Gransnet forums

Health

Anyone had surgery recently?

(15 Posts)
Furret Sat 03-Oct-20 09:16:35

I’m due to have surgery on November 5th. This should have happened in March and was put off due to Covid.

I have to self-isolate from 22nd October and have a Covid test a few days before surgery. I’ve never had a general anaesthetic in my life and the only time I’ve ever spent in hospital was when I had the children - almost 50 years ago.

Naturally I’m a bit unsure of what to expect and would like to hear from others who have had a recent experience.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 03-Oct-20 09:46:45

Not recent, but the actual operation is not nearly so scary as you might think, and because there is no time between going unconscious to conscious it is over in a second. The staff are so professional and experienced that somehow I was able to relax and just go with the flow.

It is the recovery that needs concentrating on.

Best of luck ?

Greyduster Sat 03-Oct-20 09:59:49

I had surgery in February and like you it was my first time in hospital for many years. As WW2 says, the theatre staff are experienced at putting people at their ease and it was over in no time. The anaesthetist said “Tell me about this fishing you do.” I said “Well.....” and I don’t remember anything else until I woke up (he had a lucky escape)! Try not to worry. You’ll be absolutely fine, I’m sure!

Froglady Sat 03-Oct-20 10:04:38

MY friend had an hip replacement on Friday and everything seems to be going all right. She is about 73 and is due home on Monday or Tuesday. There's just the two of them, husband and wife, and she'll presumably have to sleep downstairs until she can manage the stairs. She was supposed to be having the surgery earlier on this year and then Covid happened.

Froglady Sat 03-Oct-20 10:08:08

I remember the first time I had a general anaesthetic many years ago and being really scared about it but nothing went wrong and I've since had about 16 so it feels like water off a duck's back when I have one now. The staff will take very good care and they are used to dealing with worried patients. Good Luck with it all.

silverlining48 Sat 03-Oct-20 10:16:32

I had my first operation and overnight stay in hospital last March since having children in the 70s . The General anaesthetic was fine, I didn’t feel a thing.
Try not to worry Furret, it will be fine and they won’t keep you in any longer than absolutely necessary. Unlike when we had our children, I had 10 days then. A rest and real treat.
Hope it all goes well. Good luck.

Furret Sat 03-Oct-20 10:38:49

Thank you, that’s reassuring. Fingers crossed.

silver I was in 2 days with my first (71) and only overnight with second (72)

silverlining48 Sat 03-Oct-20 10:44:09

Wow, Mine were born mid 70s and everyone stayed that long. You woz robbed Furret. smile

MellowYellow Sat 03-Oct-20 10:45:50

I had a knee replaced pre-Covid. I asked the anaesthetist to put my specs nearby so I could grab them the moment I woke up in the recovery room, as I'm so short-sighted. To my surprise I awoke wearing them! It moved me so much to think he had taken care over such a small thing. You will be in good hands. (PS the op was totally successful.)

Charleygirl5 Sat 03-Oct-20 10:51:38

I had my knee replaced last year but that was my third GA withuin a few years. I agreed to have a spinal anaesthetic- I did not feel a thing and the next I knew it was all over.

The hard part was the recovery. You will be fine.

BlueSky Sat 03-Oct-20 10:54:27

My only experience of general anaesthetic was when I had a c section in the’70s. Luckily it was an emergency so I had no time to think about it beforehand. As others said I remember a nurse trying to wake me up and I was thinking I hadn’t been asleep yet! All the best Furret!

Dottydots Sat 03-Oct-20 11:38:29

I had an operation recently and had a general anaesthetic.
I woke up in bed, wondering when they were going to call me for the operation, when I touched my face and felt a thick dressing on it. I realised then that the operation had taken place and I was in the recovery ward. I had to laugh!

Grannybags Sat 03-Oct-20 12:27:51

My sister fell over a couple of weeks ago and broke her hip.

She didn't have general anaesthetic just epidural. She was tested for covid when she arrived and regularly after that.

After about a week the whole ward was moved so the ward she was in could be deep cleaned. Only 4 to a ward instead of 6. Only allowed one visitor for an hour every 24 hours, which had to be booked in advance.

SueD Sat 03-Oct-20 12:45:16

I had open heart surgery in March on the first day of lockdown here in Ireland. I had five hoyrs notice and was admitted to the private hospital instead of the public one
My husband was barred from entering and i bafely got to kiss him goodbye. Surgery was very early the next morning and i barely had time to get anxious or worry. I can vaguely remember bding in ICU where i spdnt two days and thse next few were a bjt of a blur. My first assisted shower was exhausting but i made it home on day 11. I was a bit of an emotional wreck by that time but graduallt picked up and got stronger both physically and emotionally. Six months out and I'm now expecting to have a total knee replacementbut will opt for spinal block as it is too soon after the last general and recobery should be qicker

Furret Sat 03-Oct-20 21:51:51

Thank you all your replies.