Gransnet forums

Health

Long Covid

(20 Posts)
Lazyriver Wed 21-Oct-20 13:48:44

My DD aged 36 had Covid in March, before lockdown and testing. She was quite poorly with breathing problems that have persisted. She now has chronic fatigue, itchy skin, achy joints, sore eyes plus a few more that I can't list.
As a self employed care provider and single parent, this is all a real worry. GP has referred her for a chest X ray and prescribed anti depressants, but can't seem to offer any other solutions.
I would say it's affected her central nervous system judging by some similarities to fibromyalgia.
Has anyone else come across this please?

FannyCornforth Wed 21-Oct-20 14:41:39

Hello, I'm sorry to hear this about your daughter.
I recommend that you look at the coronavirus board on Mumsnet as they get much more traffic than Gransnet (GN is better though !)
There are many discussions on long covid over there.

EllanVannin Wed 21-Oct-20 14:58:22

I can well understand this. I swear I had this virus late December last year into January/February of this year---lasting until June before I felt human.

Never in my life have I suffered with my chest/lungs and routine x-rays over the years have shown them to be clear but my lungs certainly don't feel as good since before I took ill.
They feel congested at times. Now whether it's because I haven't been as out and about as I would normally be and the lack of movement is the effect, I don't know but I wouldn't mind betting they don't show up as good as they once were or that my blood oxygen isn't at level 98% as it's been for years.

Davidhs Wed 21-Oct-20 17:12:19

Similar with me, last March quite ill for 3 weeks then took 3 months for the cough to go, still have a funny sense of smell and itchy eyes. OH just had a cough for 2 days, so it’s random who gets ill.
I’m fairly relaxed because I will have some immunity BUT I’m not going to test that by putting myself in a high risk situation

Lazyriver Wed 21-Oct-20 17:31:32

Thank you people, I will have a look on Mumsnet.
I have heard that the NHS are setting up long Covid centres, but doubt we will get one in the South West.
My grandson aged 13 had it quite badly for a few days and a recent cold went straight to a nasty cough. My granddaughter, 11 at the time, had no symptoms.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 21-Oct-20 17:34:10

Apparently those most likely to suffer from long covid are plump women over 50.

MissAdventure Wed 21-Oct-20 18:07:19

I'm a plump over 50 woman, and I have been really, really struggling for quite a while with breathlessness, sore eyes, hair thinning, swollen ankles and legs, fatigue..(I could go on!)

I have been tested for everything under the sun, and nothing is wrong apart from my weight.

EllanVannin Wed 21-Oct-20 18:23:02

I'm over 50 and slim.
I could hardly draw breath to cough so mixed a concoction of black rum, honey, lemon and a drop of hot water with crushed paracetamol in it because my throat was like glass and I couldn't swallow anything. Never had a cough like it in my 80 years, well 79 at the time.

craftyone Wed 21-Oct-20 18:28:45

yes long covid is fact and it often manifests in people who have had a mild dose of what we know as covid, also younger fit people are getting it eg a 38 year old fitness instructor know to dd and a female in my extended family, no weight issues, 42, developed clots and thick blood 28 days after a positive test. Often caused by cytokine storm caused by covid virus, makes the body immune system attack itself. Very nasty virus

MissAdventure Wed 21-Oct-20 18:29:17

I haven't had a cough, and haven't been tested for covid.
I was quite poorly just before Christmas last year. Too long ago, according to my doc, because his only lasted 6 weeks.

rocketstop Wed 21-Oct-20 18:29:21

Hello Lazy river, husband and I both mid to late fifties tested positive in Early May. We have long covid and have had a;ll the symptoms you have listed and many more, over five months later and we still suffer. Husband has only just gone back to work and is finding it a terrible struggle due to fatigue.
I lost smell and taste for two months, we both had horrendous joint pains, itches, palpitations, struggling to breathe, compressed chest, I have affected vision and sore eyes, dizziness, headaches skin complaints, brain fog, and much more, it has been and is terrible. I'm not sure what the clinics can do except monitor people and maybe counsel them as there aren't any treatments yet. It does create the fibromyualgia type situation, please tell her she is not alone.
Happy to help with any questions if you want to PM me.

MissAdventure Wed 21-Oct-20 18:33:33

I seem to have joint and muscle pains.
Walking to the shop reduces me to tears regularly.

EllanVannin Wed 21-Oct-20 18:38:23

MissA, that's awful.

SueDonim Wed 21-Oct-20 18:39:03

A friend is suffering badly from Long Covid. She now has to use a wheelchair to go out as she doesn’t have the strength to walk outside the house. She thinks she had Covid back in March, although wasn’t able to get tested then. She was v poorly, though, and personally, I think she should have been in hospital, her breathing was so laboured.

Her only risk factor is being a woman. She’s under 50, not overweight, no other illnesses, although she did have ME as a teenager.

MissAdventure Wed 21-Oct-20 18:41:43

Ellan I feel guilty now, as I don't know if I have even had it!
You know what, though, it's such a relief to tell everyone how rotten I've been feeling lately.

Eloethan Wed 21-Oct-20 19:15:10

Is she sure it's the remnants of Covid? Could it be something else that needs to be investigated?

EllanVannin Wed 21-Oct-20 20:37:32

I'm all for speaking out MissA.
No need to feel guilty at all, nobody can help being unwell.

MayBee70 Wed 21-Oct-20 20:43:20

I don't usually watch This Morning but caught a bit of it this morning and Dr Chris Steele recommended CoEnzyme Q10 and vitamin B for anyone suffering from long covid. Plus, of course, as much rest as possible. I've always had a lot of time for Dr Chris Steele.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 21-Oct-20 21:37:33

Sorry to hear how s**t you have felt MissA one of our AC had an “0” birthday in February, 18 of us went for dinner 10 felt really rough and it took many many weeks for some to feel anywhere near normal.

Hope you are feeling better now, feel a coffee catch up overdue ☕️

humptydumpty Wed 21-Oct-20 21:41:17

I heard on the radio today that it seems more likely in people who have had several symptoms in the original Covid illness.