Gransnet forums

Health

Restless Legs

(94 Posts)
Wendyg Thu 08-Oct-20 20:28:58

Does anyone else suffer from Restless Legs? Mine are driving me mad particularly at night. I just cant get over to sleep. I take magnesium and have tried baths before bed and massaging my legs but they just want to keep moving when I am so tired. Any ideas to help calm them will be gratefully appreciated. It's like having tourette's in your legs.

SusieFlo Fri 09-Oct-20 10:00:15

I get it occasionally in the evening after a shower but thankfully not in bed. I’ve heard tonic water is good (without the gin?) Also can be a sign of dehydration. I find bedsocks the most helpful though. Moisturiser on my dry legs makes it worse!!

TonysBride Fri 09-Oct-20 10:14:45

Morning WendyG I have restless legs (and feet believe it or not). It's a bloody nuisance. I find that breathing in and out slowly and saying "shhhhhhh" as I breathe out helps to relax me. I then (while I'm still taking deep breaths in and out) go through a list of animals from A to Z. It's not as easy as it sounds, but it does take your mind off your legs and it really does help you relax. I usually take two deep breaths before I move on to the next animal. It doesn't always work, but if nothing else it does help to relax and so seems to "calm" my legs and feet. Good luck, you have my sympathy x

Lilypops Fri 09-Oct-20 10:16:59

Oh how I sympathise Wendyg, I get restless legs almost every night, I can almost time when it starts. Which is about 9.40 pm. Watching tv , it continues in bed and can keep me awake most of the night,
I get up ,go down make a cuppa and take a couple of Paracetamol , eventually it does ease off
I didn’t find the Rhus Tox helped me unfortunately, I would be interested if anyone had the cure ,

TerryM Fri 09-Oct-20 10:19:56

I also take magniesm and have the spray ready for bad nights. It does seem to work for me

JdotJ Fri 09-Oct-20 10:21:09

Is it Quinine that's recommended? Maybe try drinking tonic water as nothing else has helped.

Samaromo Fri 09-Oct-20 10:21:59

I started getting restless legs very suddenly late last year. I really didn't want to take medication so researched online for other things that would help. For several months now I have been eating almonds and brazils every day gradually reducing the dose as much as I can as I hate both nuts. But it does work, it is very rare that I have any problems now and is mild when it does happen. I also try to eat bananas regularly too.

Hellis Fri 09-Oct-20 10:27:22

It's interesting to read some of the remedies suggested here. My daughter is only 30 and suffers everyday from restless legs. Her GP has put her on meds usually prescribed for Parkinson's but she is concerned about the side effects. I'll show her these posts, maybe she should try some of these suggestions

BusterTank Fri 09-Oct-20 10:27:33

Have you tried a box bar of lavender soap under your bottom sheet by your feet at night . Also epsom salts baths .

Bazza Fri 09-Oct-20 10:30:05

A friend of mine has suffered with restless legs for years, she often has to resort to pacing around for hours. She has a prescription drug which helps a bit, but recently her daughter bought her cannabis oil which you spray under your tongue, and she can’t believe after one spray she had the best sleep. A good quality one is quite expensive, surely worth a try if you suffer.

Bijou Fri 09-Oct-20 10:36:22

I have found that tonic water is good for preventing cramp as well.

Lucy127 Fri 09-Oct-20 10:37:12

Yes I suffer from this too. It’s hell.
I have an oscillating plate and that does help. The vibrations also help my back.
I got my ‘wobble board’ from Amazon. I would not be without it.
Ask your GP to look at any meds you are taking. Sometimes this complaint can be side effect of certain meds and/or mix of meds. Good luck.

RosesAreRed21 Fri 09-Oct-20 10:39:33

I feel for you as my husband suffers with it. It gets particularly bad on a Friday or Saturday night when he has had a particularly busy week at work where he is mainly on his feet

I have heard that Emmon Holmes suffers with it and he swears by eating a banana before bedtime.

SuziTiv Fri 09-Oct-20 10:39:34

I have found putting both feet in a bowl of cold water that reaches up over the ankles really helpful. Seems to relax my legs - hope that helps!

nannycake Fri 09-Oct-20 10:42:06

I too suffer from it and it can be really debilitating until one of the GP’s suggested Spatone a natural source of iron. It is believed that lack of iron can cause restless legs so I had a blood test but was found to be on the margin. The Spatone is a supplement you can buy from Amazon and Waitrose. It’s certainly worth trying this before going down the strong medication route. I occasionally get mild attacks of restless less but do not have to get up as sleep overcomes me.

Rmegan Fri 09-Oct-20 11:02:57

Restless legs can be a sign of other issues, believe I know. Can I ask if you have tenderness in any other parts of your body especially near a joint or back of your neck.

catherine123 Fri 09-Oct-20 11:04:33

Its horrible only thing that helps me is getting out of bed and walking around i dont suffer as much now but i hope it goes soon take care.

MadeInYorkshire Fri 09-Oct-20 11:07:19

Ugh! I have suffered with this a lot, it is awful, and hard to explain exactly what it feels like!

Mine has been much much better since I started taking Magnesium Supplements and Codeine, as suggested by my GP, touch wood not had a session for months now!

Of course Codeine has it's other effects on some people but I can tolerate it very well.

These are the supplements I use

amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07QS8M6W4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1]]

Gwenisgreat1 Fri 09-Oct-20 11:17:25

I get Rutin from Holland and Barrett - the lower dose. My DH takes 3 in the evening and restless legs no more!! You have to experiment with the dose.

On the other hand cramp is my enemy!! Any ideas folks?

Blossoming Fri 09-Oct-20 11:20:09

I get it when I don’t drink enough water. I try to stay hydrated and make sure I exercise my legs enough to maintain good circulation. Once it starts massaging them with body lotion seems to help,

crazyH Fri 09-Oct-20 11:26:49

Half a glass of Tonic water every night for 6 months sorted my problem. I still take it occasionally.

Saggi Fri 09-Oct-20 11:33:23

I’m sorry you’re suffering lack of sleep ....I know exactly what that’s like. I don’t have it but my husband does , he’s been 20 years now.... I’ve moved out of our bedroom for my own sanity( I still work)....he sleeps like a stone for 9 hours. I don’t know the answer, but surely a visit to your docs might be an idea!

Blue66 Fri 09-Oct-20 11:47:14

I get this quite often and usually it is because my iron levels are down. Try talking to your dr or start taking iron supplements.

blueberry1 Fri 09-Oct-20 11:49:15

A lady I knew swore by corks under the mattress! Have suffered restless legs in the past but never tried any remedies.

LauraNorder Fri 09-Oct-20 11:59:35

I have tried every single one of the above remedies to no avail. Lately my legs have been much worse. Last Friday I cooked chips for the first time in years and put lots of salt on them, (we cut down on salt years ago as Mr Norder suffered high blood pressure). I slept so well that night. Since then I have been putting a tequila slammer amount of salt on the back of my hand, big lick, glass of water, hey presto.
This has been working for a week now.
Maybe worth a try as long as your blood pressure is okay. No tequila is involved by the way.

Yvon Fri 09-Oct-20 12:30:58

Iron tablets work for me. Just buy them from the supermarket