Gransnet forums

Health

Supplement obsession.

(61 Posts)
Missfoodlove Sat 21-Nov-20 16:05:04

Am I alone in taking a lot of supplements?
I’ve just filled my pill dispenser for the week and it made me think.
Here’s the list.....
Cinnamon for blood sugar,
NAC for chest and C19 protection.
Sage for hot flushes.
Vitamin D for general wellness.
D Mannose to prevent UTI’s
Occasionally Vit B.
Please assure me I’m not bonkers.

diygran Sat 21-Nov-20 20:15:48

I take evening primrose oil, cod liver oil and a multi vitamin with iron every day.
At 70 I feel healthier with these supplements, esp. evening primrose oil for keeping skin supple and hair bouncy. Feel like a dried up prune without them...

phoenix Sat 21-Nov-20 20:16:59

Callistemon

Well, a balanced diet does not always mean no prescribed meds.

We never know what life may have in store for us.

Agree, Callistemon, without "prescription meds" I would struggle even more with my breathing than I do now.

Gingster if you can get through your life without any prescription meds, then you are very fortunate indeed.

M0nica Sat 21-Nov-20 21:06:53

As you get older you need to eat much less, so getting all the micro-nutrients you need from your balanced diet is a lot harder.

I must be eating only half what I did before the menopause.

Grannynannywanny Sat 21-Nov-20 21:10:49

M0nica if you’re wondering who devours the other half then look no further

lemsip Sat 21-Nov-20 21:13:41

have taken selenium one a day for years. vit c drink daily and dip in and out of various others but not every day!

OceanMama Sat 21-Nov-20 21:16:20

That doesn't sound like that many supplements to me, OP.

M0nica Sun 22-Nov-20 08:52:39

How can you describe somthing as a money making racket, when you probably have no idea how much people are spending. I pay less than £25 for mine, less than £1 a day. In fact less than the cost of a daily paper.

There is no virtue in not taking prescription drugs. I am not on any prescription drugs. I put that down to coming from a genetically robust family. I have friends who have had fragile health all their lives; my DiL has an auto-immune disease despite being slim and fit and eating a healthy diet.

Good health is often a question of good luck rather than good judgment.

Franbern Sun 22-Nov-20 09:08:22

Missfoodlove You are obviously very enthusiastic about ensuring that these supplement companies can continue ensuring good profits to their shareholders.

A properly balanced, good diet will give you all the vitamins you require, most of what you list here are just giving you some sort of 'feel good; factor nothing more.

The only one may be Vit D - although, as has been said here, where blood tests show up a low level, then GP's usually prescribe Adcal.

Gingster Sun 22-Nov-20 12:31:47

I agree Calistemon you never know what’s around the corner but I do not obsess about my health. As long as I feel ok and eat well and exercise reasonably, I’m not about to spend money on supplements.

Gingster Sun 22-Nov-20 12:39:17

Monica I have been in plenty of Health food shops and have seen the prices they charge

Squiffy Sun 22-Nov-20 13:02:38

Eating a well-balanced diet is important, of course, but for those with digestive issues the nutrients pass through their systems too quickly to be absorbed properly!

Casdon Sun 22-Nov-20 13:24:41

The NHS recommendation is for all over 65s to take a vitamin D supplement in the winter months at least, so even those who don’t take any other supplements need to do that. I’m not over 65 yet but I take it every day as part of a multivitamin and mineral supplement, which for me is the best option as it’s easy and not expensive.

TerriBull Sun 22-Nov-20 13:30:09

Vitamin D, advised to take it by GP after blood test
Vitamin B12 for more energy, haven't noticed a lot of change there though
CBD oil for a better night's sleep, hasn't worked either.
Rennies if I have indigestion
I also take 150 mcg of Thyroxine as prescribed by GP.
Oh and mouthwash, not sure that would be considered a supplement.

Blossoming Sun 22-Nov-20 14:30:20

When do you take your Thyroxine TerriBull? Some people find that taking it one hour before bedtime, rather than in the morning, helps with daytime fatigue levels.

M0nica Sun 22-Nov-20 15:56:35

Ginster I do not get my suppliments from Healthfood shops. They come direct from the supplier in packaged up into daily packs.

The prices I quoted are what I actually pay for the supplements I take, which as well as vitamins and minerals include fish oil, flavinoids, CQ10 and other micro-nutrients.

TerriBull Sun 22-Nov-20 16:04:01

Hi Blossoming, I did take it at bedtime because I read a while back that helped with daytime fatigues, but quite honestly didn't make a lot of difference. Then I read somewhere that was all wrong, so I'm back to daytime. I won't say I'm fatigued all the time, I've just come back from an hour and a half's walk right now! it's just some days sad but I guess I'm not alone at my age mid 60s, and like many the menopause didn't help.

tidyskatemum Sun 22-Nov-20 16:10:59

DiL’s parents in Korea sent us a huge jar of ginseng concentrate which will last us for years! DH swears it makes him feel better but I can’t say I’ve noticed any difference. And it tastes horrid. Other than that we’ve recently started taking vitaminD for it’s alleged protection against COVID but nothing else.

Missfoodlove Sun 22-Nov-20 17:12:08

Thank you everyone, I feel I’m not alone!!!

There have been one or two smug responses, I think we are all aware that lifestyle is a massive factor.
I have just returned from a 9 mile walk and really struggle to see how anyone can walk 10 miles everyday.

I had cancer at 36 and have had a lot of of kidney problems, I only have one fully functioning kidney.
All the supplements I take I have researched fully and I feel they have really helped me.
Both NAC and D Mannose are used widely in hospitals and on prescription.

I think the medical world is more open to the medicines nature provides us with.

Hetty58 Sun 22-Nov-20 18:58:38

MissChataline 'I really am so not frightened of this virus' - being super fit and healthy (while very commendable) has absolutely nothing to do with the reduction in T cells that age inevitably brings.

I do think it's our duty to avoid catching the virus - especially the over 60s.

M0nica Mon 23-Nov-20 16:30:28

MissChataline Pride goes before a fall. I have seen several slim, fit, healthy lifestyle people suddenly collapse with heart attacks, strokes or, in one case, cancer of the brain, to offer any hostages to fortune because currently, I do not take any prescribed medication and am slim and fit. and eat a healthy diet. I am just cautiously optimistic each morning that all is good and I hope it will continue to be so.

bluebirdwsm Mon 23-Nov-20 17:14:39

150mcg thyroxine daily, taken in the morning, no tiredness at all.

I would always choose natural products over prescribed drugs if possible. I have a good diet, am fit and active, no real problems [71]. Good health is often due to genetics and no one should be smug about theirs or assume others have an inferior lifestyle or are uninformed. Some things come to light as we age.

I take: Turmeric with black pepper and ginger, high strength...definitely helps with arthritis in my hands.
Cod liver oil...contains Vit A and D, good for heart, brain, lubrication of joints.

Cost is less that £1 a week. I do not use Holland Barrett as their doses are small and prices very high.

MissChateline Wed 25-Nov-20 18:35:00

Sorry ive only just seen that there were comments regarding my post. 10 miles a day is my normal. At least 3 miles before breakfast as soon as it gets light throunwoods opposite my house and onto the moors. Home fir berries and yoghurt then a walk to the small town centre to pick up a few bits for the day. Salad fir lunch then straight out eigh head phones on to listen to you and yours and the lunch time news . Along the canal, up through woods and on the moors on the other side of the valley. I wear a fitbit which records every step. On Monday I had a day hike with a friend, 13 miles. (She has walked from Mexico to Canada along the rockies and the appalacian trail 3 times) In the last 12 months I have walked 2800 miles.
My partner has been stuck on a Spanish island since March and we have only managed 4 weeks together since then. Walking is how I keep my sanity and it gives me something to do. Please don't be so disparaging about my daily exercise.

Sparklefizz Wed 25-Nov-20 19:51:49

Gosh, MissChateline I wish I could do all of that!

hugshelp Wed 25-Nov-20 20:16:39

Here's my list:
Multivitamin and mineral
probiotic (not all time)
lutein - because I have eye problems
bilberry - as lutein
cranberry
spirulina
cod liver oil
Evening primrose oil
kelp
D3
extra zinc and vit c atm
Q10
Epsom salts in bath for magnesium
Sea buckthorn oil
quercitin and bromelain
N-acetyl-n-cystine
astragalus
milk thistle extract
marine collagen
Turmeric

Mine are a combination of things suggested by a nutritionalist for various specific ailment (I have CFS, multiple food intolerances, allergies, dry eye syndrome, IBS, and vaginal atrophy, and am prone to mouth ulcers and other low-grade infections) and to boost immunity.

MissChateline Wed 25-Nov-20 20:31:09

2 oranges and a lemon squeezed first thing, berries and yoghurt for breakfast. Salad and egg or soup for lunch. Cheese and oatcakes as snacks. Chicken, fish or an ottolenghi dish with lots of veg for dinner. Fruit as evening snacks. Minimal carbs and almost no processed food (cheese is my downfall)
Very occasionally a paracetamol for a migraine after too much red wine.(My worst downfall). Ive never seen the need, for me, to take any supplements if I have a good nutritious and varied diet. Ive never had a serious days illness in my life. I guess it must be good genes. My 89 year old dad is exactly the same.