Gransnet forums

Health

Knees!

(16 Posts)
Stiff Fri 23-Oct-20 14:17:13

I’m not sure how to reply to everyone (I started the thread re knees) but I just want to say thank you to everyone who replied. Every single comment has been a help to me so thank you everyone. As some of the comments on here have said, I could be waiting two years or longer so I think I will get the ball rolling. I was told a few years back I was very close to bone on bone so maybe in two years I will be.
Thanks everyone.

Chewbacca Wed 21-Oct-20 22:32:46

^You will not be put on a list until it is bone on bone which is grade 4 and if tyou can walk 2* miles I doubt if you are there yet.

That's exactly what the consultant told me last week Charleygirl. He showed me the x rays and said that he could see "a little bit of space between the bones; not quite bone on bone yet so you're probably good for another year or 2". I'd have preferred it if he'd put me on the waiting list now because by the time I got to the top of the list, I'd be meeting their criteria.

Charleygirl5 Wed 21-Oct-20 21:06:48

You will not be put on a list until it si bone on bons which is grade 4 and if tyou can walk 2 miles I doubt if you are there yet.

I suggest that you do some research and find an NHS knee orthopaedic surgeon yourself. Some I would not have clip my toe nails!

biba70 Wed 21-Oct-20 19:12:10

He

Jane10 Wed 21-Oct-20 19:05:44

Good. Glad she's OK.

biba70 Wed 21-Oct-20 19:00:28

champion

Jane10 Wed 21-Oct-20 18:51:03

How is Minou biba70?

biba70 Wed 21-Oct-20 14:07:25

2 replacements, one 3 years ago, one 2 years ago. Because of severe damage in a car accident nearly 50 years ago. Do NOT wait - get the right one done asap. One word of advice from me- get it down late winter- so you have the whole year ahead getting over it and stronger, without the worry of slipping etc. Psychologically, Spring is perfect time too.

A lot of disagreement on GN about physio. I am 100% pro physio and getting active asap and working hard to get back to full strength. Others disagree. That is life.

Just got down s snow capped mountain on rocky very irregular path, without sticks. Cna can't wait for a full ski season soon- to celebrate my 70th BD.

parkersheen Wed 21-Oct-20 14:02:13

I had arthritis in both my knees. Doctor referred me to hospital and they took x-rays. This is what really determines how bad shape your knees are in. My x-rays showed that the cartilage in both knees was almost completely worn away - walking with bone rubbing on bone, hence the pain - and they asked which knee I wanted done first! I had my right knee done about 18 months ago and I only waited a few months to have it done - maybe our area waiting time was luckier than others. I won't lie - the first few weeks post op is pretty grim, but it is important to take the painkillers and do the physio. Waiting times are only getting longer and unfortunately your knees will only get worse so I would get on the list quick if I were you Stiff

Susiewong65 Mon 19-Oct-20 16:29:40

Definitely get the ball rolling now.
The doctor will give you all sorts to keep you going but at the end of the day if your joints are worn out then they will need replacing.
It can take a couple of years from the experience
I’ve had with other people unless you can afford to go private then they ask you when you’d like it done!
Living with the pain is grim and it will only get worse, good luck.

allium Mon 19-Oct-20 16:23:08

I had my right one done 18 months ago. Thankfully too out the other side, no problems I'm as good as new and very pleased with it. I'm not sure about waiting lists probably varies from area to area and covid has probably complicated things a bit. I could only walk about 50m, and very painful, so I went private and it was done pretty quickly. Now able to enjoy lovely long walks again. Good luck, its well worth doing some research and getting a referral.

AGAA4 Mon 19-Oct-20 16:01:22

My neighbour waited 2 years but was worth it as she is now out and about pain free. It would be worth getting on the list.

FlexibleFriend Mon 19-Oct-20 15:57:00

Nothing to stop you asking and getting the ball rolling.

Chewbacca Mon 19-Oct-20 12:03:20

I'd advise starting the process sooner rather than later stiff; the waiting list for TKR, even before COVID restrictions, was 2 years in my area. Heaven knows what it is now. But there are currently 4.2 million people waiting for TKR and hip replacement surgery so it may take a while to be seen.

Jane10 Mon 19-Oct-20 11:48:51

Check out the other threads on this topic. I've had 2 replacements now and am happily out the other side and glad I had them done. Try completing the Oxford knee scale. If the results indicate further assessment take that along to the GP.

Stiff Mon 19-Oct-20 11:20:38

Has anyone had a knee replacement and if so, how did it go?
I’ve always been quite active and love walking....usually. Now my knees are playing up, in particular my right knee which has been bad now for several years however, I can still walk a mile or two albeit in relative discomfort. I’m in turmoil. Do I ask to be referred for a knee replacement or do I carry on? I don’t even know if they would consider me for one given I’m still able to walk. It would be good to hear from others about their experiences.