Gransnet forums

Health

Hip replacement surgery

(24 Posts)
WOODMOUSE49 Thu 03-Dec-20 16:44:06

You don't say how old you are Helena. I was 67 when I had my right hip done. I've had years of pilates and yoga and was a good weight. However, I was very apprehensive because my sister in law had had it done privately the year before me and made a slow recovery. Still gets some pain. Next to nothing after care. Had to buy or hire all the equipment she needed.

I had it done with NHS - within the 18 weeks waiting time. Excellent care before and after. Physio had me up after I had been back in the ward two hours. Strict exercise regime which you must stick to. All equipment you can possibly need was provided. No need for any painkillers.

Within 3 weeks I was down to one crutch and after 5 weeks off them completely. 6 weeks I was given all clear to drive.

Lying on my back was awkward (not my usual position). Put a pillow on right side to stop me rolling over. Funny thing is, I got to like sleeping on my back and still do, quite a lot.

90 degree rule very important and showers are recommended - not baths as that means too much bending. You'll need help with feet.

Only down side was I have low blood pressure and fainted the next day whilst having a wash (seated). Physio had accompanied me to the bathroom. Kept me in a third day to make sure blood pressure as steady otherwise I would have had only been in 48 hours.

If I look after myself (weight and the right sort of exercise) I was told I should get 20 years out of it.

Hope your operation comes round quickly. Good luck

MariaUA Thu 03-Dec-20 09:52:51

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

travelsafar Fri 27-Nov-20 09:29:42

All these tips very useful as i was told yesterday i probably will have to have a HR. Waiting for an appointment for x rays and to see the hip surgeon. I had a wonderful young lady from Canada who i saw. She told me that i may be offered different kinds of treatments prior to a HR as they only last about 15years and are usually left until the last moment to do. The treatment may be in the form of stronger painkillers or a steroid injection. Both options to me are preferable to an op if they work.

annodomini Fri 13-Nov-20 14:53:53

Mine was done 15 years ago and is still functioning well. Get all the help you can, when you come home from hospital. Social Services lent me a wheeled trolley and my neighbour, who had two new hips, lent me blocks for raising my bed and a raised seat for the loo. I had a gadget that enabled me to pull on my socks, and, of course, the essential picker-up which I still use around the house. At the six-week check-up the physio told me I could go swimming and I was even able to do the breast stroke leg kick - cautiously at first.

Charleygirl5 Fri 13-Nov-20 10:33:22

You should not be cutting your own toenails until 3 months afterwards.

Is there space for a bath board? Safe and you will feel more comfortable.

Try sleeping on your back now and then when the time comes you will be semi-used to it.

A picker upper is essential if even to help you put our knickers on!

Humbertbear Fri 13-Nov-20 08:42:24

I had a hip replacement six years ago. I call it a miracle operation. I had the procedure under an epidural and sedative and had no pain after the operation. I was up and walking the next day, doing stairs the following day and home on the third day.
Make sure the occupational health people come and assess your home and give you any necessary support equipment.
Most important of all, do your exercises as often as you can and get some Hydro - physiotherapist if at all possible.

grannysyb Fri 13-Nov-20 08:32:22

Raised loo seat is a good idea, also a grabber for picking things up, surprisingly useful.

Ohmother Fri 13-Nov-20 08:27:40

You should be provided with disability aids such as the raised toilet seat nearer your operation date. All brand new.

Ohmother Fri 13-Nov-20 08:26:00

A kind neighbour offered me the use of her walk in shower as I didn’t feel secure in lifting my leg over the bath at that time.

Cut your nails just before the op and it’ll give you time to tackle them a bit easier as you recover.

By the way. I had my op cancelled at the last minute 4 times so be patient just in case. I was ready to ask the local vet if he was interested!! ?

Spangler Thu 12-Nov-20 22:35:41

helena Thu 12-Nov-20 13:39:33

How long before your able to have a bath?

It probably depends how quickly you become mobile. I was in the tub about a month after the operation. My wife bought a non slip bath mat that ran the length of the bath. It helps getting in and out.

The same goes for toe nails!! I don’t relish letting my husband trim them.. He has two left hands

If you can lift your leg to the height of the seat of a dining chair without too much discomfort, you should be alright to trim your own nails. You can buy elongated nail clippers, see attached photo. They range in price from a fiver to about forty quid. Those in the photo are a few pennies off seven pounds.

Also, is a raised toilet seat required?

Never found that a problem, but if you should find it uncomfortable there's many a raised seat product that you can find online.

My surgeon told me that the use of the walking stick or crutch will go a long way to preventing a fall, I still use mine, but only when the leg tires. It's more of a comfort blanket.

Luckygirl Thu 12-Nov-20 13:50:36

By the way, the 90 degree rule is important but do not get too hung up on it - just be careful and do your best. I broke the rule getting in the car to leave hospital and the nurse said just do it and don't worry.

Luckygirl Thu 12-Nov-20 13:48:56

I had mine done 6 years ago - sorry to say it has not gone well. Saw orthopaedic guy a few weeks ago and he said it is just bad luck - a tiny minority seem to get pain afterwards which does not subside - in the groin, down the femur etc. Now he tells me!!!I also have hip bursitis for which you would normally have an injection, but he says I cannot have that as I have a replaced hip.

But, as you can see from all the other replies, the norm is a brilliant outcome, and I have been the exception.

helena Thu 12-Nov-20 13:39:33

Thank you all for your input. It’s been really helpful. I do have a couple of other questions for you though... How long before your able to have a bath? We have a shower over the bath, so what’s the best way to wash my hair and still keep to the 90 degree rule? The same goes for toe nails!! I don’t relish letting my husband trim them.. He has two left hands ? Also, is a raised toilet seat required?

V3ra Fri 06-Nov-20 23:09:23

My mother-in-law had a hip replacement at the age of 90.
She flew to the Canaries on holiday with us six weeks later.

Spangler Fri 06-Nov-20 21:17:11

helena Fri 06-Nov-20 17:18:47
Thanks.. I’m a bit apprehensive, especially about all the rules afterwards.

Like you, I was apprehensive, I haven't been in hospital for almost 60 years. Let me take you through my experience.

My left leg had been getting more and more painful, I just had to see my doctor. She had me sit on the couch, legs stretched out in front. Then she placed the palms of her hands on my right thigh and rolled it, like a rolling pin. No problem. When she did it to my left leg the pain was so intense that I grabbed her arm, almost involuntary, just to stop the pain. Doctor got me an appointment for an x-ray.

The x-ray confirmed the need for a replacement. There was a considerable waiting list, so I chose to go private.

Before surgery, I had two separate appointments with my surgeon, he explained the procedure, the aftercare and the recovery timescale. I had to report to the hospital on the morning of the surgery. My operation wouldn't be until the evening. I tried to settle into my room but I was, as you say, apprehensive.

Come surgery time, the anaesthetist came to collect me and we walked to the theatre together. He was doing his best to relax me. By now I was undressed apart from my theatre gown. One of the doctors was counting down my spine to find the entrance in which the epidural will be injected. That done and my lower body was paralysed, couldn't feel a thing, not even the part that I had dreaded, the catheter being inserted.

The theatre nurse picked up on my apprehension, she simply held both my hands in hers and smiled. Just under two hours later it was all over. I never felt or heard a thing. I seemed to be drifting in and out of consciousness and wondered if that had been contrived, but it didn't matter. A porter wheeled me back to my room and with a nurse, lifted me into my bed.

Six o'clock the next morning I had a nurse wheel in a wash bowl of sudsy water. She explained that I couldn't bathe or shower yet but the anaesthetic swab on my body had to be washed off. She was such a kindly lady, Nigerian I think, she explained that modesty and dignity can be difficult but handed me a flannel and told me to wash the crown jewels. That done, she spun me around and washed my backside and as she did she said, "I'll wash the credit card swipe." Some might find that inappropriate but I thought it hilarious.

The first time on my feet was to use the loo after the catheter had been removed. It took me an age, clinging onto the zimmer frame, I thought that I would never walk properly again.

The next day I was x-rayed. Seeing that x-ray on a screen was a new experience, I asked the radiographer if it was possible to have a copy. "Give me your mobile number," she said. "Ping," went my phone. One x-ray.

The next day I was discharged, my wife collected me and drove me home. As others have said, the exercises and physio are essential to help muscle repair and become strong around the new hip. All that was three years ago and I have been back enjoying the pleasure of ballroom dancing for most of that time, I just have to remember a ditty my wife told me. She said, when climbing or descending stairs think: "up with the goodies, down with the baddies," it certainly helps.

TerriT Fri 06-Nov-20 19:22:03

I had my right hip done 5 years ago this week. I echo all those saying it all went fine and glad they had it done. I’d never had surgery before so was concerned about how I would be after. I was absolutely fine and home within 3 days. I was in such pain prior to operation but after the op the pain disappeared . I’d heard that but couldn’t believe it would happen. Well it did! So go for it, you will be so glad you did.

Ohmother Fri 06-Nov-20 19:08:47

I had one a few years ago. Get yourself a V pillow to keep you on your back. They’re brilliant! You will sleep because of the effects of the drugs. Take it easy, don’t undo the magic that is happening. I have been horse riding and have climbed a mountain since I had mine done. One of the best things ever!

Lyndylou Fri 06-Nov-20 19:05:14

I had one 2 years ago. I was one of the 25% of people (apparently) who are sick after surgery and so I had a bad first 24 hours but I was still home within 48 hours. I am quite confident to go ahead with a second one probably in the New Year. I was back working from home 3 hours a day within 2-3 weeks afterwards. I was previously worried about that but it was fine.

I was told my bed had to be higher so I purchased a second mattress to go under my normal one, that is still on the bed, got used to it now and it is ready for next time. The other useful item I found was a long handle back brush for the shower, enabled me to get to wash my calves and feet.

helena Fri 06-Nov-20 17:18:47

Thanks.. I’m a bit apprehensive, especially about all the rules afterwards. I find it extremely difficult to sleep on my back, but it’s something I’ll just have to get used to ? All worth it in the end I’m sure ?

NotTooOld Fri 06-Nov-20 17:17:57

Yes, had one done five years ago and absolutely fine. A bit uncomfortable for a few hours after the op but that soon passes. The pain goes immediately - you will feel so much better. Make sure you do the exercises!

tanith Fri 06-Nov-20 17:13:21

I’ve had both done and both very successful no more pain. All good advice given the exercises are vital afterwards. If you have any specific questions ask away.

annsixty Fri 06-Nov-20 17:05:25

I had one four weeks ago today.
The relief from the pain is already fantastic.
The op with a spinal block was fine.
The first few days are challenging but manageable, I was only in hospital 2 nights and needed lots of help for the first week but I am 83.
You need to do exactly as you are told, do not bend and sleeping on your back is not easy for me.
I was soon managing to get to the bathroom alone but needed help showering the first couple of times.
I am now getting about well , on one crutch in the house but still need two outdoors, I still need more confidence.
I am so pleased it is done and you will be too.

grannysyb Fri 06-Nov-20 17:05:03

Had one about a year ago, absolutely fine now. Take the pain relief, don't be a martyr. Do all the exercises that the physio tells you to do even if you're still a bit sore.

helena Fri 06-Nov-20 16:50:49

Has anyone had a hip replacement? What was your experiences and, have you any tips, warnings etc, for a good recovery? Thanks. I’m expected to have one next year sometime..