Gransnet forums

Health

Well, I must be ill! ?

(33 Posts)
phoenix Tue 24-Nov-20 19:37:55

Evening all, and good wishes.

Phoned the GP surgery at lunchtime today, hoping to get a telephone appointment for tomorrow, but the receptionist thought I should speak to the doctor sooner. shock

So, had telephone consultation at 5.30pm, and she wants to see me tomorrow at 10am!

She (GP) also advised me to triple (!) my doses of Fostaire in the meantime.

Well! There's a thing!

phoenix Wed 25-Nov-20 22:02:15

On them, not in then!

phoenix Wed 25-Nov-20 20:21:56

etheltbags1

Take care. I'm on inhalers so I know what its like. X

Thanks etheltbags1

I've been in then since diagnosed with COPD in 2016, so just a case of getting used to the new one.

What did make me angry was that although I had a boxed, sealed, unused Fostair inhaler in the fridge, I was told to bin it, as the surgery can't accept unused meds !

I can understand they have to be cautious, but it seems a waste of NHS resources and funds. sad

etheltbags1 Wed 25-Nov-20 20:09:21

Take care. I'm on inhalers so I know what its like. X

phoenix Wed 25-Nov-20 19:58:53

Another thing to add in praise of our Surgery, it's in Black Torrington (small village) but we can have our prescriptions delivered to the village shop in Shebbear (slightly larger village)!

So you can go in, but a newspaper, veg, bread, cheese etc then say "by the way, have you got my drug delivery?"

grin

Luckygirl Wed 25-Nov-20 12:45:50

Fingers crossed that the new regime does the trick.

Liz46 Wed 25-Nov-20 12:07:50

I’m pleased (and jealous) that you have such a good doctor!

phoenix Wed 25-Nov-20 11:57:40

We're very lucky, all the staff at our surgery are great!

dragonfly46 Wed 25-Nov-20 11:50:53

Hope it works for you Phoenix. You sound like you have a wonderful doctor.

Marydoll Wed 25-Nov-20 11:49:42

Glad to hear that you have got new medication. Take care, Phoenix.

Gwenisgreat1 Wed 25-Nov-20 11:48:38

Hi Pheonix, I have Bronchiectasis and have found since I had pneumonias last year I do get breathless walking uphill. I was on Relvar, so they tried me on Fostair 200, then Trimbow. I have recently done peak flow tests with all three and found Relvar was consistently better with my peak flow tests, so shall be asking to go back to it.
Good Luck Pheonix, hope it all works well.

Doodledog Wed 25-Nov-20 11:47:44

I hope the new inhaler is more effective.

mokryna Wed 25-Nov-20 11:41:28

Hope it works, take care.

phoenix Wed 25-Nov-20 11:26:48

Hello all!

Got a telling off for not going sooner blush.

Antibiotics for a week, unfortunately when I've had to take this particular one (Doxycycline) before it always makes me sick. 6, yes, 6 steroid tablets every morning for a week, and a complete change of inhaler from Fostair to Trimbow.

Doc is going to phone in a fortnight to see how it's going, then I've got to go back to the surgery 2 weeks after that.

Bathsheba Tue 24-Nov-20 21:36:57

Oh Phoenix, poor you. I'm glad your GP has taken this seriously and is seeing you promptly. Hope all goes well - please keep us updated.

Luckygirl Tue 24-Nov-20 21:33:16

Hope the appointment goes well tomorrow and that she comes up with some good treatment.

Marydoll Tue 24-Nov-20 21:31:08

I have brittle asthma and bronchiectasis. I take Relvar, Braltus and Salbutamol inhalers and will be on low dose antibiotics for the rest of my life,

Also I am the carrier of a mutated cystic fibrosis gene, although I don't have cystic fibrosis. It was the cystic fibrosis consultant who changed all my meds after deciding my current ones weren't doing me any good and my conditions were unstable.
I'm so grateful I saw him. I never knew I even had the gene until late in life.

Doodledog Tue 24-Nov-20 21:06:55

Thanks, Marydoll.

Sorry to butt into the thread, but are the drugs you are all talking about asthma meds, or are they for something like COPD? If asthma I could ask for a consultation with the asthma nurse and see what she thinks about a change from Salbutamol.

phoenix Tue 24-Nov-20 20:54:06

Thanks Marydoll, but I will wait to see what she suggests, rather than asking about Relvar.

I gather from others that she's not too keen on patients seeming to have Googled things, although I appreciate that's not the case in this instance!

Marydoll Tue 24-Nov-20 20:41:44

I meant to say about Relvar, it doesn't seem to cause the hoarseness the others do and no thrush!

Doodledog I hope you get some relief soon. It's just drags you down.

Doodledog Tue 24-Nov-20 20:36:52

Yes, I'm your new stalker grin.

My asthma has been well controlled until about October of last year, when the breathlessness kicked in. I don't have a cough, but am unable to walk very far at all without stopping to catch my breath, and it's very limiting.

I wonder what is affecting us all. My consultant seems to be working on a process of elimination, but we are no further forward a year later. The appointments have been badly affected by the pandemic, of course, but I am very worried about catching it.

Marydoll Tue 24-Nov-20 20:36:16

Phoenix ask about Relvar Ellipta, I went straight onto the highest strength. It has made such a difference to my life. Having various lung conditions, I have been through all the usual steroid inhalers over the last 45 years, but Relvar has improved my asthma dramatically and decreased the frequency of serious attacks.
Good luck for tomorrow.

Doodle Tue 24-Nov-20 20:22:08

Doodledog are you following me grin?
Sorry you and Marydoll are both breathless . I have had asthma for about 45 years but fortunately, for me, been well controlled for the last 20 years or so.
Hope you both get some help with your breathlessness too.

phoenix Tue 24-Nov-20 20:19:27

Thank you all.

No, no allergies, but diagnosed with COPD in 2016.

Been pretty well managed until now, Fostair 2 puffs each morning and evening, Seebri once a day, Ventolin as and when, but not so good recently.

Marydoll, yes, weather can affect it, humid weather is definitely not good for me, but this seems to be more than weather related.

Liz46 Tue 24-Nov-20 20:19:01

I have an asthma attack if I walk upstairs soon after dinner. I suppose when my tummy is full, it is more of an effort.

I can walk briskly on a flat prom next to the river for about 40 minutes but if I walk in the local woods I think the leaf mould affects me at this time of year.

I had a sort of non-contagious TB and took three different AB every day for 18 months.

If I increase the inhaled steroid, it is more likely to come back and ideally the consultant wants me to reduce it so it's a bit of a no win situation.

I hope the doctor is able to help you tomorrow Phoenix. Please let us know how you get on.

Marydoll Tue 24-Nov-20 20:11:25

Damned if we exercise, (leaves us breathless), damned if we can't!

I wonder if it's the change of weather. I have been indoors for months, but now I have a cough. It's not Covid, it's more of a COPD cough.
Hopefully Phoenix, you will get some help tomorrow. ?