Gransnet forums

Health

Carpel Tunnel

(11 Posts)
Franbern Thu 29-Oct-20 15:10:14

Sure this has been discussed before, but cannot find anything on here.
In the last few weeks I have had my sleep disturbed most nights by tingling - pins and needles in my fingers. Stops me getting to sleep, and will wake me when it gets bad.

My fingers feel swollen (but do not look it - I do have fat stumpy fingers),

I have not, yet, troubled my GP, but am certain it is Carpel Tunnel. Definitely helps when I wear a good wrist support at night. Just strange the way it has come on so suddenly and quite badly.
I am nearly 80yrs of age, take bp tabs daily (have done for many years) along with thyroxine and Adcal D3and Alendronic tabs. The last for Ostioperosis, for which I have never had a deka scan to confirm, but assumed by doctors after I had a stress fracture of my spine last year.
My oximeter readings are always low, but Gp does not seem concerned about that.
Just wondered if other people with this condition have found any good therapies to help.

ExD Thu 29-Oct-20 15:22:32

Its worth mentioning it again.
I am currently on the waiting list for surgery for this problem (the symptoms you describe are classic) so get yourself to your Gp's and see a practise nurse (quicker than your doc) and start the process because you are likely to have to wait a long time.
I've been complaining for 3 years - first I had to try wrist braces at night (they do help a little) then a steroid injection, and now waiting, waiting, waiting.
I cannot help thinking my age (81) is agin me!
Its a painful affliction - but not life threatening so you won't be top priority even though it makes everyday life difficult.
Good luck, keep us posted!

tanith Thu 29-Oct-20 15:25:48

I had surgery on my right wrist for carpal tunnel a year ago. Mine came on quickly too and the muscle at the base of my thumb wasted away which once the surgeon saw it said he'd operate on it. Now a year on its 90% better. I still have some numbness in fingertips.

cannotbelieveiamaskingthis208 Thu 29-Oct-20 15:32:42

I developed CT during my first pregnancy. It was awful. The pain was excruciating. It went away when my son was born (and did not come back with subsequent pregnancies) but did come back several years later. I tried everything but surgery was the only thing that helped.

aggie Thu 29-Oct-20 15:35:10

I left mine too long , I had a poorly OH and grandchildren to take up my time , it was only when DD saw me fumbling to pick something up and I couldn’t knit that she persuaded me to see the GP , I had surgery as day procedure on one at a time . It didn’t work completely and still can’t knit , but I can crochet
My message is ..... see the Doctor , ring as soon as possible, I am sure they can do more nowadays

BlueBelle Thu 29-Oct-20 15:49:48

If the tingling is it all fingers it’s not carpel tunnel it misses out the little finger side of the hand
I ve also had the ‘op’ my mum and my eldest daughter too not sure if there’s a family trait or not
Mine has never come back after the op which must have been about thirty years ago however about ten years ago it come in the other hand I put up with a year or so then it completely disappeared on its own and never had any reoccurrence in either hand since

Grannynannywanny Thu 29-Oct-20 16:12:06

Franbern I had successful carpal tunnel surgery many years ago on both hands. Prior to surgery I wore splints supplied by physiotherapist which helped a lot.
You mentioned your GP isn’t concerned about your low oximeter readings. Perhaps you could have a consultation with your doctor and describe your symptoms and mention the oximeter readings again. I may be barking up the wrong tree but tingling fingers can be a sign of low oxygen levels.
I hope you get to the bottom of it and find relief ?

M0nica Thu 29-Oct-20 18:59:27

Only one solution - and that is surgery. I had carpal tunnel syndrome in one arm for over 30 years, mildly irritating, but hanging my arm out of the bed so it was lower than my body, usually solved the problem.

But then, all of a sudden over a matter of a month or so, it became really painful. I couldn't sleep unless I took pain killers and came the day when I needed pain killers in daytime as well.

At which point I went to see my GP and she sent me to see the consultant. Both were in absolute agreement that the only way forward was surgery, I was well passed the point when anything else would work. However I still had to jump through the usual hoops, of having steroid jabs, which were totally ineffectual and then some kind of nerve stimulus test that I also failed in a satisfactory manner

A couple of months later. I had the op, done under sedation and local anaesthetic, not full anasthesia. It has been about 75% successful. All the pain has gone but I still have some permanent loss of feeling in 3 of my fingers. However, I am quite happy with that, life is far better after the op than before.

MamaCaz Thu 29-Oct-20 19:43:06

Is the tingling in just one hand or both?

Marydoll Thu 29-Oct-20 19:45:15

I had it. Treated initially with splints, then a number of steroid injections, using ultrasound, eventually had an op, performed by a plastic surgeon.
You aren't automatically referred for surgery. You usually have to try all the other options first. Mine was organised by my rheumatologist.
It took about a year to get to the op stage.
I had it with no sedation and a local anaesthetic. It was partially successful.

Franbern Fri 30-Oct-20 09:13:01

Thanks for all these replies.
I have it in both hands, although right hand is worst. I know that the tingling could be to do with my low oxygen levels, but wearing the splints at night does seem to help me to get some sleep.
So difficult these times to see a GP. I do use AskmyGP, but noted that the one I go to at my practice is off for this week (Half term), so am waiting for next week to try to contact her. In a normal time, I would, without doubt, have been making an appointment to see her, but we are made to feel almost guilty if we do that at present.
I am assuming (almost hoping) that it is CTS - not something more serious, but I always advise other people not to self-diagnose, so should take my own advice.
I do know that both my thumb main joint are severely damaged with arthritus,- many years ago an x-ray of those showed there were spaces where there should not have been.
Will definitely update you when I manage to get some proper medical checks and advice.