Gransnet forums

Health

Hysteroscopy : Anyone had this procedure?

(17 Posts)
52bright Sat 31-Oct-20 21:45:31

I have recently had a ct colonoscopy which showed up a polp so the following week I had a colonoscopy to remove it. The ct colonoscopy showed a thickening in my womb which will now be investigated. I am having a vaginal internal scan next week and a hysteroscopy the following week. Oh joy unlimited grin shock. I have coped so far but by the time I have the hysteroscopy I will have had 4 invasive procedures in 4 weeks shock Does anyone have experience of this procedure. The information sheet which came with the appointment letter advises taking pain killers in advance of the procedure. It says that I will be offered a local anaesthetic through injection into the cervix. It also states that 'the procedure can be stopped at any time'. It seems obvious that this is quite an unpleasant procedure. Has anyone experienced this? If so please could you give me an honest assessment of your experience. No need to sugar coat it if it was unpleasant. I will be better prepared if I know what to expect. Also I have heard that it is possible to request a general anaesthetic for the procedure so I would like to consider this in the light of others experiences. Thanks for any replies.

emmasnan Sat 31-Oct-20 22:03:37

I had one done some years ago. I had the local anaesthetic which was okay for me. There was a brief period - only seconds - where I felt it was painful, the rest was uncomfortable. I did get some cramping type pain for a few hours afterwards but managed that fine with normal painkillers.
I hope whatever you decide to do it goes as well as it can for you.

GrandmasueUK Sat 31-Oct-20 22:05:16

Hi, I seem to have had all the same procedures as you in the same order. I didn’t have any anaesthetic. I felt a slight cramping which didn’t last for long and really wasn’t too painful just a mild discomfort, but other people may have had a different experience. I know it’s difficult but I think the more relaxed you are about it, the less uncomfortable it will be. Good luck with the procedure though. Take care. ?

EilaRose Sat 31-Oct-20 22:15:46

My hysteroscopy was done under a very light general anaesthetic as it was suggested I would be more comfortable and relaxed, which would make the whole procedure better.

I took the advice as I didn't know anyone who had it done previously and other than some paracetamol post-op there was nothing more to think about.

Hope you have a similar experience as I remember being worried beforehand but afterwards thinking to myself, what was all that worry about?

All the best

Ginnytonic5 Sat 31-Oct-20 22:30:10

I had the local anaesthetic for inserting my Marina coil as well as taking a sample from the womb as I too suffer from thickening..it was slightly uncomfortable and some cramping but nothing too bad ...paracetamol before and after with some rest, fine the next day !( Definitely not worth the recovery time of a general )

M0nica Sat 31-Oct-20 23:00:02

DD had one in August this year. She followed the instructions over pain killers and found it less traumatic than it had been made out to be. She had a couple of large fibroids. They put a hormone coil in at the same time. She lives alone, took herself to and from the hospital and refused all offers to have me accompany her, on the basis that it wasn't worth while has it was only a minor procedure - and she was right, she took the bus home. even though she was prepared to get a taxi, if needed.

Blossoming Sat 31-Oct-20 23:24:39

I had one without anaesthetic. It was excruciating as he also cut out a large fibroid. It depends on things like age, if you’ve ever had a vaginal birth and various other criteria. Not everyone has an experience like mine, just make sure you arm yourselves with all the facts so you can ask for sedation and pain relief as required.

I am 67: post menopausal and no children, and I have a closed cervix, so not a suitable candidate for outpatient hysteroscopy. I went into shock, passed out twice and my BP went through the floor.. If I ever have to have one again I will need a GA, not letting a gynae near me with any sharp instruments! The good thing is the lab results were OK and my cancer hasn’t spread.

silverdragon Sat 31-Oct-20 23:47:47

Mine was under a general anaesthetic as I was having a fibroid removed, and I had absolutely no problems afterwards - no pain or discomfort.

Is this any help? www.nhs.uk/conditions/hysteroscopy/

Cressida Sun 01-Nov-20 12:38:03

I've had three and not needed pain relief. I'm post menopausal & mum to three. I found it uncomfortable but not painful until the last one when the doctor attempted to remove a polyp. He stopped when I said it was painful but must have succeeded because the surgeon couldn't find it when I had the other one removed under GA.

annsixty Sun 01-Nov-20 13:05:43

Uncomfortable but not painful, only real discomfort when the camera goes through the cervix, a brief moment of bad period pain.

I did bleed for a few hours afterwards but had been told I would.

I had several polyps removed 3 weeks later under a GA.
I was told it would be too painful in the first procedure.

boodymum67 Sun 01-Nov-20 14:03:20

I`d be asking for the GA.

Good luck

suziewoozie Sun 01-Nov-20 14:11:53

I had a GA and I’ve heard varying responses from different women. We’re all different in terms of pain thresholds, anxiety, and probably some surgeons are more skilled than others at doing the procedure. You’ve been though the mill lately so I’d go for maximum pain relief. It’s not a competition for being stoical and brave.

Lona Sun 01-Nov-20 14:14:59

I had one three years ago aged 71. I thought I had good pain tolerance so I let the doctor start with no pain relief. However, I found it very painful and had to ask for some relief.
I think everyone has a different experience but I wouldn't want to risk it if I had another one.

ninathenana Sun 01-Nov-20 14:18:07

The consultant tried without anaesthetic but wouldn't complete the proceedure as he could see it was painful for me, although I didn't complain. I had it done under GA a week later, and was home in a couple of hours. I did have painkillers for cramps but they soon went.

52bright Mon 02-Nov-20 15:08:38

Thanks so much everybody. You have given me a lot to think about. There seems to have been quite a range of experiences. You are so right suziewoozie about it not being a competition about being stoical and I have to say I am a bit of a wimp. I might be ok for them taking a look under a local anaesthetic but would probably end up stopping the procedure if they wanted to cut fibroids or polps out. I notice that quite a few of you who needed this type of treatment ended up with a GA.
My thoughts at the moment are that I will wait and see what the transvaginal scan this Monday coming shows up. If there is a definite indication that there are fibroids I will go straight for the GA. I think doing this might just save me having the hysteroscopy twice grin
Thank you silverdragon for the nhs link. It shows that a GA can be asked for. This is very helpful as the documents sent with my appointments make no mention of this. I will print this info off and take it along with me. I have also spoken to a secretary in the hospital department who tells me that the procedure can be done under GA so let's hope he is right.

Gransnet is amazing. I would never have been able to get so many opinions regarding this procedure in RL so thanks again smile

sparklingsilver28 Mon 02-Nov-20 15:39:59

Had this procedure last year under local anaesthetic and fibroids removed at same time. Little uncomfortable for a few days but nothing overwhelming. Little advise, do not wear light/white skirt or trousers. If on blood thinners you will need to mention this before attending.

suziewoozie Mon 02-Nov-20 15:53:51

I can’t help but wonder why with a procedure exclusively for women, the option of a GA does not automatically appear on the paperwork? And 52 you are not a wimp - please don’t think that. We are all different in these circumstances.