Gransnet forums

Health

Natural sleep remedies

(17 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Fri 13-Nov-20 09:08:13

My DH has trouble sleeping. He can fall asleep easily, but wakes up at about 3am and has to get up for a few hours. He then comes back to bed and sleeps late, not getting up until 9.30 - 10.00 am. I read about having a lemon by the side of the bed to induce a good night's sleep, so we tried this. Needless to say it didn't work. He won't even take Paracetamol, so there's no point me suggesting anything that's not natural. Any suggestions for natural/herbal sleep remedies, old wives tales or anything else gratefully received.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 13-Nov-20 09:12:09

Lavender?

But in a way, if he is getting sufficient sleep, does it matter how or when he gets it?

OceanMama Fri 13-Nov-20 09:15:21

I like Swisse Relax and Sleep. Magnesium can help, as can lavender oil.

Jane10 Fri 13-Nov-20 09:16:29

Yes. Surely its more important that he has an average of 7 hours sleep than that it's taken in one go?

TerriBull Fri 13-Nov-20 09:27:48

I don't sleep well, I did once but the menopause put paid to that. Have tried several different potions, lavender drops on pillow case, something from "Lush" called "Sleepy" which was a body cream, a lavender based spray for the pillow called "This works" well it didn't, not for me at any rate sad Currently using a CBD oil, no success with that either.

Your husband has my sympathy, I'd love to find some sort of remedy to this problem, although from previous threads on the subject, it's not uncommon. I also think that he's not wrong to grab the sleep as and when it comes, even if that's outside what would be conventional bed time, often for me it's in the evening when I'm all geared up to watching something on tv.

Missfoodlove Fri 13-Nov-20 09:28:21

This Works sleep spray is fantastic.
It’s not cheap but it really does the job.
We were on holiday a couple of years ago with a group of friends one of whom was having a lot of work stress and wasn’t sleeping.
I offered him the spray and he laughed, his wife got angry and told him to try it.
He used it every night with success and ordered some to arrive on his return home!

Patsy70 Fri 13-Nov-20 10:02:48

Sleep patterns change as we get older and due to what is happening in our lives. I always read for a while before falling asleep, often waking after 5 hours, reading again then falling asleep for a further 2 hours. As long as your husband is getting about 7 hours/night it shouldn’t be a problem.

fevertree Fri 13-Nov-20 10:16:35

A nightcap of warm milk, honey and a good shake of nutmeg. (Nutmeg is a sleep aid). I have about half a cup, doesn't have to be a lot, the milk is really just a delivery device for the nutmeg!

EllanVannin Fri 13-Nov-20 10:21:49

It's more the quality of sleep rather than the quantity. Going into a deep sleep is far more beneficial than cat-naps and if this happens and you should wake at around 4am, don't struggle to get back to sleep get up and make a drink and have a read.
Wait until the following night and you'll invariably sleep a bit longer and hopefully sleep through until 6am. It'll take time but the quality of sleep will make you feel much better.

If, on the odd occasion this happens to me, I follow this to get me back into a routine and it works----but no cheating by nodding off during the day smile

MiniMoon Fri 13-Nov-20 10:23:28

Sleeping for 7 or 8 hours a night is a modern habit. Our ancestors used to have segmented sleep. Two sleeps a night with a wakeful period of 1-3 hours. Here is an article that explains it. I found it a very interesting read.

lemsip Fri 13-Nov-20 10:40:47

nytol 'one a night' the blue box..
. Nytol One-A-Night contains a commonly used antihistamine called diphenhydramine.
over the counter remedy.

Jane43 Fri 13-Nov-20 12:16:41

I find an antihistamine works for me but try not to take one regularly. MiniMoon you are correct in what you point out. I used to get stressed about not being able to sleep through the night but Michael Mosley did a tv programme called The Truth About Sleep In which he discussed what you have said amongst other things so now it doesn’t bother me so much, I just read for a while then settle down to sleep again.

Ramblingrose22 Fri 13-Nov-20 12:27:40

I used to take herbal tablets called Natrasleep. I found the maximum dose of 3 tablets always did the trick.

I don't think they are produced anymore so I've been meaning to look up the ingredients if I can find them so that I can buy the most similar formulation on sale now.

If anyone still has some and can tell me the ingredients that would be wonderful.

GrannyLaine Fri 13-Nov-20 14:03:44

grannyrebel7 I feel his pain! I used to be a deep sleeper but age and osteoarthritis mean that my sleep pattern has changed radically. Most of the remedies suggested will help with falling asleep (which I have no problem with) but won't help with staying asleep. But I can accept that this is just how it is now and so it doesn't really feel like a problem any more. Your husband sounds as though he has the right idea.

Katyj Fri 13-Nov-20 15:00:27

Michael Mosley also found that taking probiotics or kefir helped, you can buy them as drinks in the supermarket. I also love This works sleep spray, I’ve run out at the momet and really missing it. Good luck.

ExD Fri 13-Nov-20 15:12:42

I watched a tv programme on sleep, and one of the theories was that humans evolved to wake up during the night to check and make sure no predators were threatening the family unit.
hmm I'm not sure I buy it myself, but if you suggest it to him it might make him feel better, and after he's checked the locks and seen that everything's switched off, he can get back to bed and go to sleep straight away.
Big brave caveman reverting to type in his maturity? Just doing his job, not a problem - in fact a very useful instinct??
confused

grannyrebel7 Fri 13-Nov-20 18:30:40

Thanks everyone I'll get DH to try This Works sleep spray. When he finished his teaching career he took a part time driving job for Royal Mail which involved getting up at 3am and he believes his brain is still geared up to getting up at this unearthly hour. He's getting sufficient sleep but would prefer not to have this nightly interruption. Fingers crossed it works!