Gransnet forums

Health

Senile Purpura - bleeding/ bruising under the skin arms /legs

(19 Posts)
Lexisgranny Sat 14-Nov-20 23:51:23

Like Rufus2 I take Eliquis or Apixaban as it is sometimes called (also 2 for life for AF). I was not allowed to take Warfarin because of the cocktail of drugs I was already taking. I do get small bruises, but more annoying is the way my thin skin sort of pushes back and remains creased up if I catch it, which is quite often. It doesn’t uncrease (or should that be decrease?) leaving a raw bit underneath. I have however, bruise on top of my foot that I got trying a pair of shoes on, a year or two ago, which has never faded, looking like the old ink stains that my mother used to get so cross about. I think I’ll stick with bruises and forget about senile or purpurin. I shan’t worry to much about it, I’ve had regular drug tests for years because I also take Methotrexate for RH.

Onthenaughtystep1 Sat 14-Nov-20 23:20:01

Like silverlining48 I was an elderly primagravid. At 28 I was none too pleased with the label but I was given extra attention so I suppose it was to my advantage.

EllanVannin Sat 14-Nov-20 19:52:37

I've definitely got the hide of a rhino as I really bashed my arm yesterday diving down a bag of dried cat food. The corner of the bag pierced my arm and I thought, here we go, a bloodied and bruised job.
Yes it bled but not for long and looking at it now----it's nearly gone.
I take Warfarin. Stupid but not senile grin

Fennel Sat 14-Nov-20 18:40:25

I get it too.
I think taking blood thinners makes it worse. eg aspirin.

Alishka Sat 14-Nov-20 18:38:19

Oh! so that's what they're called?shockgrin

silverlining48 Sat 14-Nov-20 16:50:03

Welbeck it used to be 25. In the 70s when I had my first child ( 45 years ago tomorrow) it was writ large across the front of my hospital file in very large capital letters. I was 27 and felt ancient. Different times.

AGAA4 Sat 14-Nov-20 16:11:56

I get them on my arms. I have a name for them now but don't like the 'senile' bit.

welbeck Sat 14-Nov-20 16:06:41

Whitewavemark2

I’ll admit to the purpura but not the senile

medical terminology is rarely complimentary.
what about a woman of 35 having her first baby being labelled, elderly primagravida.

Hetty58 Sat 14-Nov-20 14:43:06

If only we'd stayed out of the sun - we'd have no wrinkles, age spots or bruises. That 'sunscreen' song is dead right!

Onthenaughtystep1 Sat 14-Nov-20 14:37:31

I researched this some time ago and the only product I could find formulated for the condition was DerMend. I could only find American stockists.
I did read a research paper on it but to be honest I wasn’t impressed with what I read but thought I would give it a try next time I was in the USA.
The photos of before and after treatment were much the same as my arms and legs with moisturiser. If they had said after a week it cleared up I would have been impressed but it was time frames like 3-4 weeks by which time mine are gone even if I do nothing.
What was clear when I was researching it was that sun damage was often responsible for the thinning. So as far as I am concerned the damage is done and now I’m living with the consequences.

timetogo2016 Sat 14-Nov-20 12:38:26

I too suffer from the asaid bruising and put witch hazel on them,which brings them out quicker.

silverlining48 Sat 14-Nov-20 12:34:44

Yes senile is a bit of a shock, however we look on the outside we tend to feel pretty much as we were when we were young. My dd will be 45 tomorrow yet I remember the whole process as if it were but a few short weeks ago. shock

Whitewavemark2 Sat 14-Nov-20 06:30:37

I’ll admit to the purpura but not the senile

Rufus2 Sat 14-Nov-20 05:47:58

anyone experienced this and any cures
OldAge
Several years ago my Cardio diagnosed via echo-ultrasound (something like that) that I had A/F and put me on a diet of Warfarin and 2 diuretics.
The density of purpura is simply a measure of your blood's thinness/thickness and I was told not to worry about that: the path.lab carried out regular blood tests which came up with a number which they controlled by varying the daily dose of Warfarin . up or down accordingly.
I don't think they'd have worried if I came in looking like a tattoo advert.!
Of course' modern medicine isn't a static science, (nor is the cost,!,) and Warfarin has been replaced by Eliquis which is on our NHS, fortunately and doesn't need any blood test monitoring at all . Two small tablets daily for life! hmm
So, Like me, feel free to find something else to worry about. grin
Good Health

Hetty58 Sat 14-Nov-20 00:07:56

Fragile skin and capillaries, common with ageing - and especially sun damage, cause this. It's harmless, though. I often feel that I need padded gloves and shin guards these days!

welbeck Fri 13-Nov-20 23:40:01

think it's just a condition of ageing, skin gets thinner, maybe circulation less optimum.
try to take care, wear gloves/ mittens, often affects back of hands. try to protect vulnerable areas. long socks.

silverlining48 Fri 13-Nov-20 23:00:40

DH has these often, sometimes without being aware that he has knocked himself. The do look ugly and take a while to go, only to be replaced by more . The gp said it’s an age thing. Senile bruises.

Gin Fri 13-Nov-20 22:50:09

I suffer from it and hate it, my hands look awful. I have very thin skin that bruises so easily. I just put coverup on the back of my hands which is not very successful as it rubs off on clothes!

OldAgeSucks Fri 13-Nov-20 22:37:51

Anyone had senile purpura ..... it’s when you knock yourself on back of hand arms or legs and it bleeds under the skin leaving dark mauve/red blobs and takes weeks to fade .....anyone experienced this and any cures. I am using Arnica but not sure it helps