Gransnet forums

Health

Carpel Tunnel Syndrome

(12 Posts)
Franbern Tue 17-Nov-20 09:28:56

Pretty sure I have this, very bad in right hand, less so in left hand. Causing me problems with sleeping at night.
Will go to GP - have been wearing wrist splints at night.
I have osteoporosis, but this came on quite suddenly a few weeks back.
Just wondering if people who have had it have any suggestions to help at night.

Shropshirelass Tue 17-Nov-20 09:33:03

I haven’t had carpal tunnel syndrome but have had tennis elbow, rotator cuff injury in my shoulder and a slipped disc in my lower back. I found that Bowen Therapy helped a lot, it might be worth looking into this for some help. It is very gentle and encourages the body to heal itself. I also found that cutting out sugar and carbohydrates helped, it reduces inflammation. Good luck.

ExD Tue 17-Nov-20 09:49:44

Same here but mine has been coming on gradually for about 2 years.
After the splints the next treatment is a steroid injection done in the surgery at my gp's. They were reluctant to do this because it will weaken my immune system which is not a Good idea at the moment, but the waiting time for surgery is so long we've decided to go ahead as the pain is now lasting all day and loss of strength in my R hand makes normal every day tasks impossible.
This is arranged for Thursday (day after tomorrow) so I'll let you know what happens, and tell you how much it hurts - I've had different reports on this from "they had to scrape me off the ceiling" to "not as bad as the dentist".
Bit scary???

Franbern Tue 17-Nov-20 10:12:10

Good Luck for Thursday ExD. I have previously had steroid injections in hip, shoulder (twice) and thumbs - this last did absolutely nothing except cause me further pain.
I know I am self-diagnosing - which I always tell people is a 'No-No'!!.
As I am due to have an MRI for on-going head pans, on Friday, thought I would wait the result of that, and then try to see my GP and also then talk about the problems with my hands,
The main problem is at night, as it prevents me sleeping, and will even wake me up if I manage to fall asleep.

tanith Tue 17-Nov-20 10:15:18

I had my carpal tunnel surgery a year ago, I went to my GP who referred me to a surgeon apparently it was very severe as I had already had muscle wastage so he scheduled my surgery straight away. Now a year on I have back 90% of feeling and strength and the muscle wastage is much improved.

tanith Tue 17-Nov-20 10:15:59

Sorry I meant to add the only thing that helped at night was a wrist splint.

M0nica Wed 18-Nov-20 08:46:50

Pain killers.

Franbern Wed 18-Nov-20 09:03:08

Monica = I already need to take painkillers at night to help with my back, am reluctant to go to stronger ones again, took me a long time to wean myself off them last year. Unfortunately, the pins and needles in my right hand breaks through these painkillers. Last night, desperate for a good night sleep I did take a Nytol tab.( over the counter purchased, normal dose is two I only take one). Worked perfectly, excellent nights sleep, which still allows my body to respond to waking me for Loo trips.
Will continue using splints, these do seem to help my left hand - but not the right hand which is the worst. During the day that hand feels quite cold to touch.

M0nica Wed 18-Nov-20 12:19:34

You have my every sympathy. The only answer is the op, and it is great. I have had it and although I have been left with some numbness in my finger tips I do not care, getting rid of the pain, which as anyone who has had it knows is agonising, is sufficent. I can cope with the numbness - it is painless.

ExD Wed 18-Nov-20 16:01:55

I find splints (bought online) a great help at night, but as soon as I take them off ..................... well you know what it feels like!
Good luck with the MRI Franbern I hope it finds something easily fixable to explain your pains, or eliminates anything nasty.

ExD Thu 26-Nov-20 10:58:17

The injection wasn't specially painful and was quickly done. One week later I only have mild mins and needles, but have lost muscle mass (?) and the hand is weak.
I can live with that and the freedom from pain is such a joy!

Franbern Thu 26-Nov-20 16:07:48

Spoke to a GP on the phone and he said he would like me to continue to use the wrist splints for eight weeks, as they can take a long time to have a good effect. If no better after that time, then need to discuss having an injection.
I have, previously had steroid injections into my shoulder and into my hips with great success. However, ones that I had into my thumbs were extremely painful and gave me no relief.
Thanks to everybody who replied to this thread.