years ago patients were not given these dire warnings and perhaps innocence was bliss! Now, hospitals are worried about litigation in the rare likelihood that something goes wrong, so they need to cover themselves. I wouldn't let that stop me, to be honest, although I might think twice due to the covid situation. Whatever you decide, I hope it goes well.

DiscoDancer1975 Mon 28-Sep-20 16:46:56

Three out of the four risks are there for any operation. If it were me, I would weigh up the pros and cons of leaving it until next year let’s say, but that would be based on how urgent it was, and only you know that. The fact it’s an amputation kind of suggests sooner rather than later. Covid may be around for several years too. It’s probably only something you can decide. Hope it goes well for you whatever you decide.