Gransnet forums

Health

Old People’s Odour

(77 Posts)
Granless Wed 07-Oct-20 11:54:42

Can anyone offer advice? I am a bit desperate. It seems that I have developed the ‘old people smell’ put politely odour ... (Nonenal). It’s not a lack of soap and water or cleanliness generally ... and am embarrassed. I dread standing near anybody ... social distancing has its benefits! I am booked in to the Opticians and Hygienist soon, oh dear ☺️

Chewbacca Sat 10-Oct-20 10:24:22

Ahhh Granless, I'm glad you're feeling better about it and reassured that everything is ok. You didn't rattle any cages, you opened up a good topic of discussion! smile

Calendargirl Sat 10-Oct-20 10:22:28

I’m pleased if it’s sorted Granless, must be worrying if you think you smell.

Granless Sat 10-Oct-20 10:17:10

It seems I’ve over-reacted and thank you all for your input. My excuse is that I was very stressed to think I smelled so bad due to age but it turns out not ... so I apologise if I rattled cages. AGAA4 - you got it right.

Elrel Fri 09-Oct-20 13:52:55

Hetty58. Oh dear, I thought the fish thing was normal, like asparagus. What is the illness?

NotSpaghetti Fri 09-Oct-20 12:47:08

Fingers crossed!

Granless Fri 09-Oct-20 11:37:16

Update: video call with GP thinks it might be a sinus infection - my symptoms fit the bill. Prescription prescribed. God, I hope she’s right. Will let you know.

NotSpaghetti Fri 09-Oct-20 09:12:24

Teetime you are probably one of the lucky people who can't smell it.

Granless Fri 09-Oct-20 06:54:10

Good morning - I’ve been up since 5am with this dam thing.
JenniferEccles The odour is definitely eminating from me ?. Windows always open. Cook with fan always on.
Chewbacca I wouldn’t think it’s clothes dried indoors. Mine are dried inside when can’t peg out and have done for years.
Txquiltz I’ll look into teatree products.
Thank you all but I do think this is the ‘nonenal’ phenomenon which started about 5 weeks ago.
Very depressing, as it seems that I might have it forever. The best way to describe it is “ it’s like smelling a sweetish chemical on the skin, it gets the back of the throat and tip of tongue also”. Sounds lovely doesn’t it.

Txquiltz Thu 08-Oct-20 23:05:02

A lotion containing tea tree oil is very helpful. I once heard a doctor mention "sub-clinical candidiasis" in elderly or mobility limited persons. They don't have noticeable rashes or very obvious outer symptoms, but do have a musty odor. Tea tree oil apparently relieved this quickly.

Chewbacca Thu 08-Oct-20 23:04:36

This may absolutely not apply to you OP but my ex definitely has an old person's smell about him and I've put it down to the fact that when he's done his clothes washing, he dries them indoors, never on a line outside or in a tumble drier and so they always smell "musty".

JenniferEccles Thu 08-Oct-20 22:54:59

Do you notice the smell when you are out or only in your house?

I’m wondering if it could be coming from maybe soft furnishings or carpets which haven’t been cleaned for a while

Do you open your windows regularly? Cooking smells can linger in homes where the windows aren’t open.

It surprises me how many people seem reluctant to give their homes a regular airing.

Granless Thu 08-Oct-20 16:28:29

Some people seem to be having a chuckle at my expense ... I wouldn’t wish this on my worst enemy.
Thank you Ailsa43 for your constructive input here. I already do what has been suggested but the odour penetrates through daily clean clothes. It seems I must find a lotion/cream that replenishes antioxidation.
Hmmmm. You Teetime will know all about antioxidation. H

MissAdventure Thu 08-Oct-20 15:53:28

Oh, is that all, Teetime? wink

Teetime Thu 08-Oct-20 14:56:51

granless my 'blinkered opinion' came from over 35 years of nursing older people in hospitals, the community and nursing/residential homes, several nursing qualifications, a science degree and a Masters In Nursing. What an objectionable person you are.

Ailsa43 Thu 08-Oct-20 13:41:52

While we’re just beginning to hear nonenal discussed in the west, it’s not news in the east. “The Japanese have an open and healthy attitude towards aging odor, which they refer to as kareisyu,” says Koko Hayashi, founder of skin care brand Mirai Clinical. The Sapporo, Japan-based company claims to dissolve nonenal with naturally antiseptic persimmon extract (a tannin) and antioxidant green tea, in products ranging from deodorizing soap to purifying body washes, serums and spritzers. According to Hayashi, the Japanese have long used persimmon for its deodorant properties.

“I don’t know if using persimmon products will make a difference over other deodorizers, but I don’t object to giving it a try,” says New York dermatologist, Doris Day, MD, who adds that other changes in maturing skin may also contribute to the smell of seniority. “As we age, cells may not shed the way they should, and the thicker skin can give off a smell of keratin,” she says, of the sulphurous odour many of us have encountered at its worst while accidentally burning hair with a blow-dryer.

Fortunately, there are things you can do to combat elderly odour. Day recommends wearing cotton clothing, bathing often, exfoliating skin regularly, and using rich moisturisers to retain more water in cells. Nonenal may stick to shirt collars and pillowcases, so keep clothes and linens fresh. Smelling like an old person doesn’t have to be your fate, even if you have an affinity for chintz and crystal candy dishes.

www.livinghealthy.com/articles/do-you-smell-old

Lucca Thu 08-Oct-20 12:58:56

Glorybee

Lucca , Juliet27 , I’ve noticed this, I’ve put it down to the fact that I sleep on my right side for some of the night, never on my left, so the right side will be more susceptible to becoming hot and will sweat more as it’s not as ‘free’ as my left arm. Maybe?

And my issue is with my left and I sleep on my left...interesting!

MissAdventure Thu 08-Oct-20 12:46:44

It's apparently only a percentage of people that develop "it".

MamaCaz Thu 08-Oct-20 12:41:55

If there is such a smell (and I personally have no idea), isn't it possible that not everyone can smell it, in the same way that not everyone can smell the distinctive odour that comes from urine after eating asparagus?

I'm just trying to say that just because some people, health professionals or not, can't smell something, that doesn't necessarily mean that it doesn't exist.

Sorry OP, I know that is of no help to you, but I just felt it needed pointing out anyway.

felice Thu 08-Oct-20 12:30:52

Visiting my Mother once a few years ago, there was a very strong quite unpleasant smell coming from her.
She was quite fanatical about all type of cleanliness.
She was not even going shopping as my DS1 had told her all about how much she smelled.
I took her to the Doctor and it came out that she was washing herself in Savlon, as well as soap.
Using about half a bottle in the bath, daily. The Doc persuaded her to stop and within about a month she was back to normal.

Glorybee Thu 08-Oct-20 11:22:20

Lucca , Juliet27 , I’ve noticed this, I’ve put it down to the fact that I sleep on my right side for some of the night, never on my left, so the right side will be more susceptible to becoming hot and will sweat more as it’s not as ‘free’ as my left arm. Maybe?

annodomini Thu 08-Oct-20 10:55:44

One thing that does have an unpleasant odour is a fungal infection. I had a badly blocked sinus and could smell a nasty odour, but not breathe or blow my nose. Antibiotics had no effect. When the surgeon operated to clear it, it turned out to be a 'fungal ball'. Fungal rashes are all too common and can be treated with Canesten, available over the counter.

Granless Thu 08-Oct-20 10:21:35

Thank you again NotSpaghetti and Lisagran.
This ‘odour’ is really impacting on me ... couldn’t sleep last night because of it. Watch this space, I might come back.

honeyrose Wed 07-Oct-20 23:04:32

I remember 3 of 4 years ago that I seemed to have developed an odour that lingered and followed me around. It wasn’t particularly pleasant and I was bothered that others would notice it. No-one ever said and I certainly didn’t ask. I shower every day and wear clean clothes. It was a kind of stale smell (stale cake?). I think it was coming from my shoes/foot odour! I’m retired now and I don’t have that smell anymore, not that I’m suggesting there’s a connection. I think I was wearing shoes to work which, although still perfectly wearable, got a bit smelly inside. Sounds odd I know, but this is what I put it down to, although i’m not sure something else was going on. I may never know.

Hetty58 Wed 07-Oct-20 23:00:02

I'm vegan and I find that meat and dairy consumers smell strongly. Of course, onions, garlic and spices are very detectable too.

There is an illness where, if a person eats fish - they smell like fish. Certain medical conditions like diabetes or cancer change a person's smell.

Old person odour/Nonenal is a fact - why do some deny it?

Callistemon Wed 07-Oct-20 22:48:45

Mmm lovely!
?